PDA

View Full Version : Viscous LSD or not?

RedRkt01
05-12-2009, 02:19 PM
So I have an E56 tranny out of an ST202. I know it has an LSD becuase I can see the pin through the axel shafts. How would I know if it a viscous type or not? I assume there is no way to tell. What do you guys think?

Žusty
05-13-2009, 06:55 AM
I think they only had viscous type or no at all, so if you think it has a LSD. do you have the rest of the model code? or the year?

KoreanJoey
05-13-2009, 07:36 AM
Um... the pin doesn't really mean anything... Short of taking the diff out I'd say it'd be hard to tell.

presure2
05-13-2009, 11:01 AM
Um... the pin doesn't really mean anything... Short of taking the diff out I'd say it'd be hard to tell.
X2
S54's have the bar as well.
no lsd.

RedRkt01
05-13-2009, 02:17 PM
Really? I always was told that the poor man's solution to the question was the ol' pin in the hole. I guess not. I thought that the pin engaged the axel to prevent slipping somehow. (I don't know much about diff or how they work, I'm a noob at that).

Luni
05-13-2009, 07:56 PM
The only time the ol pin in the hole applies is on an E153.

RedRkt01
05-13-2009, 08:41 PM
The only time the ol pin in the hole applies is on an E153.

Why does that only apply to the E153? Please explain.

Luni
05-13-2009, 09:50 PM
I dont know WHY toyota did it.

I just know that Every S53/S54 and some others all have the bar. But NONE of them have LSD stock.

Now, for this specific tranny youre referring to, I dont know for sure.

I just know that the only DOCUMENTED, fully INVESTIGATED instance where teh bar says you have LSD, is when youre dealing with an E153.

And thats only FACTORY LSD. Cause none of the aftermarket LSD units have the bar either.

So, the only one, you can know with a certainty its LSD by presence of the bar, to my knowledge is the E153.

RedRkt01
05-13-2009, 10:03 PM
Well, Rob......I guess I'll have to open mine up and see for myself. With any luck I can make that the second documented instance of bar pin in hole = LSD.

Oh.....and BTW.....I think (read: THINK) you might be wrong about the S54 being non LSD in regards to overseas vehicles. There are hoards of dudes in Europe and Australia that think they have an LSD in their ST202s.

H8PVMNT
05-14-2009, 04:57 AM
I work on 4x4s and we install full spools and locking differentials all the time. I am very familiar with the mechanicals and characteristics of LSDs and standard open diffs.

The bar you see through your axle holes is called the pinion shaft. The "pinion gears" of the differential (not to be confused with the actual pinion gear of the ring and pinion) ride on the ends of this shaft, and mesh with the "side gears" of the differential. All standard open differentials have this shaft, a few beefy 4 pinion diffs have two shafts which are spaced apart so you wouldn't see them through the hole, like some Toyota truck differentials. The presense of this shaft does not necessarily mean you have a LSD as all open diffs have them, but most clutch type LSDs also have them, so I won't say that the car doesn't have an LSD. LSDs can be two or 4 pinion as well.

One way to check is to jack up the car and turn one wheel with your hands... if the other wheel goes the opposite direction, you have a standard open differential, if it goes the same way, you probably have an LSD. Check out Randy's Ring and Pinion web site, they have alot of information on differentials to help you better understand the way they work.

Not trying to be a know it all, but in the modified 4x4 and rock crawling world, traction is king, so I understand differentials completely. That being said I have no idea what diff is in what Celica...

Good luck! :bigthumbu

KoreanJoey
05-14-2009, 05:26 AM
Yeah my JDM S54 had LSD.

My current one does not... YET.

PS: The purpose of the bar (as far as I know) is to determine differential pre-load.

KoreanJoey
05-14-2009, 05:28 AM
One way to check is to jack up the car and turn one wheel with your hands... if the other wheel goes the opposite direction, you have a standard open differential, if it goes the same way, you probably have an LSD.

That doesn't work for viscous or torsen differentials unfortunately.

Žusty
05-14-2009, 06:37 AM
I just know that Every S53/S54 and some others all have the bar. But NONE of them have LSD stock.

not true late S54 which came in the JDM SS-III BEAMS ST202 celicas had a S54 & LSD standard

RedRkt01
05-14-2009, 02:17 PM
I work on 4x4s and we install full spools and locking differentials all the time. I am very familiar with the mechanicals and characteristics of LSDs and standard open diffs.

The bar you see through your axle holes is called the pinion shaft. The "pinion gears" of the differential (not to be confused with the actual pinion gear of the ring and pinion) ride on the ends of this shaft, and mesh with the "side gears" of the differential. All standard open differentials have this shaft, a few beefy 4 pinion diffs have two shafts which are spaced apart so you wouldn't see them through the hole, like some Toyota truck differentials. The presense of this shaft does not necessarily mean you have a LSD as all open diffs have them, but most clutch type LSDs also have them, so I won't say that the car doesn't have an LSD. LSDs can be two or 4 pinion as well.

One way to check is to jack up the car and turn one wheel with your hands... if the other wheel goes the opposite direction, you have a standard open differential, if it goes the same way, you probably have an LSD. Check out Randy's Ring and Pinion web site, they have alot of information on differentials to help you better understand the way they work.

Not trying to be a know it all, but in the modified 4x4 and rock crawling world, traction is king, so I understand differentials completely. That being said I have no idea what diff is in what Celica...

Good luck! :bigthumbu

Thanks for all the info dude. I really appreciate the mini lesson. I'll check out that website. :bigthumbu

H8PVMNT
05-14-2009, 03:22 PM
That doesn't work for viscous or torsen differentials unfortunately.

Bumber... That is a good tell on most truck applications. Must be different LSDs. I know the torsen style is supposed to be vastly superior since it doesn't have anything to wear out. Which style did Toyota use in Celicas that do have one?

We avoid limited slips like the plague and use true locking diffs 9 times out of ten in our trucks or jeeps and buggies because limited slips just don't provide enough traction when you are all crossed up in the rocks. A true locker would suck on a car though. You wouldn't really be able to steer, except with the trottle!

RedRkt01
05-14-2009, 03:55 PM
I think that is why Toyota dumped that option on the GT4 before releasing it to the US in it's Alltrac form.

Žusty
05-22-2009, 03:32 AM
got some info on your tranny...

C52 A140E S54 E56 E154
Reverse-3,250 -2,296 -3,153 -3,583 -3,545
1st 3,1662,8103,2853,5383,380
2nd 1,9041,5491,9602,0451,910
3rd 1,3101,0001,3221,3331,260
4th 0,9690,7061,0281,0280,920
5th 0,815-0,8200,8200,730
Final Drive 4,058-3,9443,9444,290