PDA

View Full Version : VHT nightshades

Grot
04-29-2009, 05:51 PM
first can someone tell me where to get some? also what kind of clear coat do you use? lastly, how well does it work on headlights? does a good amount of light pass through it or am i better off not doing them?

Murgatroy
04-29-2009, 05:55 PM
I have a half a can left.

I wouldn't do the headlights, get some covers for the headlights.

You can pick it up from Summit or have Blindside order it. I got my cans from the Speed Shop out in Solway a couple years back for like $5 a can, they had to order it.

donteatbugs
04-29-2009, 11:10 PM
oreilys can order it cheap, they carry vht products now....btw, my tails are done in this

tuner4life
04-29-2009, 11:40 PM
Just spray on the niteshades, let it dry, then clearcoat. Wet-sand and buff if necessary.

Ryan
04-30-2009, 02:11 AM
I put niteshades on my side marker lights on my 6th gen. During the day you cant see through it, but at night, if you turn the lights on, you can see them pretty well.

I didnt use any clear coat, because you dont have to, and it turned out pretty good.

I wouldnt recommend it for the headlights, but for tails, it looks good.

Grot
04-30-2009, 02:15 AM
how many coats are on your side markers?

it would go on my red truck so i think i would put 3 coats on my tails and 2 on my turns up front and one on my headlights.

Ryan
04-30-2009, 03:10 AM
I think I put like 3 light coats on. In my pics, I still have my old side markers that I just blacked out. I will take some pics of my new ones tomorrow for you.

Basically, what you are going to want to do, is just put light coats on, and after each coat, hold it up to a light source to see how it will look, and get it to where you want it.

Make sure you allow plenty of drying time as well.

Grot
04-30-2009, 03:14 AM
thanks. i think i may find some junk headlights to try it on before i do my good ones.

Ryan
04-30-2009, 04:03 AM
Thats what i would do. Make sure you clean the whole surface with rubbing alcohol as well.

Naemion
04-30-2009, 05:38 AM
I just got some from a store called meijer the other day for about $7.50. I tried it on my front turn and parking light covers and only did about two coats but it looks pretty good and you don't need to clear coat because mine turned out floss enough for me, unless you want to just put it on there to protect it. I like the look because I have a black car and now most of my lights will be blacked out also. Just be careful and check your state laws as to how bright your lights have to be. I'm not going to be doing my headlights, but my tail lights I am going to and you have to be able to see them from 500' away. The thing is I have a light in my wing so that covers that and I can put it on as dark as I want to :-p

Ryan
04-30-2009, 05:41 AM
Dude, dont worry about the "light laws" around here. There are so many people that have their light blacked out and dont get crap for it. When vikingjz had his 5th gen, he smoked his tail lights pretty dark and never got pulled over for it.

VikingJZ
04-30-2009, 06:03 AM
I just got some from a store called meijer the other day for about $7.50. I tried it on my front turn and parking light covers and only did about two coats but it looks pretty good and you don't need to clear coat because mine turned out floss enough for me, unless you want to just put it on there to protect it. I like the look because I have a black car and now most of my lights will be blacked out also. Just be careful and check your state laws as to how bright your lights have to be. I'm not going to be doing my headlights, but my tail lights I am going to and you have to be able to see them from 500' away. The thing is I have a light in my wing so that covers that and I can put it on as dark as I want to :-p

I just saw it at Meijer last week as well. The one on 331 right off the ByPass. CarQuest here in town can order it in for you as well.

VikingJZ
04-30-2009, 06:04 AM
Dude, dont worry about the "light laws" around here. There are so many people that have their light blacked out and dont get crap for it. When vikingjz had his 5th gen, he smoked his tail lights pretty dark and never got pulled over for it.

I was stopped more in that car than any car I have owned and it had every light smoked except the headlights.

I never once was even warned. The cops never brought it up.

Its Indiana. They don't care.

tuner4life
04-30-2009, 01:39 PM

Dude, You are from South Bend!! I didn't know there was anyone else from around here. Cool!

Nice to know that they have it at Meijers. Good find.

grayscale
04-30-2009, 05:24 PM
Be sure to check the local laws Grot. In most states it is illegal to have your headlights tinted at all in any way shape or form, covers or not, but there are a few that allow it.

Grot
04-30-2009, 07:11 PM
i know ive seen a few preludes completely blacked out. but i will check.

Naemion
05-01-2009, 05:06 AM
Yep, I'm a hoosier as well. Well I got my tail lights painted as well as the center piece with the "Celica" still in silver, the front turn signals and parking lights. I will have pics up soon. They look pretty bad ass with my car being black. Oh and I looked it up, and you have to be able to see at least one brake light 500' feet away and I have the one in the spoiler that I have so that covers that, I can make them as dark as I want.