PDA

View Full Version : Well, that sucks.

KM
04-10-2009, 01:19 AM
Had some good news about getting my GT to start after it sitting since January.
Check the oil dipstick to see how much to top off, and it's milky.

I don't know if there was a little water in my engine from when it was cleaned, or if I've blown my headgasket.
No water in my coolant, but the oil is a nice cream colour now.

All I had left to do was finish putting the driveshafts in and rewiring the alarm system, but I'm now I'm just sick of seeing it sit 'cause I'm strapped for cash.

Dougy90
04-10-2009, 01:34 AM
well at least shes almost back running. change the oil and see if that helps get the water out (if some got in)

if not...sorry to hear that ur headgasket blew..

KM
04-10-2009, 02:13 AM
I have about half a gallon of oil left. I'll run that through and see what comes out. If not, it's going for parts, I guess.

Freshnicity
04-10-2009, 02:22 AM
Just do the headgasket

KM
04-10-2009, 03:05 AM
I don't have $100 to spare, not to mention I really have no clue what I'm doing. I've just been reading the BGB and taking my time.

I lost my full-time job a few months back, and am living off my sidejob... which I do at home. I only have to drive when I run out of food.

I'm still hesitant about parting it out. It's the first car I've really ever cared about, and I've already spent alot of time on it. But it hasn't been a daily driver since November, and hasn't ran since January.

grayscale
04-10-2009, 03:27 AM
Didn't sell that hoist did you?
Some of have spent years working on our cars, and some of still haven't done a whole, it just takes time.
If you really want to keep it and fix it up nice, I might be able to get together with you over the next several months and help you out.
Oh, and if it is your hg, for some odd reason, it won't cost anymore than $50, though I know that seems like a lot right now. Did you replace the hg when you pulled the engine out?

KM
04-10-2009, 03:36 AM
Yeah, I sold the hoist a couple of weeks ago to buy the oil and everything.
And then my mom's car broke down, so I had to buy her a new water pump.

And, no, I didn't replace the headgasket when I removed the engine. Money's tight for that. I just replaced the plugs and cleaned everything up. I'm hoping that it's just condensation or water from when I washed it, and not a gasket.

grayscale
04-10-2009, 04:00 AM
If you need a hoist again you can borrow mine.

KM
04-10-2009, 04:25 AM
Thanks.

I'll see where I am financially, and see if putting any more money into my GT is possible.
Then again, I do still have a PSP and a Kenwood DPX-501 headunit I can sell off.

grayscale
04-10-2009, 04:26 AM
What about the insurance money?

Edit: Is that DPX-501 a double din? Yes it is. I may have an interest in that.

KM
04-10-2009, 04:42 AM
I still have a little left, but most of it went to paying off personal debt and to bills.

KM
04-10-2009, 04:45 AM
And yes, it is. The only issue with it is that I lost the back to the remote.

grayscale
04-10-2009, 05:56 AM
Let me know if you want to sell it or list in the for sale section I noticed it has usb, so I'm definitely interested.

KM
04-10-2009, 06:09 AM
Well, you've got first dibs, so I wasn't going to list it until you passed it up.
I don't remember what I paid for it.
Google/eBay search shows $175-$269.

grayscale
04-10-2009, 06:26 AM
Damn, it just dawned on me, I have a brand new head gasket sitting here. I have listed in a for sale thread, but I forgot all about it. Let me know if you need it, I might be able to drop it by to you on Saturday before I go meet up with METDeath, should save you some money.

KM
04-10-2009, 06:37 AM
Sweet!
I definitely appreciate it.

What else would I need to get, other than the headbolts?
I should probably read up on that, since it looks like I'm keeping the GT thanks to you.
haha :D

Edit: OMG, now I remember why I didn't want to do this.

Freshnicity
04-10-2009, 07:13 AM
??didnt want to do what

grayscale
04-10-2009, 07:14 AM
Did you get the copper exhaust gasket? At the least, IIRC, you could get way with some fipg and head bolts, maybe valve cover gasket depending on age.

Freshnicity
04-10-2009, 07:19 AM
Should also change that rubber camshaft/pully gasket while youre at it. They tend to leak. Its like a $3 gasket, if that.

KM
04-10-2009, 07:20 AM
I haven't gotten that yet. I was making sure it actually ran before I bought it. In hindsight, I should've ordered it when I was paying off all my bills.

I can only assume that no gasket has ever been replaced. I've owned it for a little under 2 years, so I don't know what's been taken care of.

grayscale
04-10-2009, 07:27 AM
Well the valve cover gasket is rubber, so if you pop it open and it's still pliable it may be usable.
Yes the camshaft seal is cheap, but if you're on a really tight budget you can seal it up with fipg.
So you'll need an exhaust gasket too then.

Freshnicity
04-10-2009, 07:32 AM
Well the valve cover gasket is rubber, so if you pop it open and it's still pliable it may be usable.
Yes the camshaft seal is cheap, but if you're on a really tight budget you can seal it up with fipg.
So you'll need an exhaust gasket too then.

