PDA

View Full Version : random thoughts

Dougy90
06-14-2009, 03:26 AM
so did some day dreaming today...
had the thought of putting an LS1 into the celi. I know it would be a ton of work and a butt load of $$...but would be sweet.

opinions?

Lonestag
06-14-2009, 04:10 AM
Well I think there might flat out not be enough room for it to fit in the engine bay.
If you did then you would probably have to lose power steering, AC and maybe even power breaks. (once again, just due to space).

Although I always think crazy swaps are cool, you would have a front wheel drive car with over 300hp, so it would be great on drags, but I don't know how well it would do in curves.

Not that you have one, but it might be more of a natural fit in a 3rd gen celie, if only because it's rwd and the engine is not mounted transversly.

If you do this swap, you would be in the pantheon of insane celies though.

KoreanJoey
06-14-2009, 05:48 AM
Um... why not just leave it in the firebird or camaro or corvette or *insert Government Motors Vehicle here* from which it came?

fibrewizard
06-14-2009, 07:48 AM
why not a lexus.......1UZ-FE.....quad cam V8.......have seen it done in a group A gt4 here is australia.........this one is also turbo'd..........

my next conversion will be a rwd 13btt celica......

alwayzsidewayz
06-14-2009, 08:43 AM
Car I would love to build if I had the money and the knowledge :

a ST165, with a longitudinal instead of transverse 3sgte 2.2 stroker engine, hooked up to a mitsi evo 10 6 speed transmission and active diffs. Trick Suspension with remote resivoir coliover etcs. Brembo 8 pots
With wide track and carbon fibre bodywork in the IMSA style. Fully caged through out, with the engine front "mid" mounted.

Bout 600bhp, less than 950kgs, a flat floor,with adjustable spoilers front and rear, would be a great track weapon.

Dont see the appeal of a V8 in a celica, unless its a gen 1 - 3, then thats a different kettle of fish!!!

usp45
06-14-2009, 11:20 PM
^I'll take a couple of those too ;) , but how about a fully built and tuned 2.7L 3rz-fte instead of the 3s-gte :D

Dougy90
06-15-2009, 06:57 AM
why not leave it in a firebird or transam...cuz those cars are gay! no offense to anyone who likes them just my opinion.

if i were to swap an LS1...i would make the car rwd. dont exactly know how i would go about it. these are all crazy thoughts, but anything can be done with enough money and time right lol

KoreanJoey
06-15-2009, 07:01 AM
... can it be done? Yes

is it worth it? Not likely

will it be worth driving? Probably not.

alwayzsidewayz
06-15-2009, 10:11 AM
^I'll take a couple of those too ;) , but how about a fully built and tuned 2.7L 3rz-fte instead of the 3s-gte :D

Only coz I know my way round a 3-gte, but like your thinking :laugh:

Add onto the list sequential gearbox, with paddle shift too.

*where is my lottery ticket?... checks family tree, no rich uncles or aunties, goes to check prices on line for Kidneys... nope still not got enough.. :-(

Mafix
06-15-2009, 01:45 PM
if you were really wanting to do this:
it would be a fun car
it would be horribly expensive, even if you did everything yourself
it would be nothing more than a toy, most toyota guys are purists
it would be worthless on any track, too much power for the turns and not enough grip for the strip
why ls1? if you are going to do all that work use an ls6
plan on extensive frame and suspension work

everyone forgets to look at where the steering rack is going to go. certainly can't stay where it it.

KoreanJoey
06-16-2009, 06:54 AM
everyone forgets to look at where the steering rack is going to go. certainly can't stay where it it.

Hell, it'd probably have to use a friggin relay rod.