PDA

View Full Version : What's the best way to remove the gas tank?

tuner4life
05-05-2009, 02:01 PM
I have a fuel leak coming from somewhere above the tank on my 1992 gt. It drips down the hoses on the drivers side of the tank, and is coming from somewhere above the tank. I think it is a return line since I still have plenty of fuel pressure at the engine, and it only leaks when the car is on. I looked under the access panel for the fuel pump, and it was dry and I couldn't see anything suspicious.

I am going to run this tank of gas until it's empty and then attempt to pull the tank down and replace the hoses up there. It seems pretty straight forward as long as I can get the car high enough off the ground, but... I just need to know if there is anything weird I need to know, or is it as simple as it looks?

METDeath
05-05-2009, 02:20 PM
It's as simple as it looks. I had to drop the tank a bit to install my ST rear anti sway bar.

cbarett251
05-05-2009, 08:10 PM
This may not be the best way, but it is the most exciting way: Use a plasma cutter! J/K but really make sure you relieve the pressure before doing anything. Remove cap, wait a second or four and disconnect fuel line from filter. I haven't removed one from a celica yet, so please post any tips or info!

Galcobar
05-05-2009, 11:00 PM
The other note on the gas tank is of course the lines to the filler neck, which have to be disconnected at the cap door. Where I found the fun part when I installed my sway bar was the cap release switch, and trying to keep it aligned when re-installing the tank.

RickyNo
05-06-2009, 12:18 PM
I had to drop the tank a few years back on a 93 gts to change the tank cover, it is as easy as it looks.

Summarized steps
(disconnect battery first, you knew it I'm sure)

In the car
- Remove the back seat (where we sit)
- unplug the connector that goes through the cover you can see, now visible with the removed seats
- unscrew and remove the cover
- been a long time so, I don't remember if there is something else to unplug in that area, you'll see if you need to

Under the car
- disconnect the flexibles fuel hoses connecting to the tank's fuel lines (front-left of the tank)
- disconnect the refill hose (back of the tank)
- put something under the tank to hold it up
- unscrew the 2 tank holders strips
- take it down
- do whatever
- reverse order to install

I've removed/installed on a saturday afternoon and I'm not used to work on cars, you certainly can do it.

tuner4life
05-06-2009, 01:21 PM
Cool, thanks for the good info guys!