PDA

View Full Version : can not rev over 4000rpm

CoolHand1134
05-18-2009, 08:54 PM
i was going down the highway and was keeping up with this bmw (not racing just speeding) and my car would barely make it over 4000rpm never had a problem with it before. it has a hard time doing it in any gear now! any ideas?

Slider
05-18-2009, 10:00 PM
Any CELs? When was the last time you did a tune up? How's the timing? When did you change the timing belt last? Clogged cat? Any weird noises? Pinging?

importrcr13
05-18-2009, 10:11 PM
Any CELs? When was the last time you did a tune up? How's the timing? When did you change the timing belt last? Clogged cat? Any weird noises? Pinging?

What is flooded spark plugs for $100.00?

CoolHand1134
05-18-2009, 10:18 PM

timing belt and water pump are getting changed this weekend coming up (dont know when it was last done) timing was checked 2 days ago, might be a clogged cat, swaping out stock header for aftermarket one this weekend maybe soon depending on time. there is no pinging

CoolHand1134
05-18-2009, 10:20 PM
What is flooded spark plugs for $100.00?

plugs not flooded

importrcr13
05-18-2009, 10:28 PM
plugs not flooded

Had that issue the car wouldn't rev over 5k, pulled the pluggs they were SOAKED... always wondered why i didn't get better gas mileage... :wtf:

CoolHand1134
05-18-2009, 10:36 PM
whats a guy to do?? have to cut back on racing and speeding till i figure it out

CoolHand1134
05-26-2009, 04:33 PM
i just wanted to bump this up with an update

car chokes its self out if i try to rev it over 4000 rpm any ideas?

since my last post i have change timing belt, new set of plugs, timing was reset to factory. took it to the toyota dealership to see what they had to say and it was either a semi clogged cat that was holding to much back pressure or it was an air/fuel mixture problem caused by the short ram intake or the fuel pump was getting weak and couldnt pump enough fuel at high revs.

also it doesnt do it all the time just sometimes without warning or days its like nothing is wrong at all!

i am open to any info everyone has!

importrcr13
05-26-2009, 05:13 PM
The fuel pump thing being weak and not allowing enough fuel seems logical but it should logg you down but you should still be able to go over 4k rpm so i dont think that is the issue... It sounds honestly like you have a vacum leak somewhere, or a leak in your intake hose, and you're taking in more air than the fuel that you're getting... do you still have your MAF connected?

Colossus20v
05-26-2009, 05:22 PM
Have you checked any CELs? When I had the problem it was a bad ignitor/coil. I changed those out and it was fine. But check for any CELs because the computer will tell you whats wrong.

EDIT: Often times it will unless its just pissed off at the world.

Simonhla
05-26-2009, 06:12 PM
This is interesting. I have a very similiar issue. Mine is an auto tranny and it has problems achieving high revs. Again though, only sometimes.

Sometimes I'll put my foot down and it'll go up to about 3K revs and then just can't break through. It'll be really sluggish like that all day. Then other days i get in it'll race to 5K no problem. It's very odd and quite frustrating.

I have run fuel system cleaner through it and am changing the plugs this weekend. The engine was freshly rebuilt only 5K miles ago. I am tempted to pull the cat and gut it to see if it was a back pressure issue or just putting new header on. Due to not wanting to spend much I was looking at the surewin header. Any thoughts on these? is there a place for the O2 sensor.

Right now I am not getting a CEL.

CoolHand1134
05-26-2009, 07:51 PM
The fuel pump thing being weak and not allowing enough fuel seems logical but it should logg you down but you should still be able to go over 4k rpm so i dont think that is the issue... It sounds honestly like you have a vacum leak somewhere, or a leak in your intake hose, and you're taking in more air than the fuel that you're getting... do you still have your MAF connected?

everything is conected and there are no vacum leaks any place i have checked and the dealership looked all over too. the motor is a 92 5sfe it has the MAP sencer

CoolHand1134
05-26-2009, 07:54 PM
Have you checked any CELs? When I had the problem it was a bad ignitor/coil. I changed those out and it was fine. But check for any CELs because the computer will tell you whats wrong.

EDIT: Often times it will unless its just pissed off at the world.

my computer says everything is running fine!

importrcr13
05-26-2009, 07:58 PM
Just curious... if you're at a stop, sitting at idle... can you rev the engine past 4k?

CoolHand1134
05-26-2009, 08:09 PM
Just curious... if you're at a stop, sitting at idle... can you rev the engine past 4k?

it will go over 4k if i push the clutch in and give it some gas

importrcr13
05-26-2009, 08:11 PM
Then its probably something to do with your transmission... If the engine itself can reach over 4k, then theres something restricting your transmission from pulling you there... Whens the last time you changed your tranny fluids? Also how old / miles are on your clutch?

CoolHand1134
05-26-2009, 08:49 PM
Then its probably something to do with your transmission... If the engine itself can reach over 4k, then theres something restricting your transmission from pulling you there... Whens the last time you changed your tranny fluids? Also how old / miles are on your clutch?

clutch has less then 5000 on it, not sure when the tranny fluid was done last. the tranny shifts fine

Simonhla
05-26-2009, 09:10 PM
Mine which has the same intermittent problem at 3k revs will rev to whatever limit I want when in neutral or park. but is hit or miss when in drive. I was wondering if this was something to do with the auto tranny. I just changed the fluid about 2K miles ago.

Could it have anything to do with the ECU being a little fried? Or the sensor on the auto trans?

CoolHand1134
05-26-2009, 09:13 PM
Mine which has the same intermittent problem at 3k revs will rev to whatever limit I want when in neutral or park. but is hit or miss when in drive. I was wondering if this was something to do with the auto tranny. I just changed the fluid about 2K miles ago.

Could it have anything to do with the ECU being a little fried? Or the sensor on the auto trans?

mine is hit or miss too it worked fine all weekend and just acted up today again!

Simonhla
05-26-2009, 09:24 PM
mine is hit or miss too it worked fine all weekend and just acted up today again!

It's the wierdest thing. Yours is a manual trans and mine an auto so that just makes it even more confusing. I can normally tell how she is going to be within the first 1 or 2 mins of driving her. It's depressing those days when she just feels like a hung over pig.

Weird thing is that there is no fixed pattern to it. I tried to keep track of whether it happens on hot or cold days, dry or wet, with ECT on or off but there was no pattern.

The only clue it was the tranny for me came the other day when i was driving on the freeway and the tranny didn't auto upshift. Normally at 70mph I am at about 2700-2900 rpm but on this day it was at nearly 4k and if i accelrated it kept going up. I had to slow down a bit. I took an exit, dropped down to 20mph and got back on but this time it went through gears as normal.

I'd LOVE!!!! to figure out what is causing it.

Oh yeah, my steering groans on low speed turns which initially I thought was caused by a power steering leak but am thinking is the differential. Could it all be connected?

CoolHand1134
05-26-2009, 09:52 PM
It's the wierdest thing. Yours is a manual trans and mine an auto so that just makes it even more confusing. I can normally tell how she is going to be within the first 1 or 2 mins of driving her. It's depressing those days when she just feels like a hung over pig.

Weird thing is that there is no fixed pattern to it. I tried to keep track of whether it happens on hot or cold days, dry or wet, with ECT on or off but there was no pattern.

The only clue it was the tranny for me came the other day when i was driving on the freeway and the tranny didn't auto upshift. Normally at 70mph I am at about 2700-2900 rpm but on this day it was at nearly 4k and if i accelrated it kept going up. I had to slow down a bit. I took an exit, dropped down to 20mph and got back on but this time it went through gears as normal.

I'd LOVE!!!! to figure out what is causing it.

Oh yeah, my steering groans on low speed turns which initially I thought was caused by a power steering leak but am thinking is the differential. Could it all be connected?

i cant tell when mine will do it and there is no pattren to it at all either, just happens. i am having no problems with steering

Slider
05-26-2009, 10:49 PM
You can test your coil with a multimeter.

andy
05-26-2009, 11:32 PM
Coil or ignitor is my bet, go junkin and replace both

Simonhla
05-27-2009, 03:55 AM
thanks guys. I am going to check my coil tomorrow and will post a response. If it's the coil i'll just get a new one. 1st toyota have them for $70. saves the hassle of going to a junk yard. If it's the ignitor, junkyard here I come.

How do i test the ignitor though if i need to?

Slider
05-27-2009, 09:20 AM
I don't believe there is a way to check the ignitor. I didn't see anything in the manual about it. Try this for the coil http://www.celicatech.com/93rmsour/1993/93celica/ig/ig.htm Basically check everything in the ignition and if everything else checks out then it's probably the ignitor. If you do grab one from a junkyard let me know which one had some Celis, I need to grab a couple things.

CoolHand1134
05-27-2009, 01:13 PM
i will be checking mine this afternoon, i am also replacing my header and getting rid of the cat to see if that fixes the problem

Simonhla
05-27-2009, 06:17 PM
Ok so I tested the coil. Now I need someone to interpret the results.

Firstly, I took the Dizzy cap off and then realized I didn't really know how to use a multimeter. Pretty sad but there you are. Just never had any need for it. And to clarify, I know HOW to use it, just not what the right resistance setting is.

In the end I tested the primary coil with the meter on 200 ohms. The results weren't totally stable but floated about between 1.9 and 2.4.........So ummm, what does that mean as it's not in line with the service manual but then again i may have had it on the wrong setting.

I tested the secondary coil too but got no reading at all. On any setting. Although it is highly likely I did this wrong.

On the plus side I put it all back together and the car still starts fine so I'm not a total dunce.

Slider
05-28-2009, 12:18 AM
Did you do it on a cold engine? The resistance seems quite high for the primary coil. The primary coil should be measured on the 200 setting and the secondary on the 20k setting IIRC. If the the number "1" pops up that means you're out of range and need to go higher.

I put it in 200, if I get a reading then that's it, if I get a 1, I move up the dial to 20k, until I get a reading that's not 1.

Simonhla
05-28-2009, 01:35 AM
Ahh, thanks. Sounds like I need to do it again.

Bummer.

Slider
05-28-2009, 02:33 AM
Your primary reading is still too high which would indicate that there's something wrong with the coil.

Simonhla
05-28-2009, 05:33 PM
Considering the coil is as old as the hills, I think I'm just going to pop a new one in anyway. It's only $70. Thanks for all your help.

CoolHand1134
05-28-2009, 06:41 PM
i did my header swap and checked the coil also changed the fuel filter, noticed a change in how the car was running (for the better) has more get-up and go, a bit louder when it step on it. might have solved my problem i will keep updates!

ohh the header i swapped in is about half the weight of the stock one i couldnt beleave the weight differance!

Simonhla
05-28-2009, 07:58 PM
What header did you put in?

CoolHand1134
05-28-2009, 08:36 PM
What header did you put in?

i think its the 4 to 1 race header on ebay for the 5sfe, it came on my 90 gt when i bought the car its now my parts car! i wish it was still nice and shiney!!
http://cgi.ebay.ca/TOYOTA-CELICA-GT-GTS-2-2L-5SFE-90-91-93-4-1-RACE-HEADER_W0QQitemZ270397885893QQcmdZViewItemQQptZMot ors_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories?hash=item3ef4f84dc 5&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14&_trkparms=72%3A1215%7C66%3A2%7C65%3A12%7C39%3A1%7C 240%3A1318%7C301%3A0%7C293%3A1%7C294%3A50#ebayphot ohosting

but look what time and heat does!!! :wtf: still works like new just doesnt look so great

Simonhla
05-29-2009, 12:04 AM
Cool thanks.
I've taken the plunge too. Ordered a $100 header off ebay. See how well it works. I don't have any plans to keep the car for more than 2 years more (after 17 years I am due a change) so the longevity of the item is not a huge concern. I'll always have the stock one if there is a problem.
Add to that the new denso iridium plugs and ignition coil going on and she's getting a nice little tune up.