PDA

View Full Version : Proud Owner of an Almost free Celica

JCelica200xxx
06-07-2009, 06:36 AM
So My Uncle has decided to give me his 1992 celica gt with 213xxx miles on it for the price of an axle for the celica.

I've always loved how this year celica looked, especially the all trac model.
*I dont know too much about this car*

As you know i am just brainstorming some ideas right now, i don't know if i have enought money to do what i plan. so here goes. Plus i dont know if its wise to keep tuning a 5s that has 200xxx+ miles

I just want to rebuild this engine. I wouldn't mind swapping a 3s-gte but i want to run this engine for a good year or two until the engine gives out

Buy rebuilding the engine ill have to start from the bottom up.

or what i do want to try out is turbo the 5sfe

My theory is that if i turbo this engine i could be rolling 135-140ps(estimate) because i want to test out a suspension setup my bro did for his friends 2000 celica. By doing this setup and since the 92 celica is a little lighter i could floor it pretty good with the turbo. I really don't plan to Drag with it, although it would be cool, im not in to it as much. However Autocrossing I've always wanted to try it so thats why i want to turbo.

And will the turbo Blow this engine up?

I know if i go straight NA it will be roaring at every corner i take.

Please give a beginner any advice. Please don't be harsh about it Thank you.

importrcr13
06-07-2009, 07:12 AM
I'll be the first

:worthless

METDeath
06-07-2009, 01:59 PM
Uh... your car is 130HP and 140TQ (crank) stock. Small turbos (CT26, stock on the All-trac) can put it in the 250WHP and 275WTQ range, with a good tune. Here (http://www.6gc.net/forums/index.php?showtopic=23187&st=0) is the well known 5S turbo write up. Since you have a Rev 2 motor, you will be fine, although some people have more success with the AEM FI/C instead of the SAFC or eManage systems.

Which at the point in your motor's life, it could well blow up the motor in a short while, if the motor has never been rebuilt, it has a very high chance of blowing up with added power.

Many argue that the price to swap the motor is cheaper than turbo charging it, which it is close. However, when you swap, you start out with a motor that's already turbo'd and has plenty of potential to upgrade.

As for auto cross, most of the people I speak to, prefer NA cars for auto cross since there's no turbo "lag". Which could force you to oversteer your car in the middle of getting on the throttle or just generally overwhelm the tires and cause you to lose traction if you don't have the right set up.

Also, what suspension set up were you referring to? The 7th gen and 5th gen are very different cars in most every respect.

Shadowlife25
06-07-2009, 11:50 PM
Moved to General Discussion. This is obviously NOT a project thread. Congrats on the car and welcome to the site. Feel free to check the stickies, they have alot of information you may find useful. :)

tuner4life
06-08-2009, 01:21 PM
Welcome to C-tech! Cant wait to see some pics of your car. Looks like you have some neat plans, search around and you will find lots of useful info.

JCelica200xxx
06-08-2009, 02:22 PM
the suspension i was planning to set it up was (like i said i dont know too much) make the rear stiff by approx 400lbs and 375lbs in the front (i might need help on whats good to do for suspension) and the suspension/ coilovers i might be using tein mono flex.

But this project will be a long time for me to complete since i am just only 18 and my job pays pretty crappy.

Plus pics will come in pretty soon

JCelica200xxx
06-08-2009, 05:38 PM
well this is pretty crappy i was going to take pictures when my celica is not there. So i am pretty pissed off that someone stole it. waiting for PO to find its location

JCelica200xxx
06-20-2009, 08:57 PM
well its been 2 or 3 weeks since i last posted this up. and well my celica was parted and all that was left was my exhaust, breaks and everything are gone ; ;. So i'm going to have to look for another replacement, debating whether i should get a mk2 supra or a 1970 celicamy dad's friend is selling for 4k

Nitro_Alltrac
06-21-2009, 12:01 AM
Damn dude, that sucks! Sorry to hear about the car.

JCelica200xxx
06-26-2009, 03:52 PM
its all good man, still looking for a car ^^

Cavanagh
06-26-2009, 04:04 PM
Snatch that 1st gen Celica ASAP man.