PDA

View Full Version : ELECTRIC is the future!!!

joe's gt
05-29-2009, 05:43 AM
Thought you guys might like this. Gotta love max torque from 0-maximum rpm.
Whoever doesn't think electric is the future will doubt no more.

Yes I know the electric car is 1500 lbs less...but impressive nonetheless.

This was a link sent to us by our internal combustion engines professor.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OXqYbNEiW0Y&NR=1

geebes
05-29-2009, 07:29 AM
nice. Looks like the ariel atom

goretro77
05-29-2009, 10:33 AM
nice. Looks like the ariel atom

Yes it is. A great chassis to use since its very lightweight and mated up to a electric powerplant.

geebes
05-29-2009, 04:04 PM
oh, well that would explain it...lol.

Cavanagh
05-31-2009, 05:02 PM
Wow, VERY fast!

GT4SOM
05-31-2009, 06:11 PM
Thats pretty fast. I wouldn't say its the future. Hydrogen might be the way.

Galcobar
06-01-2009, 12:00 AM
Hydrogen's got two big issues: costs more energy to produce than it stores, and it's not particularly good at storing energy (much more energy in an equivalent volume of gasoline). The third is that it requires water, and water is itself getting scarce.

joe's gt
06-01-2009, 08:54 AM
Also, transportability, storage, and filling up is much more expensive to implement.

IMO, hydrogen will never be used to fuel cars. Just too expensive to implement and additionally the reasons Galcobar mentioned above.

Hipster Lawrence
06-01-2009, 06:11 PM
Hydrogen's got two big issues: costs more energy to produce than it stores, and it's not particularly good at storing energy (much more energy in an equivalent volume of gasoline). The third is that it requires water, and water is itself getting scarce.

Why does it require water. Seems like it would produce water maybe my thinking is backwards.

Also as far as I know we have the same amount of water now as we have always had... right?

GT4SOM
06-02-2009, 12:10 AM
^ He's confusing scarce with shortage.

GT4SOM
06-02-2009, 12:33 AM
At one point I was convinced that battery powered electric cars was the future. Right now, I don't see it very promising. The downfall of battery powered cars is the weight of the battery, the charging time, the range and the recycling of the batteries every few years. I believe the battery powered electric cars do have their market share, but it's not a very significant one to dramatically change the industry.

Hydrogen on the other hand, has the potential for the range, the fill up time is a few minutes not hours, and we already have an infrastructure to support it. There is no need to produce hydrogen in a production plant and then transport the gas to the filling stations. The stations can actually produce the hydrogen right on site. With that said, hydrogen can be stored in tanks as distilled water until its ready to be used. In the future, gas tankers might actually be carrying the necessary distilled water to the fuel stations for production on site..

hemlocke
06-02-2009, 01:12 AM
The biggest problems with hydrogen right now are the availability of stations that can provide it and the highly pressurized tanks that vehicles would need to be fitted with (And the hazards associated with that).