PDA

View Full Version : wierd leaking

usp45
05-27-2009, 11:03 AM
One day my jack compartment in the rear of the car was normal but the factory tire iron case thing reeeked of mold, so I threw it away and completely forgot about it. Yesterday I open it up to get my tire iron out... And it was completely filled with rain or carwash water. Now I know where the mold came from.

anywho... Where the hell should I look for the leak?

CriScO
05-27-2009, 06:44 PM
Either the hatch seal or the seal around the quarter panel window.

RedRkt01
05-27-2009, 07:26 PM
Either the hatch seal or the seal around the quarter panel window.

I agree. It could also leak in where the hatch lifts bolt to the frame.

Kool-aid_Man
05-28-2009, 03:59 AM
After it rains open up your trunk and find out where the water is coming in from (what's wet the farthest up). My personal guess is its the rubber seal around the lip that the entire hatch touches. If your really unlucky, the channel that the water is supposed to run through (you'll often find bits of debris in it, like leaves and maple seeds) could have rusted out allowing water into you trunk. That's my guess, the hatch latch could also be the point of entry. (1st Edit:) Also could be caused by your hatch not seating properly, that might be what you want to check if the point of entry is the big seal and it looks fine or it keeps up after you replace it. (2nd Edit:) Also also: It's a /possibility/ that it could be a windshield washer fluid leak... maybe. Consider how often you use it, if you have a rear sprayer, if the flow has been spurty (air getting into line) weak (hole in line?) or not working (broken/disconnected line?). ... Maybe.

KoreanJoey
05-28-2009, 07:56 AM
Also check the spoiler.

88st165
05-28-2009, 09:14 PM
im going to bet that its the quarter window. i have this problem on all three of my 165s. the water travels down the top quarter window trim and into the trunk area.

RedRkt01
05-28-2009, 09:38 PM
im going to bet that its the quarter window. i have this problem on all three of my 165s. the water travels down the top quarter window trim and into the trunk area.

How the hell do we fix that?

andy
05-28-2009, 10:07 PM
new seal man!

88st165
05-28-2009, 10:12 PM
Aside from unbolting the window, taking it off, and having it resealed? (Im thinking about this if the other options dont work)

I tried using flowable silicone and it held up for about a year but its now leaking again. Next im going to try and see if I can flow some por15 in there or Im going to try and pick up some 3M window weld if I can acess the area of the leak with the tip that the tube comes with.

RedRkt01
05-28-2009, 10:17 PM
I'm thinking my window is coming off.

CriScO
05-28-2009, 11:55 PM
I'm thinking my window is coming off.
Be very, very careful. They break easy, as we learned with my GT-S.

usp45
05-29-2009, 12:41 AM
Maybe I'll install a sump pump like they do with the historic wooden ships :D

I think I'll try silicone for now.

RedRkt01
05-29-2009, 04:51 PM
Be very, very careful. They break easy, as we learned with my GT-S.

Please elaborate.

CriScO
05-29-2009, 09:18 PM
Just make sure you have a good strong wire to cut the seal with, and only pull on the glass to seperate it very gently. If there's much resistance, cut again. Don't force it at all.

RedRkt01
05-29-2009, 09:31 PM
Thanks for the heads up. That'll save me a headache and a half.

alwayzsidewayz
05-30-2009, 01:08 PM
Agree its more likely the rear qtr window, mine did this, changed the seal and it was fine. ( i cheated, a window installer did mine) its a pain of a job.

schnee
06-02-2009, 03:46 PM
My tip is to remove the rubber plugs from behind the rear mud guards - allows water to simply run out and keep those compartments dry.
Also remove the rear paneling and seat paneling and paint the inside of the rear fenders with rust converter (The one I use is white and dries to a purple plasticky type stuff) as the rear wheel wells are already prone to rusting from the inside out.

Doesn't solve the window problem but could save a lot of money and heartache later on? I believe Iron oxide is another alternative but I never liked the look of that stuff.

Im drilling holes in the door sills and any other blind panels and spraying the stuff in wherever I can, be interesting to see how long it lasts.