PDA

View Full Version : Which Magnaflow are you guys using?

H8PVMNT
04-21-2009, 12:07 AM
I found a couple options for mufflers. I really want the dual out to keep the stockish GT-S exhaust look. One would be a plain jane stainless single in dual out chambered model plus tips which would cost a little under $200. The other which I think is ideal for my '91 GT-S is the Street Series PN14862 for $222. It is exaclty the same size as the crappy pacesetter I plan to replace with it and has the 3" dual out which looks like stock...

Which Magnaflow muffler are you guys using on your 5th Gens?

Also, I want to use some kind of resonater to keep it mellow... what resonater should I use for 2.25"? Would a glass pack acomplish the same effect?

Galcobar
04-21-2009, 06:47 AM
Glass packs are 1950s-era technology. They are not nearly as good a design as a modern straight-through muffler. Two primary problems, the insulation and the inner pipe. Fibreglass is not as durable as modern insulation, and will eventually (or quickly, depending on quality and luck) break down and blow out. Modern insulation typically involves some combination of stainless steel wool and ceramic fibres such as you'd find in a MagnaFlow muffler. The other issue is the inner pipe; old tech had louvered holes, where little scoops projected into the exhaust stream to direct the flow into the insulation. The problem here is that the louvers create a great deal of turbulence and by preventing the smooth flow of exhaust greatly impede the car's ability to get the burnt fuel and air out of the combustion chambers (in other words, they create backpressure and this is bad). Modern designs use a perforated but smooth inner pipe to keep the exhaust gas speed constant.

However, a resonator is NOT the same thing as a straight-through muffler, even if they are both round. A resonator such as comes stock is a hollow echo chamber, where sound waves bounce into each other and cancel themselves out, transforming the sound energy into a small amount of heat.

Resonators and mufflers are different pieces of equipment to accomplish different goals. To smooth the tone of your exhaust and ensure you do not have the annoying buzz of so many badly done exhausts, get a resonator. To lower the volume, get a straight-through muffler.

If you go for a straight-through muffler design over a baffled design, it'd be advisable to get another straight-through muffler into your system. The beauty of a straight-through design is that you can use more/longer pieces to lower the volume without significantly reducing exhaust flow efficiency; baffled mufflers are great for reducing volume but do so by seriously compromising smooth exhaust flow.

donteatbugs
04-21-2009, 12:00 PM
i have a mangnaflow 3 " inlet - twin 2.5" out, i have it on the back of a ssac 3" exhaust

tuner4life
04-21-2009, 01:13 PM
Good info!

I eventually want to do something similar to this.

Am I correct you are using the 2.25" on a 5sfe? I was always curious what diameter was best for a n/a 5S?

grayscale
04-21-2009, 03:36 PM
I've got the Magnaflow 14827.

H8PVMNT
04-21-2009, 04:44 PM
Good info!

I eventually want to do something similar to this.

Am I correct you are using the 2.25" on a 5sfe? I was always curious what diameter was best for a n/a 5S?

I have this theory that 2" would be ideal, but there are no decent mufflers available in 2" inlet and I don't see the point in steping up in size for just the tail section. The difference is pretty nominal I think too and I already have the 2.25" pipe from my scrapped pacesetter laying behind the house... I figure if your running numbers and you take into account bends, flanges, gakets and any backpreasure created by mufflers and resonators 2.25" is probably about the same as 2" with no obstructions in a perfect world scenario.

Besides, I was getting up to 32 mpg with the pacesetter 2.25" before it took a crap. Now I can only get 28-29 mpg tops with the stock exhaust back on. The milage is the only real reason I'm messing with it at all. I'm not sure if it's the tube size or just the really restrictive stock muffler but there is definitaley a difference.

I thought of trying a strait pipe tail section in the stock 1.75", which I could bend and weld at home but it would be to friggin' loud for what I use my car for. I'm also super into the dual outlet look. :)

Galcobar
04-21-2009, 10:50 PM
The thing with resonators is that many people and often retailers will mis-label a round muffler as a resonator, because they look somewhat alike from the outside.

Simple test: resonators are an echo chamber, and if you tap on them they ring like a bell. A straight-through muffler uses insulation to absorb noise, and will only produce a dull response if rapped.

H8PVMNT
04-21-2009, 11:01 PM
The thing with resonators is that many people and often retailers will mis-label a round muffler as a resonator, because they look somewhat alike from the outside.

Simple test: resonators are an echo chamber, and if you tap on them they ring like a bell. A straight-through muffler uses insulation to absorb noise, and will only produce a dull response if rapped.

What resonator would you get if you were me?

Or do you think I should put a strait through muffler somewhere in the middle for what I am trying to achieve which is on the quiet end of loud?

grayscale
04-21-2009, 11:26 PM
No, a straight thru will put you on the kind of loud end of loud- like mine. A resonator will put you on the quiet end of loud. A resonator will keep you from being very loud unless you want it to be- very quiet at idle and normal driving speeds, can get loud when you stomp on it or get into the higher rpm ranges.

H8PVMNT
04-21-2009, 11:32 PM
That is exactly what I want... A resonator it is then.

Galcobar
04-22-2009, 06:42 AM
If you're keeping your stock manifold and catalytic converter, I'd get a resonator (they're not sexy aftermarket pieces so your local exhaust shop should have a perfectly good one in stock), a long and large straight-through oval muffler (e.g. 5 x 11 x 22, which is about the same size as our stock muffler), and maybe try to stuff a round-body muffler in under the body (Cali spec cars have a second cat under the body so there should be room).

