PDA

View Full Version : QC Bans RHD Import Registrations

SchweizerCeli
04-30-2009, 03:19 PM
Brothers and Sisters of the RHD Community,

As the title to this post states, the province of Quebec had put an all out ban on new Right Hand Drive vehicle registrations. This ban is in effect as of yesterday and official notice was received yesterday.

For 180 days, no newly aquired RHD vehicles may be registered in the province for use on public highways.

Please join our fight on www.IVOAC.ca as we will need all the support we can get. This temporary ban is in jeopardy of becoming permanant and spreading to other provinces if we do not stand up.

We are currently rallying to get as many stakeholders on board as possible and will have plans in place shortly.

Our public thread at IVOAC is as follows:
http://forum.ivoac.ca/showthread.php?t=2519

Sean

Colossus20v
04-30-2009, 03:30 PM
That sucks, especially when ChrisD just got his new ST205. But I dont think he is in Quebec.

ChrisD
04-30-2009, 04:23 PM
No, I'm a loooong way aways from there. And my car is already registered, so I should technically be grandfathered no matter the law changes.

Quebec government is a shady organization. The trouble is that other provinces may copy QC's actions...crappy news :(

ChrisD
04-30-2009, 04:24 PM
Hey Sean - did they attach any actual data supporting their claim with this notice? Now getting used to RHD, getting hard to believe its any more dangerous than anything else.

SchweizerCeli
04-30-2009, 04:42 PM
We have no information from SAAQ that backs up the reason behind this ban ...

They have been flogging that unsubtantiated ICBC report over the past few months and I really think they are using it as backup.

SAAQ also has an internal report that says RHD vehciles were found to not be a safety concern.

I have asked my contact at SAAQ for answers but now that the sh!t hit the fan I'm sure I will not hear from him.

RickyNo
05-10-2009, 04:33 PM
I live in Quebec and I've seen a news report, in february or march, about current statistics in BC being a concern to the SAAQ, the reporter said that RHD vehicles have a higher collision rate than LHD in BC, they were to monitor what was going on in BC and when asked if "RHD cars could eventually be banned from Quebec roads" the SAAQ spokesperson responded "right now we tolerate the RHD cars, but it is not impossible that someday we ban those cars, if statistics prove they have a higher collision rate than LHD cars.".

I wonder why other provinces would follow the Quebec province, we have a totally different insurance system than other provinces. We have a public insurance (La Payette as we call it, because it was a law brought forward by Lise Payette in the 70's) and you cannot sue another driver when an accident occurs, the public insurance system takes care of paying for your corporal damages, and your car insurances are for you car's damages and damages to third-parties properties. So unfortunately, it's kind of "logic" for Quebec to want to ban those cars IF they have a higher accident rate causing corporal damages, as it would increase payements to the victims of those accidents. I'm not saying I agree with it though, this is yet another liberty Quebec takes away from us...

I have to get something from a tire shop this week, the guy also imports RHD cars ( http://www.spoolimport.com ) so I'll also ask him what he knows about all this.

All those restricting laws in my province a really getting me pissed off... The only thing keeping me here is the business, otherwise, I'd certainly try to be ChrisD's neighboor. ;)

RickyNo
05-10-2009, 04:35 PM
man, I'm repeating too many words in that post... :laugh:

Galcobar
05-10-2009, 11:44 PM
Keep in mind B.C., despite the efforts of our current Liberal (who are actually conservatives) provincial government, has a public insurance regime as well. Mandatory insurance required to operate the car must be purchased via the Crown corporation, while optional insurance (collision, comprehensive, extra liability) may be purchased from the Crown corporation or from private insurers.

ChrisD
05-11-2009, 03:59 PM
I live in Quebec and I've seen a news report, in february or march, about current statistics in BC being a concern to the SAAQ, the reporter said that RHD vehicles have a higher collision rate than LHD in BC, they were to monitor what was going on in BC and when asked if "RHD cars could eventually be banned from Quebec roads" the SAAQ spokesperson responded "right now we tolerate the RHD cars, but it is not impossible that someday we ban those cars, if statistics prove they have a higher collision rate than LHD cars.".

I wonder why other provinces would follow the Quebec province, we have a totally different insurance system than other provinces. We have a public insurance (La Payette as we call it, because it was a law brought forward by Lise Payette in the 70's) and you cannot sue another driver when an accident occurs, the public insurance system takes care of paying for your corporal damages, and your car insurances are for you car's damages and damages to third-parties properties. So unfortunately, it's kind of "logic" for Quebec to want to ban those cars IF they have a higher accident rate causing corporal damages, as it would increase payements to the victims of those accidents. I'm not saying I agree with it though, this is yet another liberty Quebec takes away from us...

I have to get something from a tire shop this week, the guy also imports RHD cars ( http://www.spoolimport.com ) so I'll also ask him what he knows about all this.

All those restricting laws in my province a really getting me pissed off... The only thing keeping me here is the business, otherwise, I'd certainly try to be ChrisD's neighboor. ;)

My take on this...it doesn't matter if they have a higher collision rate at all...there's lots of vehicles that have that. Sports cars vs. family cars. Motorcycles vs. passenger cars. etc etc etc. The solution is not to ban, but simply, apply a higher premium to those vehicles that have a greater propensity to collisions.

With that said, I am not convinced that the data holds any water.

SchweizerCeli
05-11-2009, 06:12 PM
Add to that .... UK and Japan do not discriminate between RHD and LHD when underwriting vehicles for insurance. These two countries have by far the most "opposite" drive vehicles and have lived with this situation for many many years.

ICBC issues a report based on internally collected data and posts it on their website. They then issue it to insurance companies throughout Canada and have it pumped up by the media.

BUT.

To this day (and the report was compiled in 2007) insurance rates for RHD vehciles have not increased in BC. Smells to me like ICBC does not even trust their own words but hope others do so they can mearly follow the leader.