PDA

View Full Version : shimless buckets

freestylebiker33
05-22-2009, 11:21 AM
i read a bunch of old threads about this topic and yet didn't find the answer i wanted.....9months in to my engine build and 10k plus in money, there is one thing i never thought about.. is shim less buckets.. i figured the stock buckets are good quality which will with-stand allot of abuse. i have 272 hks cams and engle valve springs with stocks shim over buckets.. so i hear shim less is the way to go, it is lighter, and u will not have any shim popping out problems.. but there is the bad also.. the spring and cam combo can be to ruff on the shim less buckets and destroy them... at this point my head is fully built and read to go, besides the buckets.. should i change them to shim less my planed hp goal is around 500hp

alltracman78
05-22-2009, 04:44 PM
Forget your HP goal, what's your planned redline?

vip09
05-22-2009, 05:03 PM
Well, I've read that the only people that had problems with shims spitting out (which was only a handful of people) were running stock valve springs. As long as you have a good set of springs to go with those cams you will be fine. I'm running the ATS/Engle valve springs with my HKS 264 cams and haven't had any issues.

Trance4c
05-22-2009, 05:20 PM
Yep, its usually a combination of high revs and valve springs. If you plan to go over 8K you should do stiffer springs for the cams. If not, you should be able to get away with the original shim and buckets on cams.

freestylebiker33
05-23-2009, 07:09 AM
i see, soo this is a valve floating issue then... sounds good thanks