PDA

View Full Version : Steam from overflow tank

bobblyhead
05-11-2009, 05:54 AM
So I just got back from a 300+mile all highway journey. At the end of it, steam was shooting out of my overflow tank. I had just replaced my radiator and thermostat, but the mechanic kept the same cap. I am not sure as to what is happening. Headgasket tests have been done and it all checks out. My guess is a faulty thermostat? I also lost about a pint of coolant. My thermometer was ok all the way home. Any other suggestions?

On another note, I averaged 60 mpg on my first 115miles of the trip. It seem odd to me, as I only used 1.8gallons.??? Could the flat and rolly hills have gave me a double miles from each gallon? Either way, I am happy about this, just not the steam issue.

Freshnicity
05-11-2009, 05:57 AM
could be the cap isnt holding pressure?

Try replacing the cap and see if that helps.

You can check the t-stat also.

Did the car overheat at all?

celica91gts
05-11-2009, 06:20 AM
DID YOU BUY A TOYOTA THERMOSTAT!?
dont skimp on that. its 25$ including the gasket.
a fail safe one from autozone is 15 bucks and it's not actually fail safe.
pay the extra 10 bucks and rest easy.

joe's gt
05-11-2009, 07:41 AM
Its probly the cap. Was for Ryan's overflow issue and was for mine as well. If that doesn't fix it, switch to Toyota thermostat if you didn't get one already as previously suggested.

85gtsblackman
05-11-2009, 07:53 AM
well ive never used a factory t stat cept when i worked there years ago

ive always used a fail safe, which when it fails it locks open, or if i cheap out and get the 6 dollar thermostat, i just drill a small hole though it to act as a fail safe. i replace em about once a year anyways as well as the coolant.

never had a problem

but i think your cap may be faulty if your car wasnt over heating

celica91gts
05-11-2009, 09:01 AM
i guess i was unlucky that my fail safe one failed shut. it's amazing though. if i ever pull my toyota one back out i will take pics to compare the toyota one and the failsafe one from autozone. toyota's is noticeably bigger for some reason.

bobblyhead
05-12-2009, 04:21 AM
Thanks for all your help! I got a chance to really take a look at everything, and long and behold, the springing part for the radiator cap is broken. I bought this one from NAPA, I will be buying one from the dealer tomorrow. I really appriciate all your help! I am just glad that it did not overheat! :)

Freshnicity
05-12-2009, 04:55 AM
Thanks for all your help! I got a chance to really take a look at everything, and long and behold, the springing part for the radiator cap is broken. I bought this one from NAPA, I will be buying one from the dealer tomorrow. I really appriciate all your help! I am just glad that it did not overheat! :)

Was it a STANT cap?

Ive gone through 5 of those in my ST, where the spring melts off, into my rad, and all is left is a spring in stuck in my new rad and melted plastic.

OEM ftw my dude. Get a toyota t stat also if you dont got one.

bobblyhead
05-12-2009, 06:12 AM
It was a STANT cap! I was super busy last time and couldn't get to the dealer in time. This time...a new T-Stat, Cap, and a nice flush :)