True.

If your on a really tight budjet, just take care of what you really need. Theres place i guess you can skimp on, and others you really just cant.

Think gray mentioned everything you'll really need.

HG
head bolts
exhaust manny gasket.
Intake manny gasket(if you even remove it, i removed mine with the head, easier that way, prob wont need this)
valve cover gasket, if you need it.

KM
04-10-2009, 07:46 AM
How long does this usually take to do?

I'm looking at the BGB, and it's just confusing the hell out of me, so I'm worried I'll get in over my head.

grayscale
04-10-2009, 08:13 AM
Depends on if you have help or not. It can be a bit daunting your first time. If you take it slowly and be sure you do it right, it shouldn't take more than 2 days. When are you planning on doing it?

KM
04-10-2009, 03:35 PM
I'm not sure. I don't have a garage, and this doesn't look anywhere near easy.
It actually looks like it'd be way out of my league.

grayscale
04-10-2009, 03:47 PM
It just seems that way the first time.

KM
04-10-2009, 05:42 PM
On a related note, if I were to just sell the car, what's a reasonable price?
I have a list of things that need to be replaced.

Power steering reservoir & hoses, the green TVSV on the water inlet, A/C controls, lower speedometer cable, stereo bezel, etc.
I priced everything at PullAPart for under $100, so if I sell my stereo, I could go get all that stuff.

Body's in nearly perfect condition.
Timing belt, water pump, thermostat, brakes are all new. Custom intake.
I have a capacitor mounted under the driver's seat and an amp under the passenger's.
Also, obviously, the alarm system half-wired.

If I decide to go that route, would it be better to part it out or try to sell it as a whole? I'm just looking at my options here. It's a shame to let my GT sit, when the body is in such good condition.

Freshnicity
04-10-2009, 05:53 PM
I'm not sure. I don't have a garage, and this doesn't look anywhere near easy.
It actually looks like it'd be way out of my league.

I thought the samething when i did it on my GT. Did it by myself and outside, only worked on it for 2-3 hours a day, and it took me about, 1.5-2 weeks to finish, including days i didnt work on it.

If you just take your time, its not that hard. Really, all it is, is nuts and bolts.

grayscale
04-10-2009, 06:16 PM
On a related note, if I were to just sell the car, what's a reasonable price?
Color, mileage, wheels, tires, brakes?

KM
04-10-2009, 08:27 PM
Color, mileage, wheels, tires, brakes?

Red
alloy wheels with pretty good tires
brakes were revamped back in Oct.

I have a few pictures in my Gallery.

grayscale
04-10-2009, 08:38 PM
$2k-$2,500

KM
04-10-2009, 08:58 PM
I know that's KBB's price. If I were to sell it like it is, what should I look for?

grayscale
04-10-2009, 10:14 PM
You mean what car should you look for?

KM
04-10-2009, 10:48 PM
I meant if I sold the car as is, what do you think I'd get for it?
If it's too far under KBB, it'll just sit until I get the chance to fix it.

grayscale
04-10-2009, 10:49 PM
I'm thinkin you could get $2k-2500. I'd list it for 2,500 and take the first 2k or more.

KM
04-12-2009, 12:10 AM
w00t!

I just remembered that I never bought all my oil to the recycler (about 5 gallons worth), so I ran all that through my engine.
First time is was way milky, then started getting darker, and darker, and now it's coming out like it's going in (you know... used-oil black).
So sweet! Head gasket's not blown!

I let it idle for about 15-20 minutes until it was running out of gas, it's not running 100% perfect yet. Still has a bit of white smoke coming out of the muffler, and the engine's a bit smoky, but its idling fine and everything seems to be working.

Dougy90
04-12-2009, 03:28 AM
good to hear the headgaskets not blown.

grayscale
04-12-2009, 04:12 PM
Good deal , let me know if you need anything else.

KM
04-12-2009, 04:36 PM
Know where I can get a bootclamp that doesn't make me buy an entire boot kit?
My CV boots are in excellent condition, but I'd pulled the LH boot/shaft off the tulip when I couldn't hammer the shaft out of the tranny. I still can't get that out. :D

Other than that, I just need:

lower speedometer (tranny gear side) cable
radio bezel
a/c control panel (manual switch)
door tweeter covers
driver's door mirror bracket
automatic shifter bezel (the illuminator part)
power steering reservoir & hoses
TVSV on water inlet (green, 2 hose connector)
door floor runners (the ones that hide the fuseboxes)
hood pull lever (in kickpanel)
ignition switch wiring connector (black M with wire slack, for alarm system)
LH engine mount bracket
hood prop

and then my GT is in COMPLETE!

grayscale
04-12-2009, 08:33 PM
I have/can get most of that for you. What kind of deal can we work out?

