PDA

View Full Version : Oil Spill

Baffles
05-26-2009, 02:45 AM
I had a quart of oil that was opened, but unneeded (so cap back on it) laying on my front seat. After the car sat baking in the sun, apparently the oil expanded, because the cap jumped some threads on the bottle, and oil spilled on the seat. Not much of it spilled at all, but now I can smell oil in my car. I blotted all out that I could get, and used some water and carpet cleaner on the seat and wetvaced it out. There's still some residue left it seems... anyone have any ideas for getting it out? Maybe some dawn or something?

joe's gt
05-26-2009, 03:56 AM
For the odor and cleanup I would suggest vinegar and baking soda. Works wonders in the house for fabrics and carpet.

CriScO
05-26-2009, 06:03 AM
If anyone says to ask me, let me say "go to hell" in advance. :hehe:

But to stay on topic, I'd go with Joe's suggestion. Safest method. You can always try a degreaser, something like Dawn would be the safest, but if you do make sure to test it on an unseen area of fabric, it may take the dye with it.

METDeath
05-26-2009, 11:54 PM
Or you could get lucky and find a seat in your local junkyard for around $20 bucks.

Ryan
05-27-2009, 03:29 AM
Carpet/interior cleaner. They sell it at parts stores. You can also try steam cleaning.

joe's gt
05-28-2009, 02:51 AM
Carpet/interior cleaner. They sell it at parts stores. You can also try steam cleaning.

Forgot about that. Vinegar and baking soda with a steam cleaner is the most effective and cheapest way. Providing you have a steam cleaner that is.

I got couches off craigslist which reeked of cat piss ( thought it was just the house they were in until I got them home ). Cat urine is pretty much the hardest possible thing to get out. Vinegar and baking soda with a steam cleaner got the smell out. If it can get cat urine out, it can get ANYTHING out.

Just google about it and you'll see the process. Its pretty easy and effective.

Baffles
05-30-2009, 03:22 PM
I don't have a steam cleaner though.

Baffles
05-30-2009, 05:29 PM
No junkyards either.

I did put cornstarch on it, it absorbed some of what was left. The rest of it I used water and dawn after testing, it didnt' take any dye but it did seem to take a lot of the oil. There's still a little bit of oily residue, if it doesn't go away I'll do another cleaning run on it, but the odor is gone. I drenched the seat with water, vac'd it out with a shopvac, then hit it with a somewhat weak dawn+water combo, worked it into the fabric, vac'd it out, repeated several times and rinsed it a few times with water+vac. Now I'll wait for it to fully dry out (shouldn't take long with my car baking in the sun) and see what happens.