If you don't mind spending a little money to experiment, get the resonator and rear muffler with your piping and see how you like it. If it's still too loud, then you can get the mid-muffler welded in fairly easily, and you're only out the cost of a couple feet of pipe.

MyOomi
05-17-2009, 06:00 PM
Noob alert! Ok so I have a RHD 98 Celica ST, and from doing a lot of reading i've come to conclusion that there is fuck all for my car. I Am seriously thinking of droping the to get the engine swapped. But i digress.. Can i go to a shop and get a custom manifold and exaughst system made?? And from what i read i would like to get a resonator.

importrcr13
05-18-2009, 02:21 AM
Noob alert! Ok so I have a RHD 98 Celica ST, and from doing a lot of reading i've come to conclusion that there is fuck all for my car. I Am seriously thinking of droping the to get the engine swapped. But i digress.. Can i go to a shop and get a custom manifold and exaughst system made?? And from what i read i would like to get a resonator.

Theres a lot of systems that would work for your ST, just search google for it. Also of course muffler shops would be able to custom fab an exhaust system for you, the 5sfe has a bunch of different manifolds available for it... have you done a lot of searching?

A lot of people i know with high performance vehicles get their exhaust systems custom fab'd to their vehicles, including myself. I thought so hard about purchasing an hks exhaust , borla , etc.. .and when it comes down to it, what am i really getting? Yes I get a name brand exhaust that is anywhere from 2"-2.5" that cost me over 600+$$USD, or i can go to a custom shop have them weld up an exhaust for me that is 3" for less than HALF the cost.

My personal preference though... lose the resonator... unless you want a quiet exhaust, or looking for more emissions... all it does is give you more restriction... plus it makes the car sound less throaty... IMO

Freshnicity
05-18-2009, 06:43 AM
Theres a lot of systems that would work for your ST, just search google for it. Also of course muffler shops would be able to custom fab an exhaust system for you, the 5sfe has a bunch of different manifolds available for it... have you done a lot of searching?

A lot of people i know with high performance vehicles get their exhaust systems custom fab'd to their vehicles, including myself. I thought so hard about purchasing an hks exhaust , borla , etc.. .and when it comes down to it, what am i really getting? Yes I get a name brand exhaust that is anywhere from 2"-2.5" that cost me over 600+$$USD, or i can go to a custom shop have them weld up an exhaust for me that is 3" for less than HALF the cost.

My personal preference though... lose the resonator... unless you want a quiet exhaust, or looking for more emissions... all it does is give you more restriction... plus it makes the car sound less throaty... IMO

I think he has the 7afe if im not mistaken.

Even then, you should be able to find a header for your engine on ebay. Check it out.

MyOomi
05-18-2009, 07:40 PM
I think maybe the problem has been that i've been looking for exausts under "celica 1.8 ST" instead of looking for my engine type. I think that may have been throwing me off. I'm not too huge on names as long as I go faster and the parts are sound :D

As for the sound well i'm looking something that is deep and throaty but doesn't make that terrible rattley coffee can sound. The only way i could describe it is a huge vibrator under a pillow hahaha. Any suggestions in that regard?? I'll have another look round for headers for my car and this time i'll look for something that fits my engine not my trim :D

Cheers buds

importrcr13
05-18-2009, 07:59 PM
I think maybe the problem has been that i've been looking for exausts under "celica 1.8 ST" instead of looking for my engine type. I think that may have been throwing me off. I'm not too huge on names as long as I go faster and the parts are sound :D

As for the sound well i'm looking something that is deep and throaty but doesn't make that terrible rattley coffee can sound. The only way i could describe it is a huge vibrator under a pillow hahaha. Any suggestions in that regard?? I'll have another look round for headers for my car and this time i'll look for something that fits my engine not my trim :D

Cheers buds

Right on, do what you need to do, you should probably open up your own thread for answers concerning this matter though ;)

As for H8PVMNT, i'm actually using flowmaster muffler, with magnaflow piping, from the 3" downpipe to a 2.5" flex to a high flow cat, we used an OG 2.5" cat for emission purposes, welded on 3" extensions bypass the resonator, and used 3" piping the rest of the way to a 2.5" flowmaster muffler.

By loosing the resonator the system is SOO quiet while driving, or at idle, however when i punch it and get the RPM's past 3k it sounds like a beast. LOVE IT, total purchase; high flow cat, 3" piping, flowmaster muffler, custom exhaust mounts, flex pipe, and about an hour and a half of my wait time, = $298.84

Although the piping isn't mendrel being 3" you couldn't even tell the slightest difference in performance decrease...

MyOomi
05-18-2009, 09:21 PM
Ya i'll open up a thread when i start finding more results i've started looking on ebay and so far only oem parts. But if they're out there i'll find em :D

So with the set up you have, has there been a noticeable improvement in acceleration? Cause what your describing is pretty much exactly what i'm looking for really. Do you have any pics of your set up??

importrcr13
05-18-2009, 09:35 PM
I have pics of it, however compared to what i was using before this i've actually lost power...

The person who had it before me had it cut off RIGHT after the down pipe, NO cat, and a muffler couplered onto the extension. Was loud as hell... and the fumes from the exhaust made me feel like throwing up everytime i drove... now its good though.