Freshnicity
04-13-2009, 12:44 AM
thats great to hear bro!!!, glad it worked out.

If i see anything you need at pick n pull, ill grab it for you if itll be reasonable to ship for you.

KM
04-14-2009, 11:44 PM
I have/can get most of that for you. What kind of deal can we work out?

Sorry. Been working up in Atlanta the last couple of days.

I was planning on selling the headunit for $150 to cover the rest of what I needed. It's running around $200 on eBay.

My entire list is about $75 at PAP, including the small stuff that would otherwise be gotten free.

grayscale
04-14-2009, 11:49 PM
So $75 for the hu plus parts? I'll get to work on it.

KM
04-15-2009, 11:56 PM
Cannon, I took some quick pictures of what I needed. 15 items. It's looking around $80 if you don't pocket any of it. I know I could drive up there and get it for about $30-40. ;)

http://i589.photobucket.com/albums/ss335/alittlex/IMAGE_070copy.jpg
Right hand engine stay
(only the nut and bolt)
pocket-able?

http://i589.photobucket.com/albums/ss335/alittlex/IMAGE_071copy.jpg
left hand engine stay
(need it with nut and bolt)
pocket-able?

http://i589.photobucket.com/albums/ss335/alittlex/IMAGE_072copy.jpg
door floor runners
(the passenger side is cracked. if you can find it, I'll take it. if not, it's not THAT big of a deal, I guess)
$5.95 each

http://i589.photobucket.com/albums/ss335/alittlex/IMAGE_076copy.jpg
driver door mirror bracket
(I do have tweeters, and if you can find the covers, I need them as well)
$4.35 to 6.53, pocketable?

http://i589.photobucket.com/albums/ss335/alittlex/IMAGE_073.jpg
power steering reservoir
(I need the reservoir and the two hoses connected to it. )
$3.73 + 2.72

http://i589.photobucket.com/albums/ss335/alittlex/IMAGE_074.jpg
A/C control
$9.51

http://i589.photobucket.com/albums/ss335/alittlex/IMAGE_075.jpg
lower speedometer (tranny gear side) cable
$7.07 ?

http://i589.photobucket.com/albums/ss335/alittlex/IMAGE_077.jpg
green, 2-hose TVSV
$4, pocket-able?

radio bezel (I don't have a picture 'cause mine is in pieces, too broken to fix)
$3.26

http://i589.photobucket.com/albums/ss335/alittlex/IMAGE_081copy.jpg
automatic shifter water guard/illuminator? it's the flimsy piece that shows you what gear you're in
$2.13? pocket-able?

http://i589.photobucket.com/albums/ss335/alittlex/IMAGE_080.jpg
hood release lever (I need the entire assembly with the screws if you can find 'em)
$6.25, pocket-able?

http://i589.photobucket.com/albums/ss335/alittlex/IMAGE_079.jpg
ignition switch wiring connector (need some slack wire, aswell.)
$6.53

hood prop
(mine was broken/welded, I also need the grommet)
no idea how much it is

http://i589.photobucket.com/albums/ss335/alittlex/IMAGE_078copy.jpg
the bracket that holds the fusebox onto the battery mount

http://i589.photobucket.com/albums/ss335/alittlex/IMAGE_082copy.jpg
rear window (coupe) liner... I've never gotten one out in one piece, so if you can't, I'm fiberglassing it up.

grayscale
04-16-2009, 12:02 AM
No problem, you won't really find any of that at the PaPs, Marshall and i checked them out this past weekend, most everything was stripped. But no fear, I have a local yard I can get all the parts from.

KM
04-16-2009, 12:12 AM
Yeah, the last time I checked the PaP site, there were 2 at South, 4 at North, and 3 at East.

I know there's a 91 being parted out in Palmetto, but I don't know how much of it the guy has left. I haven't been looking around for parts since I don't have spending money.

Speaking of which, do you have the adapter harness for the stereo or do you need that, as well? I also have a stereo-RCA jack with it. Makes it iPod/PSP-ready. :D

grayscale
04-16-2009, 01:24 AM
I have the harness for the Sys10. :D

grayscale
04-17-2009, 09:27 PM
So far I have the ignition switch connector, floor runners, hood release lever, and a/c control.

grayscale
04-23-2009, 09:04 PM
Update:
Here is a complete list of the parts I have for you-
-Ignition switch connector
-Door floor runners/sills
-Hood release lever
-Complete A/C control unit
-Right/Left engine stays w/bolts and nuts
-Hood prop stick
-Hood prop stick grommet
-Lower speedo cable section for auto tranny
-Green 2 port vsv
-Auto shifter cover/gear selector
-Two small brackets for fuse box to battery bracket
-Gray carpeted rear window tray

I have not been able to acquire-
-Driver door mirror bracket
-Tweeter covers
-Radio trim

KM
04-24-2009, 05:25 AM
THIS IS GOING TO BE THE BEST BIRTHDAY EVAR!

I'm excited for these.