PDA

View Full Version : Cressida dilemma.

Boycott!Swagger
06-13-2009, 10:19 PM
As much as i love my celica, i want to purchase yet another toyota. The more and more i think about, the more i want to buy a 92 cressida and do some work for a decent n/a rear wheel drive sedan.

1. Would supra bolt ons for 7m-ge engine work on 7m-ge cressida? I figure i would ask this and make life easier because supra isn't hard to shop for.

2. Do i really need this? With todays questionable economy and my lead foot should i really buy and spend on a car when i already have a respectable toyota?

3. If bought how far would i go with the car till im content? Twin turbo's are high maintnance but one helluva ride.

Answers and suggestions would be great.

Cavanagh
06-13-2009, 10:27 PM
It all depends on the money you want to spend. I really want a Cressida too, but funds do not allow me at this time.
1. Yes, everything will bolt up.
2.Thats your call. Do you? If you have the money for it, i say go for it! Because i sure as hell know i would! Two respectable Toyota's, (cressida being the ultimate sleeper) would be better then one respectable Toyota!
3. If i were you, and had the money to do it right, I would go 1JZGTE personally. I little cheaper then the 2J, and really fun. The JZ famliy motors were built for turbos, so i doubt it would be that much of a hassle as long as you properly maintain the car.

Just my two pennies.
Best of luck in whatever you do!

Boycott!Swagger
06-13-2009, 10:41 PM
I agree fully on the turbo factor. Within a few months i will have the money to buy the car and slowly build it up. As for the sleeper i personally think that mofo would run hard n/a. As much as i like the boost my car puts out and the pull of it. I kind of was thinking of just doing a solid n/a build, and eventually throwing a turbo on it. The turbo factor i think would put too much of a dent in my wallet.

Excuse my ignorance but did the 1jz come in the car? Either way i really look forward to doing the build if it happens. Thank you sirrr for your input.

VikingJZ
06-14-2009, 08:32 AM
It all depends on the money you want to spend. I really want a Cressida too, but funds do not allow me at this time.
1. Yes, everything will bolt up.
2.Thats your call. Do you? If you have the money for it, i say go for it! Because i sure as hell know i would! Two respectable Toyota's, (cressida being the ultimate sleeper) would be better then one respectable Toyota!
3. If i were you, and had the money to do it right, I would go 1JZGTE personally. I little cheaper then the 2J, and really fun. The JZ famliy motors were built for turbos, so i doubt it would be that much of a hassle as long as you properly maintain the car.

Just my two pennies.
Best of luck in whatever you do!

You have no idea what the ultimate sleeper is :)

As far as the Cressida goes, they're cool cars. You need to decide what is right for you though, as we can only be a guide.

You can do a lot with them.

Some guy down the road from me has an earlier Cressida. I want to say its a late 80's because it is still a four lug.

KoreanJoey
06-14-2009, 08:48 AM
Main problem with the 1jz is parts availability. It's not just that it wasn't available in the US, but the fact it's also older now and some of the parts haven't been manufactured in a while (and stock is getting low).

If you wanted to go that route, save the money and get a 2jz.

Cavanagh
06-15-2009, 01:19 AM
Excuse my ignorance but did the 1jz come in the car? Either way i really look forward to doing the build if it happens. Thank you sirrr for your input.
2.5L out of the Toyota Soarer(Not available here)
Imagine an SC300 with a 2.5L twin turbo!

Grot
06-15-2009, 02:51 AM
This is kinda relevant.
Was workin on one of my dads friends cars, just happened to be a cressida.

http://i80.photobucket.com/albums/j172/mutatis13/DSCF0454.jpg
http://i80.photobucket.com/albums/j172/mutatis13/DSCF0450.jpg

Nice car.

Thought the Trans fluid cap was interesting though.

http://i80.photobucket.com/albums/j172/mutatis13/DSCF0452.jpg
http://i80.photobucket.com/albums/j172/mutatis13/DSCF0451.jpg

Never seen anything say "Toyoda" before

andy
06-15-2009, 04:05 AM
thats the original name for toyota. Mr. Toyoda was the original owner. cressidas are awesome! my brother has one and we love it!

Grot
06-15-2009, 04:06 AM
I know it was the name, i had just never seen a part with that name on it.

Boycott!Swagger
06-15-2009, 04:28 AM
Yea...wantsssss damnit who wants to save me money and donate a cressida :D

Lonestag
06-15-2009, 04:30 AM
I think it would be sweet to have one.
They can be turned into one hell of a sleeper!

Now I want one...

mitchanger
06-15-2009, 05:47 PM
My uncle picked one up about a year ago and I have been hassling him for it ever since, I'm getting close ;)

Boycott!Swagger
06-15-2009, 09:36 PM
cressidatech anyone? lol

hobbie2k
06-16-2009, 04:22 PM
I was going to buy a 2nd gen Celica, but have been having a hard time finding one in okay shape (traveled 2,000 miles last week to view two separate cars and they both turned out to be junk, one mechanically bad, the other so rusted out it was unsalvageable). So I've been expanding my search to include other cars closer to home, and there's a 91 Cressida for sale in St. Paul I've been considering...the only thing is I was hoping for a manual...and I don't think Cressidas were offered with manuals in the US...

murphs76
06-16-2009, 07:35 PM
I was going to buy a 2nd gen Celica, but have been having a hard time finding one in okay shape (traveled 2,000 miles last week to view two separate cars and they both turned out to be junk, one mechanically bad, the other so rusted out it was unsalvageable). So I've been expanding my search to include other cars closer to home, and there's a 91 Cressida for sale in St. Paul I've been considering...the only thing is I was hoping for a manual...and I don't think Cressidas were offered with manuals in the US...

Here is a gen2 supra in excl. shape http://tinyurl.com/mvjq5b

murphs76
06-16-2009, 07:36 PM
Only problem is it is a auto wtf who buys a supra with auto!!

Boycott!Swagger
06-18-2009, 01:12 AM
you can do supra tranny swaps into them...so i've heard its quite easy

usp45
06-18-2009, 01:45 AM
you can do supra tranny swaps into them...so i've heard its quite easy

The hardest part is getting all the clutch related parts(wrecked supras get part-raped fast!) , other than that it's pretty straight forward.

OR you can setup an automatic to be paddle shifted.

85gtsblackman
06-20-2009, 08:01 PM
if u use a n/a 5speed aka a w58 theres several toyotas that have the exact same trans