PDA

View Full Version : timing lunacy

Simonhla
06-11-2009, 11:13 PM
So I decided to check the timing on my engine and I swear the notch was way beyond the 15 mark. More like somewhere around 25. I have been using 89 octane. God knows how long this has been happening!

I am worried I may have caused damage to my engine but have not noticed or heard anything.

I retarded it significantly back to about 15 and have been running 93. The car is much better to drive now.

Anything I should be aware of at this point?

joe's gt
06-11-2009, 11:59 PM
Correct me if I'm wrong, but aren't n/a celicas suppose to run off 87 or 89. I think 93 is too high of octane. Its mostly for performance engines such as the 3sgte. I would think 93 would burn too slow for the 5s.

Galcobar
06-12-2009, 12:14 AM
Considering stock timing is 10 degrees BTDC and he's running it at 15, a higher octane might be advisable (assuming I correctly understand ignition timing).

Dougy90
06-12-2009, 12:45 AM
93 octane is a little bit high, but i wouldnt worry too much. if it were me i would advance the timing to 15 BTDC. just a question...how did the timing get so out of whack?

Lonestag
06-12-2009, 01:11 AM
I know we had another user here find that their timing was way advanced (maybe one of the Indy folks if memory serves), and they didn't do any damage to the block. I think at some point the ECU might pull timing or some other system might prevent the damage.

I think 15 btc and 93 octance will go together fine.

Simonhla
06-12-2009, 01:54 AM
Well my Celi is a '92 so it is equipped with a knock sensor which I believe retards the timing in the event of knock occurring.

As for how it got so out of whack I have no idea. However....when I replaced the coil I obviously had to remove the distributor and as we all know to tamper with the timing you have to loosen the distributor bolts and turn it either clockwise or anticlockwise. Is it possible that when I put it back on I didn't put it in the same position as before? I thought that this only took effect if the car was in diagnostic mode.

Somebody much more knowledgable than we will have to fill us in.

Lonestag
06-12-2009, 02:13 AM
Actually, it doesn't have to be in diagnostic mode (if I recall correctly). Wouldn't turning your distrubuter physically change when the spark is fired? I mean, if your shifing the contact points backawrds, it makes sense that the rotor would hit them sooner and throw the spark sooner...

Your right about sombody who knows a little more then us probably having a better idea of whats going on, I'm just enjoying trying to figure it out.

rizin
06-12-2009, 02:39 AM
From what I know and that isn't much. But why you put the car in diagnosic mode is to disable the ecu from changing the timing. So then you set the timing at 10 degrees without the ecu interfering. Out of diagnostic mode the ecu then will change the timing as its map needs.

andy
06-12-2009, 04:10 AM
i ran my 5sfe at almost full advance and used 93. i just turned it up till it knocked then backed it down a bit. ran like that for 4 years before i swapped. no problems.

joe's gt
06-13-2009, 07:45 AM
sorry. lol didn't read the post thoroughly. Yeah, run higher octane as everyone else suggested if your keeping it at 15*. my bad. Thought you set is back to 10*.