PDA

View Full Version : Those of you that moved your battery to the trunk.

tuner4life
05-01-2009, 03:14 PM
Did you use a kit?
if so which one?
What battery are you using?
you have a terminal block under the hood somewhere right?
pics?

I am thinking about doing this, but cant find any real solid info except to make sure the battery is solidly mounted, and to use 4 gauge wire or bigger.

Trance4c
05-01-2009, 03:18 PM
Be ware - if your low resistance wire to your starter is starting to go, this will amplify the issue as there is a small voltage drop by adding all the additional length from the rear to the front.

With that out of the way, yes.. I've done it. Works fine. I did get a kit, don't recall what, mainly because I wanted a battery tray to hold it firm and the correct wire. You can Home-Depot it, but the individual strands will be thick, where the correct wire should be the same thick guage but the individual strands are thin. Hope that makes sense.

I run a Red Top Optima.

ciento44
05-01-2009, 03:29 PM
There's a good write up on alltrac.net buddy. I thought there was one here, but i can't seem to find it.

tuner4life
05-01-2009, 03:54 PM
Thanks I'll have to look for the one on alltrac.net. I looked here, but couldn't seem to find a write up or anything.

VikingJZ
05-01-2009, 04:06 PM
I'm going to do it to the SC eventually along with my TRAC and EGR delete.

Might do a coolant bypass as well.

grayscale
05-01-2009, 04:06 PM
http://www.celicatech.com/forums/showthread.php?t=40471
XS Powersports S50LBS battery
0gauge welding cable

VikingJZ
05-01-2009, 04:24 PM
I have a new high output alt, so it makes it better to do this than an older one! woot!

H8PVMNT
05-01-2009, 07:53 PM
I did it in a 4x4 we use for rock crawling competitions... I used some good quality "huge" guage (don't remember exactly what size) jumper cables with small strand wire with the proper connectors and a marine battery box. Replacing all the other leads at that time was a must. You are going to have more resistance with 12 foot battery leads instead of 2 feet like stock, so make everything as fresh as possible. I shortened the ground side and bolted it right to the frame close to the battery box. I didnt use a ditribution block, I just hooked everything where it was supposed to go. If you are running lots of accesories hardwired from the battery you could get one of those universal blade style fuse blocks from painless wiring for like $8 and run another lead from your battery to the fuse block.

I like to use the optima blue top for starting/winching but any dry or gel cell would probably work well. Those light weight batteries would be tempting for a Celica though.

vip09
05-01-2009, 08:54 PM
I just ran a really long set of good quality jumper cables from the back to the front. They were a little tricky to get through the firewall but they made it finally. As long as you pull all the wiring behind your engine, nobody will know.

cms-gt4
05-01-2009, 08:59 PM
0 Gauge welding cable, optima yellow top.

METDeath
05-01-2009, 09:23 PM
Princess's battery relocation (http://www.celicatech.com/forums/showthread.php?t=28099)

grayscale
05-01-2009, 09:41 PM
Those light weight batteries would be tempting for a Celica though.
AGM technology ftw!