PDA

View Full Version : Celica pricing?

Toyota_JDM
04-15-2009, 04:31 AM
I want something I can work on and go fast with, the Celica is a great car but there's nothing I can really do to it...long story short, I'm thinking about selling my 1990 Toyota Celica GT but I don't know how to price it. The kbb value is around $1,865...but I've seen other Celicas F/S around and they're priced at around $2000-$5000+. The majority are all old with high mileage and nothing too special. With that, I'm confused because if the car isn't worth that much, why price it like that? I'm a fair guy, but I do want the most I can get for my car. I know I treat it like a baby but there's no real way I can convert that responsibility into a price, which is a shame because I treat the car with love! lol. I just want some experienced input on how I can take advantage of my car and price it accordingly. Like everyone, I want the most I can get...however I know it's not perfect. All in all, I would love it if I could get some round numbers on what you guys think is a "do-able" price that would yield the most money.

1990 Toyota Celica GT

the car has the following:
-up to date maintenance on everything with records
-brand new tires: Yokohama AVID H4s (less that 100 mi on em)
-128,120 mi on the car
-5sfe motor
-5 spd
-tilt steering wheel
-power windows
-power door locks
-power antenna (it works but the thing won't retract)
-power steering
-radio/casset
-A/C
-factory alloy wheels
-interior is just like new (no b.s., I clean that thing out every weekend)
-cruise control
-everything works
-exterior is all fine, except faded paint on the hood, a little damage/ding on the passenger side fender, missing a left headlight bezel, and a missing front carbon faux piece.

let me know what you think it' worth...I was thinking about going for $2000 or something.

this may help, it's old... but better than nothing. (pic attached..not sure if the link worked)

Thanks guys!

Lonestag
04-15-2009, 05:12 AM
Well man, I don't think you are going to get more then 2k on the car, but the 5 spd will be a plus to the buyer who is actually looking for a celica.

I would say that you should put out an ad for like $1900 or so and be willing to go down to $1550 or so. It's a nice car and I think that is a fair price.

I will have to say that unfortunatly all the care you put into it will only probably be worth maybe $150 or so in the actual price.

All that said, thats a sweet looking celica, if I had $1500 laying around, I would drop you an offer.

joe's gt
04-15-2009, 07:28 AM
^^ this is the exact reason why I refuse to sell my celica even though it has been nothing but problems the last few years. The amount of money and of work I have put into it make it not even worth it.

I would have thought the 5th gen would have held its value a little better. Unfortunately, your probably not going to get much for it. It looks like you have taken excellent care of it, but at previously mentioned, it won't translate to upping the price that much. Good luck with the sale.

85gtsblackman
04-15-2009, 07:33 AM
eh buy a 3rd gen, if you get board with it just swap in a supra engine or a v8

Toyota_JDM
04-15-2009, 09:38 PM
eh im thinking about switching over to a mk3 supra with a 7mgte. i just wish the celica hadn't depreciated in value so much...it's too underestimated as a car. i figured i wouldn't get more that $2100 if i really try but i agree with the reason for not selling. in that, its a great car and you cant even get your money's worth...so why not keep the thing. : )

DudeMan
04-15-2009, 10:56 PM
Not everyone knows the value of a vehicle. You could easily luck out and sell it to some dumb kid as his first car for $3,000+. Also, say your open to trades.

I traded my first car (a 1991 Celica GT, like yours) for a 1998 Infiniti Q45 and then went on to trade the Infiniti for my GT-Four, see what I'm saying?

Toyota_JDM
04-15-2009, 11:00 PM
lol that'd be kick ass. i have a couple people interested...i should hold an auction. i could do a trading thing or trade plus cash. whatever gets the most money in my pocket (i know it sounds greedy but the celica is under-appreciated as a sports car)

tuner4life
04-15-2009, 11:12 PM
A rule of thumb: You will rarely get as much for a car on a forum as you would if you just put it for sale. These cars can easily go for several thousand if they are mint condition. It is all about how much you can get the buyer to pay.

burnyd
04-15-2009, 11:21 PM
a supra with a 7mgte lol, I hope you have another car and or can afford repairs.

also, with the economy the way it is good luck selling any car at this point... if you were to sell your car here in PA you would most likely get avg of 1500 dollars for it.

KM
04-16-2009, 12:24 AM
It's all about how much you can get the other person to pay.

When I bought my GT almost 2 years ago, it had about 100k miles, decent tires, new paint, new windshield, new belts.
I haggled my way down $1300.

Most people are blinded by cash.
"dude, I have these crisp $100 bills. half price?"

Toyota_JDM
04-16-2009, 04:06 AM
lol, yeah i can try my persuasive side. i just fixed the power antenna today so now the power antenna is fully operational! that should add value to it. i could try to get away with a trade or trade+cash for something worth more.