PDA

View Full Version : Targa project?

Shadowlife25
05-13-2009, 11:14 AM
So I was doing some thinking today, and I remembered the photos of the guy that did a targa top on his celica.

Then I thought about how unfeasible that would be on a standard celica.

Now that I own a convertible, I'm thinking "maybe it isn't so far off"...
The convertible has extra bracing to add structural rigidity to account for the lack of a roof. :lightbulb:

So my question/idea is this: How difficult would it be to weld the roof section from a coupe on and make a targa conversion?
I would like to keep the rear power windows, but it isn't a necessity.
For the targa section, I could use the hardware from a MKIII Supra that had a targa top.

One thing I would like to get my hands on would be the specs of what ASC actually did to these cars for their conversion.

These are just random musings I had today and not at all a solid plan by any means.

Your thoughts?

-Mario

Galcobar
05-13-2009, 01:00 PM
Considering a convertible is actually a coupe with the roof cut off...

Should be fairly doable, as the roof isn't actually providing any needed structural support and therefore would not need to be fastened as robustly.

tuner4life
05-13-2009, 01:22 PM
Mario why?

ciento44
05-13-2009, 03:38 PM
What would be REALLY clutch would be if the targa top to the supra was the right size.... :D

Shadowlife25
05-13-2009, 09:13 PM
Mario why?

Just an idea. I think the celica would look damn good with a targa top. Not to mention that i would no longer have the bs issues associated with a vert top. (window plastic, top alignment, top joint connector bushings...)

What would be REALLY clutch would be if the targa top to the supra was the right size.... ../imagearchive/chris/smileys/biggrin.gif
I would just use the hardware. The supra top has a completely different roof line.

Carolina91GT-S
05-13-2009, 09:15 PM
I like the idea. but only so long as you are starting with the vert. There should be no problem hacking the top off of a coupe in the junkyard. To me the toughest thing would be alignment...getting it all placed correctly before you start welding.

Shadowlife25
05-13-2009, 09:30 PM
I like the idea. but only so long as you are starting with the vert. There should be no problem hacking the top off of a coupe in the junkyard. To me the toughest thing would be alignment...getting it all placed correctly before you start welding.

Well, I haven't welded since highschool ,so that rules me out of doing it personally. :)

I do however have some friends that are highly skilled professional welders, so I would let a pro handle that part.

I think outside of that, the hardest part will be making the targa section and having it work properly. It would be easiest to source out a top from another vehicle that has it pre-existing. This would also allow me to find donor parts or replacements much easier.

grayscale
05-13-2009, 09:48 PM
It would be easiest to source out a top from another vehicle that has it pre-existing. This would also allow me to find donor parts or replacements much easier.
Probably not gonna happen if you want to keep the power rear windows.

A thought I had when picturing this is to cover the area where the soft top goes down into with sheet metal in a fashionable way, so as to have more deck area for the top to sit on and latch to.

Shadowlife25
05-13-2009, 09:56 PM
I think you're right. It would almost be a necessity due to the added weight. It would need more support in that back section.

Ryan
05-14-2009, 12:46 AM
That would be a tough design.

One way to alleviate the welding and what not would be to take the roof from a coupe, and design a removable hard top that has a targa top..... Its just an idea. :)