PDA

View Full Version : put on a new header - terrible noise

Simonhla
06-04-2009, 08:29 PM
So I put on my new ebay header last night. What should have been the easiest task instead turned into an utter nightmare with one bolt that wouldn't come off....After drilling, torching and cursing it eventually gave.

So on she went.

Drove around for a while and it was great. Pick up was better, everything was smoother and it wasn't really any louder. Maybe a very, very slight rattle but i tighten the crap out of the bolts so didn't really know where that came from.

Then half way to work it started making an awful noise. The kind of noise you'd get if there was a hole in your exhaust. Sounded like a flippin tractor. I was embarrassed to accelerate. Any ideas why?

I used the gasket that game with it between the header and the block but the one they gave to go with flange to the exhaust pipe, the hole was a little too small. So I just used the ring that was already on there. Could this be the problem? It kinda sounds like it is coming from the connection to the block though, although I can't be sure yet.

Anyone have experience with this sort of thing?

tuner4life
06-04-2009, 08:39 PM
I am not sure what your problem could be, but what I did was cut the provided gasket hole a bit bigger to fit onto the exhaust. Listen to it under the hood and you should be able to find the cause or at least the location of the noise pretty quickly.

importrcr13
06-04-2009, 09:22 PM
sounds like you have an exhaust leak... I would take the header off, check to make sure your gasket is good /\

Usually I would just replace it, then put the bolts to factory spec torq. Dont go too tight or you'll regret it... trust me

Simonhla
06-04-2009, 09:45 PM
sounds like you have an exhaust leak... I would take the header off, check to make sure your gasket is good /\

Usually I would just replace it, then put the bolts to factory spec torq. Dont go too tight or you'll regret it... trust me

Oh. I just tightened them good and proper with a socket wrench.
I'll be rechecking it all when I get back.

Ads28
06-04-2009, 10:19 PM
If you got the ebay header like mine..check and make sure the second O2 hole has the bolt in it and its nice and tight...when i first installed mine that bolt was loose so i had a horrible rattle under ma hood until i figured it out and tighted the nut up...If it was loose when u put it in theres a chance it totally fell out..

Simonhla
06-04-2009, 10:22 PM
Sounds very much like it is coming from where the mani meets the block. It makes it sound like it is a harley or something. Sounds rough as f*ck.

Simonhla
06-04-2009, 10:27 PM
If you got the ebay header like mine..check and make sure the second O2 hole has the bolt in it and its nice and tight...when i first installed mine that bolt was loose so i had a horrible rattle under ma hood until i figured it out and tighted the nut up...If it was loose when u put it in theres a chance it totally fell out..

Dude. spot on. exactly what it was. The bolt has fallen out completely. What flippin size is it so I can put something else in there? I'd like to not have to take the whole thing off again to find out.

Ads28
06-04-2009, 10:50 PM
haha Nice glad I could help :bigthumbu ..as for the size :lolhittin I have no clue, I could run outside n tell ya wat size socket needed for the head of the bolt thats bout it

Which is 19mm...tried to give it a lil turn to take it out, but no go..and I dont wanna try seein how its sealed up nicly n i dont wanna F**k wit it

METDeath
06-04-2009, 11:15 PM
It's a second hole for a second O2 sensor, right? just find the thread size/pitch of a wideband o2 sensor.

importrcr13
06-04-2009, 11:40 PM
or you could buy a multi bolt, washer & nut kit... and choose which one will fit out of them... I know i got one from Waly-world (walmart) for like 15-20$ it has every size bolt imaginable with lock washer & nut. The ones you don't use will come in handy in the future :)

Grot
06-05-2009, 01:13 AM
id have to agree with import.

You can never have too many nuts or bolts

Simonhla
06-05-2009, 04:12 AM
I ended up going to a repair shop and asking them if they had a wideband o2 sensor that was broken. They did. So I pulled off the wire and threaded it in the hole. Problem solved and it was free......

I had the manufacturer send me a replacement just in case. T'was $10 shipped.

So in the last few days I have installed the new header, changed to denso iridiums and put a new ignition coil in. Celi is loving me right now!

Thanks all.

Okctrd
06-05-2009, 05:20 AM
good to know you got the leak fixed, does the header make it sound louder than stock?

importrcr13
06-05-2009, 06:30 AM
does the header make it sound louder than stock?

That's kind of a no brainer... Its longer straighter pipes, sound will not only be louder (not by much) but will sound more crisp and deeper (throaty)

david in germany
06-05-2009, 07:03 AM
Get a torque wrench asap and a new gasket. Replace the gasket and torque to specs before it it too late!!! As he header expands from the heat it WILL pull the studs and then you will need to fix the head.

MrWOT
06-05-2009, 07:13 AM
changed to denso iridiums

:bigthumbu

theorhetoric
06-06-2009, 12:02 AM
Get a torque wrench asap and a new gasket. Replace the gasket and torque to specs before it it too late!!! As he header expands from the heat it WILL pull the studs and then you will need to fix the head.

He's not kidding!

Simonhla
06-06-2009, 02:57 PM

Ok how urgent is this. The n.m for these bolts are 49 if I read the bgb correctly. My torque wrench only goes up to 24 so I'll have to buy a new one and that may take a few days, what with work etc. But if it is really urgent then i will leave work today and head straight to a garage and have them do it for me.

How tight would I have to have done them to pull the studs? I was using a 3/8's socket wrench and i didn't use excessive force but i did do them really tight. I didn't use an air drill or anything.

david in germany
06-06-2009, 04:10 PM
Recheck the torque specs you have, The 4afe it is only 18lbs.

I just checked my Chilton's, your 5sfe needs 38ft lbs.

Every time the header heats up it is doing more damage so it is pretty important!

Simonhla
06-06-2009, 04:17 PM
Yeah the bgb says 36lbs. I'll stop by a garage today and get them to adjust them. Do I really need a new gasket if they are just adjusting the torque slightly?

And can they do it while it is hot or do they have to wait for it to cool down? Coz i have to skip off work to get it done and i need to drive the car there and wait for them to do it so I can drive back......

david in germany
06-06-2009, 05:40 PM
Yeah the bgb says 36lbs. I'll stop by a garage today and get them to adjust them. Do I really need a new gasket if they are just adjusting the torque slightly?

And can they do it while it is hot or do they have to wait for it to cool down? Coz i have to skip off work to get it done and i need to drive the car there and wait for them to do it so I can drive back......
It depends on the gasket material. If it has the metal port opening then overtightning it will crush it to far and loosening it will cause it to leak. If ist is a soft compound it may be ok. give it a shot, the worst thing can happen is you need a new gasket, (cheaper than a new head).

Simonhla
06-06-2009, 05:42 PM
ok. Thanks so much. You may have saved me a fortune with this advice. If you hadn't told me I never would have known.

EDIT: Final update. I went to a shop, let it cool for a while and had them tighten the nuts to factory torque specs. Turns out that they were all pretty much dead on anyway, and one was perhaps a little too lose. Did it to 38lbs.

No gasket leak...yet.

Thanks to everyone who contributed.

david in germany
06-06-2009, 07:04 PM
Good to hear! With the difference in specs between the 4afe and 5sfe it looks like the 5sfe may be a little more forgiving than the 4afe if it is too tight.

By the way, I learned the hard way with my 4afe and when I got my 4runner the head on the 22re was allready leaking at the exhaust manifold (rebuilt engine with about 50k miles on it) and the previous owner never touched a wrench to teh truck so I can assume it was the people that installed it.

:)