PDA

View Full Version : Hit a pot hole now getting a CEL

Simonhla
06-03-2009, 04:47 PM
I hit a HUGE pothole this morning on the way to work, a few seconds later my CEL came on. I did the E1 Te1 bridge to run the diagnostic and it threw out a 52. I looked in the bgb guide and found that was the knock sensor.

All good so far.

But, where is it exactly. Is it likely I got knocked (forgive the pun) loose by the impact? Is it easy to get to? I hate driving around with my cel on.

T-spoon
06-03-2009, 05:05 PM
Did the CEL come back after getting the code and clearing it?

Simonhla
06-03-2009, 05:54 PM
Good question. I just jumped the diagnostic port and got the code. In fact when I started the engine the CEL wasn't on any more but when I ran the diagnostic the code came through. How would i clear it? Don't I need to remove the EFI 15A fuse or something or does running the diagnostic clear it?

I just drove her around the parking lot of my work a little, revved the engine some, and no CEL came on.

I should also say I put a new ignition coil in a couple of days ago but didn't check my timing afterwards because I didn't have a timing light handy. I will be doing so later today. Could that be related at all?

It was just very obvious that the CEL came on right after I hit the huge pot hole.

andy
06-03-2009, 09:02 PM
yeah, most likley your knock sensor picked up that pothole a bit. reset your ecu by doing the fuse removal or battery disconect thing. if it pops back on your sensor is on the back of the engine block with 1 wire comming out of it. prob needs a replace, go to junkyard for it. the coil wont affect your timing. just watch it for awhile if it stays off then your prob fine.

Luni
06-03-2009, 09:05 PM
52 is a short.

That pothole knocked your sensors plug out.

52 isnt cause it "registered knock" andy.

Its under the intake manifold

Simonhla
06-03-2009, 10:12 PM
Thanks. It's just great to be able to tap this knowledge pool on here.

The word awesome is constantly over used in common parlance but I can safely say with a complete degree of certainty that this place is, indeed, awesome.