PDA

View Full Version : Glass Polishing

grayscale
04-14-2009, 11:31 PM
My front windshield has seen over 350k miles. It's starting to look like it's been hit with a sandblaster. When the sun shines directly through, it can be a real pain to see sometimes from all the little pits in it.
Does anybody know if this can be buffed or polished out? Is there such a thing?

Colossus20v
04-15-2009, 12:07 AM
I use Stoner's glass cleaner and it works wonders. I would try that first and see how it does.

grayscale
04-15-2009, 12:12 AM
Nothing like that has any effect. This is just from years of wear, the glass is physically pitted and speckled.

Ryan
04-15-2009, 01:33 AM
I have seen people use car wax on windows. I would suggest paste wax, and see how it works. Start in an area that isnt as obvious as the rest, and see how it works.

celica91gts
04-15-2009, 06:06 AM
mine is like this as well, they are basically miniscule rock chips. its hard for me to see when the sun is towards me as well. the solution is a new windshield.

19celica90
04-15-2009, 06:45 AM
They are ways to restore glass, I have seen it done before. Coming from a Collision Repair background I know that anything that has to be done with R/R of glass or refurbishing is out sourced. No body shop does glass work, legally. But, the best thing to do is go to your local body shop that you like/trust and ask them for their auto glass company they use when they need work done with windshields. Give them a call and see what your options are.
Without looking at your windshield physically, I couldn't tell you what you exactly need. But, I can say they do amazing work and can make horrible looking windshields look brand new. Most of the time they do pressure injection on bulls eyes and minor chips where they inject a type of mixture under pressure into the voids and it comes out perfect.

Shadowlife25
04-15-2009, 06:46 AM
I just used super-fine steel wool on the vert. Worked like a champ.

19celica90
04-15-2009, 06:51 AM
^but he has actual material missing from the windshield which in turn has caused voids, pits, and small bulls eyes. Steel wool will do nothing for his glass. Thats why I told him about the injection method, which will be his best bet. Steel wool would be used if you had a lot of very minor scratches that you wanted to remove. I personally have used 800 grit sandpaper on my fog lights because they were a little dull looking. I sanded them down and then buffed them really well. They looked brand spanking new, but mine were not pitted, just a little hazy looking.

ST185
04-15-2009, 04:28 PM
I've been wondering about the same since my windshield is just as bad. If u find out something that works let me know cuz I can't see a damn thing when the sun is hitting it

grayscale
04-15-2009, 09:08 PM
I might give the steel wool a try. Like I said, it looks like it's been lightly sandblasted. If you didn't know better you would think it just had a haze of dust on it. If that doesn't work I'll call around and see what I see. We have a few glass shops around here.

Galcobar
04-16-2009, 12:18 AM
Glass and chrome have the same approximate chemical hardness -- chrome polish has been used successfully to polish glass, but it is a lot of elbow work.

grayscale
04-16-2009, 01:28 AM
Good to know. You are full of all kinds of interesting info.:D

Carolina91GT-S
04-20-2009, 04:01 AM
I opted for a new windshield. It was than I thought it would be. But I can't remember for the life of me what I payed, I want to say like $150 and I did not have insurance coverage for it.

Nitro_Alltrac
04-22-2009, 03:29 AM
Most of the time the cash price for a new windshield is a lot less than the insurance price. I know I've called about windshields in the past and been asked if it's cash or insurance.

Mario, how bad was your windshield in the vert? I've got some scratches in the my windshield that I'd like to try and get out. Not bad enough to replace the windshield but just annoying.

The Captain
04-22-2009, 04:02 AM
Hey Grayscale, Triumph Auto Glass. Cheapest in town. $150 or so installed wherever you are. It's what I did on Princess.

Shadowlife25
04-22-2009, 05:45 AM
John, I agree, $150 installed is actually a great price. Since you endorse them and I have seen Princess, I'd say the work should be quality.

I used the finest grade steel wool you can get and just put my arm into it. ;)
There were alot of super small pits and a layer of overspray that was really thick as well. It worked wonderfully and the glass looks great now. For larger pitting/chips, I would say this method will not work.
Some glaze compound and wax *might* fill in very minor imperfections though.

-Mario

Nitro_Alltrac
04-22-2009, 10:08 PM
Thanks Mario. I think I'll give this a try.

grayscale
05-11-2009, 05:35 PM
Well, I gave the super fine steel wool a shot today- no luck. It did take a layer of grime off, but as far a visibility it didn't do much. Oh well, it was worth a try.

Shadowlife25
05-11-2009, 07:45 PM
Sorry to hear that Cannon. :( Try the glaze and wax next?

Car_Barn_Bandit
06-16-2010, 09:07 PM
Feel like a thread revival because Blackhawk needs a thourough windshield polishing. That setting Cali sun is turning my visibility into translucency. I'm going to spend some time polishing using a combo of compound and steel wool. I'm a bit strapped for cash for the next couple months so I just need to increase visibility in the short term.

I know waxing and filling is a non option for me because I am a regular rain-x user and that stuff will strip out any coating I apply to my window. Ill toss up some photos as soon as I gets my internets switched on. Typing to you from a train...

wontondon
06-16-2010, 09:44 PM
try when using your favorite window cleaner, use newspaper instead of paper towel (or whatever you use). supposedly it polishes the glass lightly. did it on my windshield which had a permanent fog, cleared it right up.

Car_Barn_Bandit
06-16-2010, 11:32 PM
Yeah I know newspaper is the choice paper of window cleaners. Its going to take a little more then newspaper to clear up all the micro fine scratches that are scattering light and making it difficult to drive when the outside light source is low.

I'm a fan of elbow grease, and steel wool is only 59 cents at the dollar store...