PDA

View Full Version : chassis material

anachranerd
06-13-2009, 09:43 PM
Hey guys and gals,

Does anybody know the exact kind of metal used in the frame/chassis on the 88 celicas? Is it steel? Or some kind of steel mix?

POlishing my bay to a mirror, and need to know the type so I can get the right abrasives...

Thanks all

KoreanJoey
06-14-2009, 01:32 AM
I'm fairly sure it's just steel...

Not positive though.

Nitro_Alltrac
06-14-2009, 04:37 AM
I think Joey's right. At that time they weren't using any of the newer steel alloys/blends.

anachranerd
06-23-2009, 07:59 PM
sweet, thanks for the reply guys.

steel is a bitch to work with at times.

tuner4life
06-29-2009, 01:27 PM
Be sure to show pics of you bay when it is finished, that would be really cool to have it all polished. Would you just clear coat over the polished metal to keep it from rusting?

anachranerd
07-02-2009, 11:52 PM
Be sure to show pics of you bay when it is finished, that would be really cool to have it all polished. Would you just clear coat over the polished metal to keep it from rusting?

Definitely will post pics. Its taking a long time. There are some very DEEP scratches that i have to repeatedly sand with 60 grit.

I am planning on using some clear coat from POR-15 on it. Already have it, its called GLISTEN PC. Once im done polishing ill let you guys know how the painting works out!

Brian

maxwedge
07-05-2009, 12:13 PM
Are you polishing the whole car or did I misunderstand? If so what are you going to do about all the plastic panels/bumpers and the body filler in the roof pillar seems etc. Can't exactly polish those. Also steel will never polish up like aluminum or stainless will. It's too porous and not really the right color. Raw steel has a lot of carbon and iron in it and is more of a dark grey. You can get it somewhat shiny, but it will never be the mirror like shine of polished aluminum.

anachranerd
07-05-2009, 07:56 PM
Not polishing the whole car. Just the engine bay. Whole car polished is a little TOO blingy for me. I just like how professional/eleganty the hardware/engine/bay looks all shiny and mirror like.

You are right. Steel is a BITCH to get completely right. I have been working on sanding just part of the bay for weeks. Basically what I want to have completely mirror is the part of the bay above the radiator/condenser core is, and the sides of the bay like the strut towers. Those parts I am literally sanding out all the really deep gouges and everything that show when you hold it up to the light. The rest of the bay I want close to mirror, but im not going to spend hours upon hours getting out small, deep gouges.

The outside(body) of the car I want to paint midnight blue. I like really dark blue. That isnt getting touched right now. The paint is going to cost me 1000$$. I also need to save for suspension parts and a billion other things. So while I save Im doing the inexpensive and time consuming work.