PDA

View Full Version : Crisco- Auto Parts Conspiracy?

grayscale
03-31-2009, 11:04 PM
Why can't I buy wiper blade refills anymore? Now I have to pay 3 times as much and get a whole new wiper. And they wonder why the economy is going to crap... :laugh:

Murgatroy
03-31-2009, 11:07 PM
I have found that the whole assembly is only a dollar or two more, and frankly after the first time is less effort.

grayscale
03-31-2009, 11:09 PM
Where did you find that? I used to get the refills for like $4 for both, the cheapest wiper I found is like $7 each.

celica9303
03-31-2009, 11:35 PM
For the rubber inserts you can only get them at the dealer now all the auto stores around her stoprd carring them

KoreanJoey
04-01-2009, 02:46 AM
You can still get Toyota inserts for you Toyota wipers...

noob.

grayscale
04-01-2009, 02:51 AM
How much will I be gouged for?

donteatbugs
04-01-2009, 03:14 AM
over 9000!

METDeath
04-01-2009, 03:20 AM
Actually, it's not that bad, problem is, they fail to realize that the wipers are two different lengths, so you'll have to trim one. I order mine in groups of four inserts, typically when I'm already ordering stuff from 1sttoyota.

CriScO
04-01-2009, 04:25 AM
Hands hurt. Earful later. :D

brak
04-01-2009, 05:41 AM
was just at o'reilley a week ago buying new blades, and some lady asked me "why are these blades only a dollar"?

she was holding the refills you speak of.

tell me what you want, and i'll clean them out for ya :wiggle:

grayscale
04-01-2009, 05:51 AM
OOoo! I need some 22" and 24" and whatever goes on a 5th and 6th gen. I'm going to check my local oreilly tomorrow then.

Dougy90
04-01-2009, 06:37 AM
everytime i go to the dealer to pick up wiper inserts i only pay about 4 bucks total.

CriScO
04-02-2009, 05:45 AM
Alrighty...

There are reasons for this beyond profit, but I will concede that it was most likely why they made the decision. However, there were inherent problems with the refills that made me glad we stopped carrying them.

The biggest issue was the types. A refill isn't standard, just like there are different connections on the arms. First, there are different widths. OE blades are generally thinner than aftermarket, so the customer needs to know if they have the original blades or not. Plus that may not be enough. At one point we carried 2-5 different widths for every length of blade. Add all the connection types of the whole blades, and that's a rediculous amount of inventory.

Beyond that, different frames can also use different types of rails, often with different clips for attaching them. So even if you got the right width it still may not fit. I.E. many Trico refills won't fit Anco blades, etc. Hell, there were even some Trico blades that needed a special type of Trico refill, not the standard one.

With the variety of sizes and types, it basically made it impossible to find the right blade the first time. If you did, you were lucky. Every customer would get pissed that they got the wrong refills, "because our computer's wrong." No, you just don't have the frames it's assuming you do.

Next, frames wear out, just like blades do. It takes longer, but it happens. The assemblies weather and loose flexibility. Frames serve a dual purpose, both to flex the blade to the window's shape and to distribute pressure from the arms evenly. Either aspect failing leads to performance problems, and once again the customer assuming that it's the store's fault. No refill will work well in a rusted out 20 year old frame. If the frame binds, it won't flex. If it flexes too much, it won't have pressure to hold the whole blade down.

Cost was also an issue, at least for our brand. An assembly that cost $8.99 had a refill that cost $7.99. That was based on cost, so the company paid almost the same price for a strip of rubber that they did for the whole thing. This was also an issue of volume, because not enough refills were sold to justify ordering as many as the assemblies. Can't buy as much, pay more. Both at the corporate and consumer ends.

Finally, the last issue is that most car manufactures are leaning to the new style "one piece" blades, like the Bosch Icon, Trico Neoform, etc. New cars are equipped with them from the factory, and they cannot be refilled. If that's the way they lean, parts stores and aftermarket manufacturers follow suit.

So yes, there are situations where it sucks, but I'm happy with the decision. Makes my job easier and gives people better performance from their wipers. Win-win in my book.