PDA

View Full Version : Where the he** is my fuel filter?

maxwedge
05-12-2009, 11:22 PM
1989 All Trac? It doesn't seem to be in any of the obvious places. Thought I would change it since I never have, and sure, maybe I had a few beers in the garage last night before I went looking for it, but I uhh... can't really seem to find it anyplace? There is a fuel filter on this thing right? Please tell me it's not buried back in that mess under the intake manifold or something?

burnyd
05-12-2009, 11:25 PM
Follow the line from the fuel rail....

METDeath
05-13-2009, 12:07 AM
On 5th gens it's on the bottom of the engine bay near the driver's wheel... and apparently a pain to get to... speaking of... I need to change mine, for giggles mostly.

CriScO
05-13-2009, 04:44 AM
Please tell me it's not buried back in that mess under the intake manifold or something?
You got it.

Shadowlife25
05-13-2009, 04:54 AM
Remove your battery. (not necessary, but easier)
Pull your Air box and associated piping off the throttle body.
Remove your Charcoal Canister.
Look down directly from the strut tower and slightly back toward the firewall.
You should see the banjo fitting going to the top of your fuel filter.

BEFORE you try to remove it: Get a wrench on the bottom fitting as well as the top one. This will prevent you from damaging/rounding the bolts ;)

-Mario

maxwedge
05-13-2009, 05:04 AM
Suddenly I'm not sure it needs replacing anymore. Fuel still seems to be flowing through it. :D

celica91gts
05-13-2009, 05:11 AM
lol. its a pain. i did mine last weekend. i took off my driver side wheel and got to the bottom from the wheel well. the top one was pretty easy.

extremeskillz
05-13-2009, 02:18 PM
So while your at it is a perfect opportunity to relocate the the filter to somewhere else lol!

Lonestag
05-13-2009, 03:23 PM
Fair warning; Many of our members (self included) have turned the fuel filter change into a messy painfull abortion. That filter could well be nearly impossible to get off without damaging somthing so make sure you have all the right tools.