PDA

View Full Version : How to restore hood trim

METDeath
04-20-2009, 06:42 AM
Have a pesky faded hood trim? Want to fix it without dropping 40 or more dollars to eBay for a used one?

Here's what you'll need:
Masking tape (whichever flavor you like, I used blue because I had it handy, and it's pretty nifty)
Razor knife of some sort, X-acto, or your preferred hobby knife brand
Rust-oleum Bright Coat Metallic Finish paint (silver, unless you want a different color)
Krylon Fusion black (optional)

Well, here's how to do it, I started with a JDM "CELICA" trim, the lettering looked rather like this:

http://i33.photobucket.com/albums/d91/metdeath/CelicaTech/Write-Ups/DSCF0394.jpg

The area inside the vowels are black, you can repaint it with the Krylon Fusion, or if you're handy with wet sanding (I'm not, so I went with the paint) I imagine you could easily fix the insides of the letters.

Anyway, mask off the trim, leaving the lettering for last. Then with the masking tape over the lettering, gently rub it with your fingernail until you have something like this:

http://i33.photobucket.com/albums/d91/metdeath/CelicaTech/Write-Ups/DSCF0397.jpg

Now, cut just inside the raised edges, until you end up with something rather like this:

http://i33.photobucket.com/albums/d91/metdeath/CelicaTech/Write-Ups/DSCF0399.jpg

Clean the area with your choice of non-residue leaving surface cleaner (I like glass cleaner), then break out the Rust-oleum and put down two coats. Let dry overnight, remove the masking tape and enjoy something rather like this:

http://i33.photobucket.com/albums/d91/metdeath/CelicaTech/Write-Ups/DSCF0400.jpg

I'll post up with pictures after I've had it installed on the car for a while to see if there's any fading or other issues.

Mine sucks a bit because I didn't do enough prep, so take my failure to mind and do plenty of prep work!

KM
04-20-2009, 02:48 PM
If you're crafty, you can also do it to the rear.

ccsouls
04-20-2009, 04:21 PM
I always wondered if this could be done.

Thanks for sharing this.

What kind of prep work do you suggest?

Slider
04-20-2009, 06:25 PM
Personally I would wet sand that whole piece with 600 grit, then follow the guide to paint the letters. Then I would spray 2-3 light layers of clear coat over the whole thing. If the clear coat comes out nice and has no major orange peel, you're done with it. If it has orange peel and you don't want that I would wait a week, then wet sand 600, 1000, 1500, and 2000. Don't get too crazy, light pressure, don't want to cut through the clear. After that you can buff it out with some rubbing compound I use 3m Perfect-It II Rubbing Compound Fine Cut.

ccsouls
04-20-2009, 07:16 PM
Is there anyway to only prep the area to be painted?

(Sorry if this is a silly question.)

METDeath
04-20-2009, 07:52 PM
A lot of time, but the method he posted would work very well, I just did this as a quickie job. When the lettering fades or if I decide to actually show the car, or when I'm really bored, I'll redo it.

gerby77
05-18-2009, 07:45 PM
Man, that looks good!! But the hoodtrim with "celica" is really rare! ;-)

METDeath
05-18-2009, 08:20 PM
Man, that looks good!! But the hoodtrim with "celica" is really rare! ;-)

I know, this one was already completely faded, so I didn't mind attempting to fix this one up. So I gave it a shot, and it looks pretty good, it's not going on my car until I get the CF hood painted and on though.

Plus I know some guys prefer the "TOYOTA" trim, so they can restore the one they have and save 20-150 USD.

gerby77
05-18-2009, 08:30 PM
I know, this one was already completely faded, so I didn't mind attempting to fix this one up. So I gave it a shot, and it looks pretty good, it's not going on my car until I get the CF hood painted and on though.

Plus I know some guys prefer the "TOYOTA" trim, so they can restore the one they have and save 20-150 USD.

Lool you lucky guy.. I would prefer the "CELICA" one. But my "Toyota" is fading too, so i will take the chance to do it too

METDeath
05-18-2009, 09:05 PM
I'll post a picture of the can, so maybe you can find something similar near you (although, it'll probably look a little different due to the slight spelling difference between paint and lakwerk, or verf, or kleurstof).

gerby77
05-18-2009, 09:34 PM
I'll post a picture of the can, so maybe you can find something similar near you (although, it'll probably look a little different due to the slight spelling difference between paint and lakwerk, or verf, or kleurstof).

well, i think you mean: spuitlak, or spuitverf ;-) Where did you get the dutch words from?

METDeath
05-18-2009, 09:42 PM
Online dictionary... which are typically made of fail... I used to have a good one.

gerby77
05-18-2009, 10:07 PM
Online dictionary... which are typically made of fail... I used to have a good one.

well, you are willing to learn, that counts lool

METDeath
05-19-2009, 03:12 AM
I'm talented with my tongue, just ask vafalla!

gerby77
05-19-2009, 05:47 AM
I'm talented with my tongue, just ask vafalla!
what do i have to think about this? I'm good with my tongue too, ask my gf ;-)
Back on topic ;-)