PDA

View Full Version : My car is eating headlights

suprPHREAK
12-05-2004, 11:40 PM
They seem to burn out at a rather high rate.

What could cause this?

What should I check?

Thanks!

triksterut
12-05-2004, 11:51 PM
Hmmm,

Make sure your head lamp assemblies are still sealed rather well. Could be a bad connection somewhere..anyone hacked around on your harness at all? Voltage regulator?

Sean
12-06-2004, 12:19 AM
What type of car? What headlight style?

MOst likely theres water in your housings, causing your lights to burn out. Or, your putttin the wrong bulb in there, too high wattage for the factory wiring.

suprPHREAK
12-06-2004, 01:34 AM
sorry, 1993 celica GTS. Using the sealed-beam type bulbs, so I doubt its water in them. It is also standard wattage. Ill have to test the voltage I guess.

osafie
12-06-2004, 05:12 AM
Hey, I am new here, but I think this is a great site. Much better than celica.net. I was there for a and I did not like how rude some of the people were.

Anyways, my car was doing the same thing for a while, and mine was because the actual headlight housing was slightly lose. The car had been in an accident before it got to me. Check to make that the headlights or assemblies are not lose because that can cause the headlights to die out prematurely.

Hope this helps
osafie

muxon
12-06-2004, 05:50 AM
My right side ate three silverstars in like a year. Other side was regular. Iunno...

Sucks at like $20 a bulb though.

Aust162
12-06-2004, 06:38 AM
could be caused by vibrations... Are the headlight brackets tight?check that the plug onto the headlight isn't damaged and the rubber cover is still on it. could be moisture too, as someone suggested earlier.
my 0.02c

Slider
12-06-2004, 07:22 AM
My right side ate three silverstars in like a year. Other side was regular. Iunno...

Sucks at like $10 a bulb though.
:squint: All the places around here have silverstars for $20 each. $40 for 2. Do you happen to have a hookup? If yes I would love a pair for $20 :D

Blackcloud
12-07-2004, 05:28 AM
:imwihtstupid:

id take some silver stars for $20 a pair!

muxon
12-07-2004, 07:35 AM
:squint: All the places around here have silverstars for $20 each. $40 for 2. Do you happen to have a hookup? If yes I would love a pair for $20 :D

Heh.. yeah I meant to type $20.. sorry.

:wiggle:

I blame beer.

Sean
12-07-2004, 10:47 AM
sorry, 1993 celica GTS. Using the sealed-beam type bulbs, so I doubt its water in them. It is also standard wattage. Ill have to test the voltage I guess.

Trace the wires, make sure theres no open spots, there is a decent ground, and the wires are complete. Otherwise, you should have no issues.....

How often are we talking here?

spoolin_gt
12-12-2004, 07:25 PM
check your wires...some could be touching each other..causing your bulbs to burn....just check all 3 wires...and make sure that they're not cut or anything....

ded
12-19-2004, 02:47 AM
:imwihtstupid:

id take some silver stars for $20 a pair!

I think advance auto parts is doing a thing right now w/ silverstars, buy one, get one half off...i've considered doing it for my highbeams...only have the lows now

(I don't mean to hijack the thread, so I'll throw out a guess at the problem..)

If the fuse for the headlight is a wrong fuse, like too high of a wattage, would that cause a problem??? I'm not really sure what the headlight fuses are, but I figured I'd give some sort of solution, as to not totally be off topic :hehe: