PDA

View Full Version : Short ram, or cold air?

CarolinaJr.
04-09-2009, 07:05 PM
I'm trying to decide if i should stick with the stock cold air intake or put a short ram on it. It would be the first mod i do if i do it.

Shadowlife25
04-09-2009, 07:19 PM
If you have the time a Cold Air setup will yield a slightly better performance. It will take a bit longer to get setup, but it will be nice.

A short ram intake isn't bad either. The intake charge will not be as cool, but you will still have the benefit of more filter area.

So based on that, it's a matter of choice. Personally, I would do a cold air setup if possible. :)

my .02

-Mario

CarolinaJr.
04-09-2009, 07:26 PM
I was looking for more of a jump, or in the long run for a faster start off. More filter room is nice also. What all would i need to do to upgrade the stock cool air?

celica91gts
04-09-2009, 08:13 PM
piping, couplers, and a good filter

grayscale
04-09-2009, 09:35 PM
Over the years I've come to the conclusion that the stock airbox does a really good job along with a K&N drop in filter. The only reason I decided to change mine in the end was for a tad bit more room under the hood and looks, otherwise a stock airbox in good order provides great airflow and adequate filter surface area. There are several threads in the 5th gen forum on short rams and cai. I think the best so far is routing a cai through the hole in the fender frame where the old intake went and putting your filter in the void above the wheel well. I'm in the middle of redoing mine like that.

CarolinaJr.
04-09-2009, 09:38 PM
Alright cool. Ill stick with the cold air.

Kastigir
04-09-2009, 10:20 PM
Where do you want your power bump?

CarolinaJr.
04-09-2009, 11:09 PM
How much difference is it? Is it worth it because its that much more of a jump, or will upgrading the cool air be better in the long run.

CarolinaJr.
04-09-2009, 11:36 PM
Dose the K&N filter take away the box? Or dose it go inside like the stock filter. Dose anyone have a pic of it?

grayscale
04-09-2009, 11:42 PM
Uh, no. When it comes to NA cars we're talking atmospheric pressure in the manifold. The air in the manifold, in the intake tube and sitting outside the filter waiting to be sucked in are all the same- the air is there, it is all of equal pressure. It's not as if you're starting off with no air in the intake tract and must wait for it to move from the filter to the tb. In short, there is no waiting for air. If you were having to wait for air, then you would step on the gas and notice a pause before the car even moved, which in turn wouldn't work very well because all the while you're waiting for air, you're injectors are pumping gas for no reason...you see where this is going. The only time this line of thinking applies is in turbo applications when referring to lag, where you have to wait for the turbine to reach a certain speed to achieve optimum pressure.

That being said, there is a difference in short ram and cai when doing super fine tuning such wavelengths and air velocity, but those things don't really affect the everyday tuner.

grayscale
04-09-2009, 11:42 PM
Dose the K&N filter take away the box? Or dose it go inside like the stock filter. Dose anyone have a pic of it?
It goes inside the box, looks just like a standard replacement filter.

CarolinaJr.
04-09-2009, 11:45 PM
Alright i understand. Thank you

Shadowlife25
04-10-2009, 06:38 AM
Thread cleaned to remove mis-information.

Thanks much to Grayscale for the informative posts. :)

Carolina Jr., be sure to show us when you're done. ;)

Slider
04-10-2009, 08:55 AM
I would go with the cold air if you're looking for some gains as others have suggested. I doubt a short ram would give you any benefit over the stock air box. I have a short ram, the only reason I put it in is because it was cheaper than getting a replacement intake hose from Toyota. Mine had a small crack in it, and a short ram looks better than duct tape.

CarolinaJr.
04-10-2009, 04:46 PM
I'm sticking with the cold air, thank you everyone and sorry shadow.

grayscale
04-10-2009, 05:24 PM
Nothing to be sorry for mang!:bigthumbu

CarolinaJr.
04-10-2009, 05:30 PM
Lol alright

Shadowlife25
04-10-2009, 07:26 PM
Nothing at all to be sorry for brotha. :)

It was a couple of the other posts that needed cleaning.

CarolinaJr.
04-10-2009, 09:12 PM
Sweet :) lol