PDA

View Full Version : engine upgrade

cogs1982
04-28-2009, 03:34 AM
hello fello inthusiests! im building a project st185 and have a list of mods i wanna carry out any help on where im going wrong or parts that would be better suit my build would be appreciated?: first im going to use the stock crank but was thinking ogf eagle h beam rods,connected to wiseco pistons. I've heard that eventhou eagle are an american co, the parts are produced in china and are quite difficult to balence them. second im thinking about going for the hks 272 cams with 0.5mm oversise supertec valves,not sure if the grind quality is good on the cams and was wondering wether just modifing the standard cam will do. last year modified the ct26 to garrett gt30 and put front mount intercooler,but problems with the tune(greddy piggypag) saw the car lean out causing loss of compresion and car didnt have enough steam to spin turbo hence going all out on a full engine build!!!1 any suggestions

v8killer
04-28-2009, 03:42 AM
whats your power goal? remember the gt30 is far far better than the ct26 or ct20b(actually called the ct26c2 but oh well, can't correct everyone) you need to retune everytime you upgrade and start off slowly. the stock rods and crank have been known to get 550+hp with wiseco pistons. you might not need the oversized valves as there are lots of high power cars with stock diameter valves.

cogs1982
04-28-2009, 04:31 AM
not sure but if the eagle rods would be ligher than stock would that decreace the tention of the engine. say if i only wanna get abot450 from the engine,this could be over kill but would it increase reliability?

joe's gt
04-28-2009, 05:31 AM
I've heard 272 cause too much lag, and aren't very streetable. But with oversized valves and modified head, Idk how much that would increase spool. If this is a dedicated track car than its a mute point. For a street car, I wouldn't go much higher than 264s in attempts to keep the low end.

If your building for 450, I wouldn't go anything less than full standalone. Just don't have enough control with a piggyback.

No practical experience unfortunately with such mods, just from personal research.

mr2trd3
04-28-2009, 03:23 PM
If you are looking at 450HP at the crank, I wouldn't even mess with the internals of the engine at this point. I'd rather spend that extra money on a very nice EMS. The unopened 3SGTE has been proven to do just fine at 400+WHP.

More importantly, we need to know your budget. You need to be realistic with your budget and goals. I hope you know that once you go over 275WHP, the cost per WHP goes up exponentially. For a 400WHP build, you are looking at no less than $7-8,000USD if you are going to do it right. A solid EMS plus tune and a quality turbo kit will come in at around $5,000 USD on the cheap side. Factor in the fuel system, IC system, etc and you will soon realize that picking an arbitrary number as a power goal is simply naive.

However, IF you do have a pretty unlimited budget (good for you!), I'd suggest hitting up Tristan at WTFauto. He is a well-respected MR2 build/tuner in AU.

joe's gt
04-29-2009, 01:14 AM
oh, if you could fill out your profile cause we don't know whether your car is a swap or an alltrac. The reason I ask is because (as mentioned in a recent thread) fwd and 450 hp don't mix.

Trance4c
04-29-2009, 01:38 AM
I think MR2TRD3's numbers are a bit high, but obviously this is what you need to address. The tune you need for the turbo you have and cams is whats holding you back.

I would suggest finding out what is available near you, as you will need support if this is your first time. The wiring can be a real task, unless you are just paying someone to set it all up for you then its just a price tag. Then you'll need to have someone with a dyno available and knows the software of what EMS you go with. Unless you plan to do the tuning yourself, you'll have someone tune it for you. Finding that tuner available to you will point you in the direct you want to go with EMS.

Good luck.

mr2trd3
04-29-2009, 01:58 PM
EDIT: because I say things in a manner and tone that is not productive and demeaning to others because I have an attitude issue.

Trance4c
04-29-2009, 02:32 PM
Back on topic for the original poster...

mr2trd3
04-29-2009, 02:55 PM
In Bill's defense, he is very knowledgeable and is a skilled fabricator, unlike most CT kids. He is reworking the eBay parts, something most eBay shoppers will not and cannot do. Besides, his eBay game is clearly for fun. He is NOT expecting USA made quality, etc.

Hmm...where is the ignore button...

Trance4c
04-29-2009, 03:01 PM
In Bill's defense, he is very knowledgeable and is a skilled fabricator, unlike most CT kids. He is reworking the eBay parts, something most eBay shoppers will not and cannot do. Besides, his eBay game is clearly for fun. He is NOT expecting USA made quality, etc.

Hmm...where is the ignore button...

Amazing!

mar_phi6
04-29-2009, 03:18 PM
what a good thread to start off with mannnnnnnnnnn

Trance4c
04-29-2009, 04:01 PM
what a good thread to start off with mannnnnnnnnnn

Yes, lets keep it on topic and productive for the original poster, he has some valid questions for a good setup.

ciento44
04-29-2009, 04:10 PM
Amazing!

Oh! I found the button! :D