PDA

View Full Version : Considering 3rd gen

hemlocke
05-19-2009, 10:46 PM
I have always liked the 3rd gens, plus the fact that I am "old school" with regard to FR cars, so I am definitely considering a 3rd gen GT-S or Supra. What are things to look for? (Besides rust, which does not do well here)
I don't know much about the 22RE, but I guess the temptation of a 7MGTE or 2JZ is always out there. Thoughts?

Fox 21 Alpha
05-19-2009, 10:58 PM
Rust.

hemlocke
05-19-2009, 11:15 PM
Yeah, in Pennsylvania you guys have to contend with the rust, but in Amarillo, Texas, rust is a color, not an affliction that affects ferrous compounds.

cbarett251
05-22-2009, 01:57 AM
you don't want a 7mgte unless you just enjoy regular engine maintenance....not good for daily driver
a 2jz swap would be better but costs around $3500 if you go with w58 trans
a 3rd gen gts would be great 22RE is super reliable look for one with a w58 5speed it's a great combo and lots of fun+good daily driver only problem is finding something other than a vert

importrcr13
05-22-2009, 02:26 AM
7MGTE's require the same maintenance as any other Toyota engine, they're just more prone to head gasket issues... I had a 87 supra T, one time i didn't change the oil for 4-5k past the change due, Ran fine no issues... only issue i've ever had with it was the a/c compressor went out... so as far as the 7mgte is concerned its a great engine, but just old technology... the 1jz would be sweet, its lighter than 2jz and you can still push some good power out of it... 22R would be a great motor if you're going to stick with N/A

Fox 21 Alpha
05-22-2009, 04:22 AM
I have a 22R in mine and I can say they are tanks. Heard rumors of a guy running 45 miles on just one quart of oil once. But really, all the problems I've had with my car, never had any really with the 22R itself, maybe a broken belt here, new carb seal, PCV and other stupid crap but other then that, 200k and still trucking.

The engine can take a lot too, I drive to Virginia from PA monthly, with no problems. Took it out to the race track for gymkhana, and again, not a single issue. Not even during high reving drifting hard ass turns....nothing. Even the car itself didn't have issues. Gotta really try to kill a 3rd gen.

When your buying one like I said biggest problem is rust, other then that, nothing special to really look for on the car/engine itself. They are old, so see if you can check belts/seals/fluids, regular maintenance helps out a lot if it was done. Other then that if you can get one with a nice interior cause when they break stuff in there can kinda suck to get your hands on it. RWD FTW.

andy
05-22-2009, 04:40 AM
only thing to worry about is major engine damage and rust. mostly on the doors and hatch, engine is a tank, will not die.

85gtsblackman
05-22-2009, 06:27 AM
my 311,000 mile 22re i only tore apart cause the trans died(when i got the car 5 years ago the trans was empty, 5 years later the layshaft bearings went) the timing chain needs done, and ITS HAD A SLIGHT BOTTOM END KNOCK FOR 20K MILES

theres many engines u can put in a 3rd gen but before i reccomend one i need to know the duty of this car. personally if i had the cash the only other 2 engines id want as a daily would be a 5vzfe or a 1uzfe. both are about as reliable as a 22re.

also unlike the 3sfe 5s 4a and 7a the 22re has aftermarket parts :wiggle:

renegadex
05-23-2009, 04:17 PM
I like my 5MGE!

Though I really want a 1JZ

hemlocke
05-23-2009, 08:04 PM
What about 5-bolt conversions for the wheels? What are the possibilities?

VikingJZ
05-23-2009, 08:24 PM
The R engines are ridiculously strong.

Save for the carb issue, my 1st gen runs like a dream.