PDA

View Full Version : Power steering needs gone

ciento44
04-24-2009, 04:09 PM
I'm not interested as to why i SHOULDN'T do this, so at the risk of sounding like an asshole, if you're going to say something like "Don't do it," then don't post plz. Kthx! :wiggle:

I want it gone.

So far, i've come across the standard two methods.

1) De-power the existing rack. You can do it the wrong way, where you cut the belt. WRONG, and that's where the stigma of removing it is bad comes from. OR, you can take everything off, and recirculate the rack.

2) Find a non-power rack that fits.

My questions:

Has anyone done this before? Which method did they choose? If they chose method one, is it possible to do without removing the rack? Do you know of a write up specifically for celicas? I've seen enough Honda write-ups that i want to vomit.

Method 2. What rack will work, and how badly did the "quickness" suffer when you chose this route.

To the naysayers who will post anyways, here's my reasons:

1) I want that clusterfuck OUT. It looks hideous, and gets in the way.
2) It leaks like a mofo out of all the lines. The rack looks fine. I'm unwilling to pay the money to repair, take the time to repair, and end up with a perfectly working system that i don't even like in the first place.
3) A car this light does not need power steering. It's just one more thing to go wrong.

Maruki-kun
04-24-2009, 04:28 PM
you'll want that power steering below 5mph.

when I was too lazy to swap my rack, what I considered doing was doing just as you said, take everything off, recirculate the rack, but make sure you aren't leaking from the boots, because trust me, filling a sealed rack is a BITCH. which brings me to my next point, you'll need some way to inject the fluid (dextro 3 or whatever) into the rack leaving as little air as possible.

it's not as easy as it sounds.

ciento44
04-24-2009, 04:38 PM
you'll want that power steering below 5mph.

when I was too lazy to swap my rack, what I considered doing was doing just as you said, take everything off, recirculate the rack, but make sure you aren't leaking from the boots, because trust me, filling a sealed rack is a BITCH. which brings me to my next point, you'll need some way to inject the fluid (dextro 3 or whatever) into the rack leaving as little air as possible.

it's not as easy as it sounds.

If i could find any information at all as to what non-power rack would work, i'd go that route. But i can't find anything.

I very rarely drive below 5mph, and with the ridiculously huge steering wheel that comes stock on these cars, i haven't had any problems wrestling the car into parking spots when my power steering fluid was GONE and i was fighting the pump.

VikingJZ
04-24-2009, 04:56 PM
I once read a non power rack from a late 80's R block truck works.

Didn't make sense to me either, but I remember reading it on here once.

KM
04-24-2009, 06:07 PM
I know grayscale's deleted his power steering (he's giving it to me), so I'm sure once he chimes in, you'll get schooled.

ciento44
04-24-2009, 06:28 PM
Oh well that's good news.... last i talked to him he hadn't done it. :D

KoreanJoey
04-25-2009, 05:00 AM
*sigh*

Murgatroy
04-25-2009, 05:04 AM
Cap the lines, fill the rack.

I did it on a Tracker I had years ago. Didn't feel like paying $300 for a remanned pump.

Honestly, after owning 5000lb land yachts with no power steering, I like my powersteering. But I will still call you a punk for using AC.

Grot
04-25-2009, 05:07 AM
i agree, PS is nice, but AC is a waste of power.

ive only owned one car with working AC.

