PDA

View Full Version : Painting Interior Trim Pieces

Fox 21 Alpha
05-01-2009, 06:50 AM
I'm sure there's a nice topic on this somewhere, feel free to post up a link if it really bothers you, but my mind is so fried right now I just wanna get this down so I have some input before I do it this weekend.

Anyways, got some interior center console pieces for my 3rd gen, and a sunshade cover for the gauges. My interior is brown, the pieces are in blue. I got the wonderful idea to spray paint them when it was like 50 degrees and dusk out. And I rushed. So doesn't look horrible, but seeing as I'm more likely to end up in bed with Megan Fox then to get my hands on another good set of center console pieces, I want to do these right.

There's a good coat on them, and I did take the time to properly tape it up. However its uneven, and got streaks in it. I believe I finally bought the right paint this time around, I got some krylon stuff thats made for plastic, I figure it should stick better then most. The old stuff however does seem to scrape off in some parts if you work it with a fingernail long enough, but I really can't see myself stripping off the old paint this way.

So is there a quicker/better way to get the old paint off? Maybe by sanding or a paint stripper? Or should I just sand it down so its even and paint over it? Should I use a primer this time around? I did clean the surfaces off best I could last time, but not sure if that was enough. It doesn't have to be flawless, but I do want to atleast look good. The last paint also seemed to pool in some areas and reflects differently on different parts, so I'm going to try and keep the surface I'm painting flat and upright, and apply more evenly to prevent streaks.

Is there any good websites out there that have good spray painting basics that I should look over before I reattempt this?

Thanks for all your help. I'm trying to do research myself as much as I can but I seem to aptly suck when it comes to finding info on this stuff, and doing it for that matter.....

celica91gts
05-01-2009, 07:15 AM
paint stripper will melt plastic interior panels. i suggest sanding them down. i also used krylon plastic bonding paint to paint my interior. it's alright... it got scratched after a month or so with 2 coats. so i sanded them down. coated them with primer and painted 2 coats of the krylon plastic bonding. hasen't chipped or scratched since.

joe's gt
05-02-2009, 03:32 AM
My interior paint job was an epic fail so take my advice with a grain of salt. lol.

But I would make sure to use some adhesion promoter for the plastic or some type of plastic primer.

I wouldn't just spray the paint on the plastic.

hemlocke
05-02-2009, 04:53 AM
http://www.eastwoodco.com/shopping/search/searchresultsmain.jsp?affiliate=1&fresh=1&searchType=advanced&RS=1&keyword=sem,vinyl,dye&cm_mmc=PMD_SE-_-Google-_-Interiors-_-sem_vinyl_dye

This is what resto guys like to use.

Fox 21 Alpha
05-02-2009, 01:14 PM
Looks like they have some decent primer stuff, but closest color I could find to match was the burgundy. Maybe use their primer and krylon's paint?

85gtsblackman
05-03-2009, 08:47 AM
just go to a black/grey interior

joe's gt
05-03-2009, 09:16 PM
^^ Troof!!! Black grey interior is so sexy. Sucks in summer with hot climates tho. But if you have good a/c that's no concern.

importrcr13
05-05-2009, 07:30 PM
I've painted trim before on my 2k3 celica, the method i used was;

1. Wash the pieces first with dish soap to get all the oils and dirt off of them.(whether they are already painted or not)
2. get 2000 grit sandpaper and WETSAND every little piece of material on it
3. basic auto primer will work as long as you've sanded properly, if you're unsure find a primer specific to plastic.
4. lay at LEAST 3 coats of your color over the primer letting each coat dry for a minimum of 30 min. or until barely tacky
5. let the paint settle somewhere where there is NO DUST or air movement, i used a cubbord inside my kitchen, (cleaned it out and set them in there)
6. the next day or 12-24 hours it should be touch dry, go get some clear coat and spray at least 2 coats of clear coat on it
7. follow step #5
8. Install and enjoy

Note: obviously if you're doing vinyl you dont want to use clear coat. If you're looking for a dull look anyway. If you think its not shiny enough after using clear coat, let the coat dry, then use 3000 grit sand paper, LIGHTLY sand just the top, then get your favorite buffing compound and rub over the top, let compound dry for 5-10 min, then with a 100% cotton cloth rub the compound off.

Hope that helped! Good luck!

Ryan
05-06-2009, 03:41 AM
After you sand them, make sure you use rubbing alcohol to clean them, and let it get completely dry before you spray anything on it.

92st184
05-10-2009, 05:41 AM
if you go to automotivetouchup.com, you can purchase a can of car paint to exacly match yours. thats what i did on my scion. paint matches perfectly. i would also recommend to use a clear coat after paint to give it that professional look.