Fox 21 Alpha
04-25-2009, 05:32 AM
hope you don't do a lot of parking. Granted I have rack and pinon, so its easier then ps gone wrong, usually ain't a problem, but can get annoying sometimes def.

vip09
04-25-2009, 09:16 AM
I didn't have power steering for a while in my Alltrac.. it SUCKED. Good luck man.

tekstep01
04-25-2009, 09:17 AM
ALRIGHT LOSERS!
i deleted the PS, when i got my jdm motor in, and havent missed it yet.
and with the extra space i used a MR2 alternator mount and hid the alternator back there! :ohyeah:
1. as you drive it you get stronger arms (REALLY!) and you notice it less..
2. moving over to the MR2 alt bracket, My charge tested stronger and i dont get belt wiggle over 2k, like i did with miss-sized belts after the A/C was deleted.
(My JDM Longblock was from a MR2, so i had it unusualy easy time doing it.. or else you need a mr2 harmonic balancer,belt, and possibly a new alt. if it does not fit the bracket.)
3. to eliminate the dead zone from years of steering abuse, you must buy a reman or new rack ( i havent and i dont care to i like my car the way it is! so what if i look like im drunk going in a straight line! lol :wtf:
4.You also get better feed-back from the wheel, you can better feel out where & when the power is being transfered to the wheels. Especially in a FWD. helps with the cornering.

now the cons...
i occasionally look like a retard as it takes two hands to turn going slow...example: mid-Illegal 3 point u-turn on a busy street in LA!
i also occasionally notice i shift slower and more methodically.
3. the wheel sometimes (or entirely) does not return to center when let go-of. ( like when sliding in the dirt or drifting... :zombie: )
4. for the first three months everyday you will ask yourself " when am i gonna hook it back up?"
5. if anyone drives your car and you dont tell them, they really might wreck it... :bigthumbu like your GF!

so there... lose it its just a gimick robbin horse power....
or go with an separate electric ps pump
goodluck!

VikingJZ
04-25-2009, 03:36 PM
In heavier cars like my SC300 I'd prefer it.

But I had it out in my fifth gen and liked it.

Slider
04-25-2009, 06:56 PM
Check this out
http://www.flyinmiata.com/tech/depower.php

grayscale
04-25-2009, 08:02 PM
Interesting. Though I don't agree with step 8 and 9. That's not a "seal". Once an oring is placed on that part then it's a seal, but the other function of that part is to keep the shaft centered in the rack cylinder. I would opt do drill several holes through that part to allow the fluid to flow while leaving the oring in place.

Hipster Lawrence
04-26-2009, 05:13 AM
I'm no expert but instead of just looping the lines why not loop them to some kind of reservoir then it wont be so hard to fill or bleed.

Slider
04-26-2009, 09:21 AM
Not having fluid in there will decrease the steering effort and give you a better feel. Of course it's quite a bit more work than looping the lines since you have to take a part the rack, take out the seal and grease it up.

Another link I had in the random bookmarks
http://forum.teamfc3s.org/showthread.php?t=54847

andy
04-26-2009, 05:16 PM
I dont have it in my ae86, i just swapped in a manual mk1 rack. Dunno if it will fit yours or not but I really like my rack. joo know!

hemlocke
04-26-2009, 08:48 PM
Slider (Adrian?), I am glad you posted those two links. I will be running out to the salvage yard next weekend, or the weekend after, and grabbing a serviceable, used rack to give that a shot. MY PS is starting to make a little noise and I have been dead-set against going back with PS if I had the chance to do manual. I came from 60s Mopars that didn't run power, so I have no doubt I can handle this little rig without it.

KoreanJoey
04-27-2009, 10:51 AM
This thread makes me sad...

theorhetoric
04-27-2009, 01:08 PM
go for it I 86ed mine almost 5 years ago..

ciento44
04-27-2009, 01:21 PM
Cap the lines, fill the rack.

I did it on a Tracker I had years ago. Didn't feel like paying $300 for a remanned pump.

Honestly, after owning 5000lb land yachts with no power steering, I like my powersteering. But I will still call you a punk for using AC.

Who said i had A/C? That's already completely removed.

ciento44
04-27-2009, 02:23 PM
Check this out
http://www.flyinmiata.com/tech/depower.php

Yeah, Keith at FM gave me that link a few days ago, i'd be interested in trying that once the car is off the road.

I think i'm going to try to loop it, seems like something i'd be able to do with the rack still installed.