PDA

View Full Version : N/A Mods, what are the gains?

Freshnicity
03-30-2009, 08:40 PM
So, since it might be a little while before i can boost my 5s, I wanted to look into some VERY mild N/A mods.

Headers-Found a item on ebay, its about $112 shipped, i know a few people here run it, what gains do you see from it? I know, better airflow, helps the engine breathe, but are there any noticeable gains?

CAI- If i were to construct one, what gains could i see from this? Again, better breathing for the engine, but is it again noticeable?

Ignition-is there really gains from a good plug/wire match and upgrade? Or no?

Now if you add those all up, and if i ran those headers, with a CAI, with my stock GT exhaust except with my GT-S muffler, and got better spark plugs and different wires, could i see noticeable gains, for a decent price?

Headers $112
CAI $40(around that)

new plugs/wires $ who knows?

Would it even be worth it?

joe's gt
03-30-2009, 09:16 PM
Dude the less money you spend on pointless N/A mods, the more money you will have for the boosted 5s. Besides cams, there isn't much you can do to net big power gains or shifts in the power curve for the N/A. My suggestion would be to save all of your money for boosting your 5s.

Shadowlife25
03-30-2009, 09:47 PM
Look up the username MrTurrari. You will find some GREAT info. Very smart man there.

grayscale
03-30-2009, 10:03 PM
Yep, if your just waiting to do a turbo in the future than I would suggest you just your money for that. None of the bolt on 5s options will net you much other than a good throttle response and a few ponies.

Murgatroy
03-30-2009, 11:32 PM
Yep, if your just waiting to do a turbo in the future than I would suggest you just your money for that. None of the bolt on 5s options will net you much other than a good throttle response and a few ponies.
:stupid:

You might spend $1000 for all the bolt-ons (header,cams, ignition, piggy back, exhaust, CAI, etc...) and only gain 10 horses.

Save up for the turbo if that is what you want.

Ryan
03-31-2009, 12:24 AM
Well, I think with the intake, you will see better throttle response, and possibly a little better top end.

The header will open up the top end quite a bit as well, BUT, since you live in cali, I would not recommend this since it deletes the catalytic converter when you put it on.

A good set of plugs and wires arent going to give you OMG power, but it will help gas mileage a bit.

grayscale
03-31-2009, 01:15 AM
The header will open up the top end quite a bit as well, BUT, since you live in cali, I would not recommend this since it deletes the catalytic converter when you put it on.

I wouldn't say quite a bit, the top end is really restricted on the 5s. Though you are right, being in CA the header would be more trouble than it's worth.

Freshnicity
03-31-2009, 02:27 AM
thanks for all the suggestions.

Honestly, i have no idea when i will be able to boost my 5s, it might take a lot longer then i expected. But it does make sense to save money and boost the 5s.

As for the CAI, ill end up doing that, because its inexpensive and would be cool to make one.

Headers - not an issue in CA, its only an issue if for some reason i get pulled over and asked to pop my hood, which doesnt happen often, unless your car is obviously modded, ie lowered/loud exhaust. But then again, i wont need them once i boost the 5s, so i might not waste that money, unless i can find one for reallllly cheap.

plugs/wires, good info, i noticed more of a positive response from the car when i threw the new plugs in, but i think that it was only cause the others were fouled out like crazy.

Think ill just save for the boost build, like suggested. CAI will happen, probably not the headers

and yeah, that Mrtarrari guy seems to have A LOT of info.

thanks for all the info guys.

Does advancing the timing show gains, without putting to much strain on the car?

celica91gts
03-31-2009, 02:38 AM
i wouldn't even bother with your header, why buy a header when in a few months your just going to take it off for your turbo header. thats 100$ towards a turbo mod. there's a guy selling a 2 bar map sensor right now for 75$. buy that, you'll need it if you want more then 5lbs of boost.

grayscale
03-31-2009, 02:38 AM
Does advancing the timing show gains, without putting to much strain on the car?
Not any more than any of the other stuff, really just a bit of throttle response.

Freshnicity
03-31-2009, 02:55 AM
i wouldn't even bother with your header, why buy a header when in a few months your just going to take it off for your turbo header. thats 100$ towards a turbo mod. there's a guy selling a 2 bar map sensor right now for 75$. buy that, you'll need it if you want more then 5lbs of boost.

Word. Yeah makes sense.

Link son! link to the map sensor

celica91gts
03-31-2009, 07:35 AM
http://www.celicatech.com/forums/showthread.php?t=40548

there are 2 for sale. oh please save me one

Freshnicity
03-31-2009, 03:41 PM
thanks man.

And ill be picking one up as soon as my manifold sells lol. I only need one

RedRkt01
04-02-2009, 03:18 AM
Dude the less money you spend on pointless N/A mods.....

This is your statement: :thumbsdow This is your statement after I prove you wrong :duh: Any questions? :wiggle:

beingblueeyes
04-02-2009, 03:33 AM
There are some good posts here; building a N/A 5s dose take money and time BUT if I wanted:
1) More power
2) To pass smog test (Kiss this good bye when messing with anything on the motor if the inspection station is doing their job properly)

I would keep it N/A, get the header (if the reason you think he shouldnít go with a header is because it will delete one of the cats and he wonít pass smog then deleting a cat and adding a turbo in its place will not get him to pass smog either and depending on the smog test the cold air intake may fail him on the visual inspection especially a cold air intake without a CARB sticker)

if i were you i would:
get your cold air intake (around 40.00 usd) a header (around 112.00 usd) 2 step colder plugs (30.00 or less) and a n20 kit (350.00 used or less on ebay) and jet it at 40 to 50 hp (retard ign. timing 4 degrees on 50 hp n20 shot) because the 5s stock cams from what Iíve read are very good n20 cams.

So youíll have more power when you need it (and be able to run low oct gas in the your tank when you donít intend on using n20 for a bit)
Pass smog (if you install stock header and stock air box)

my .02

Shadowlife25
04-02-2009, 03:40 AM
And a greatly reduced life expectancy for that engine...

BAD idea to use N2o on an unopened engine that is not built around it.
Don't get me wrong, it will be fun and last for a decent while, but overall, my original opinion stands.
If you aren't doing a build that has N2o in mind, you are setting yourself up to spend lots of money replacing things.

beingblueeyes
04-02-2009, 03:44 AM
How do you figure that? If he tunes the n20 system correctly aka no detonation (colder plugs and retards timing and uses high test gas with n20) and stays within a safe power incress how will that shorten the motors life?

Shadowlife25
04-02-2009, 03:50 AM
Because NO ONE DOES IT CORRECTLY. That's why.

grayscale
04-02-2009, 04:00 AM
Because NO ONE DOES IT CORRECTLY. That's why.
Troof. And even if you do, really? You think it would last just as long as it would without the juice? Sorry, but worn rings and valves being sprayed regardless of plugs and timing eventually turns into a bad day.

Besides, the cost of refilling that bottle far outweighs the one time harware cost of boost.

Freshnicity
04-02-2009, 05:35 AM
yeah, nitrous is not an option. The car wont hold up well to it, im pretty sure id lose my clutch and destroy the motor.

The turbo on the other hand, is happening, when? soon i hope. We'll see how funds are.

Im going to do CAI, and maybe headers for shits and giggles if i can get them without taking away from my car project fund.

Thanks for all the replies, really great suggestions here.

Slider
04-02-2009, 08:45 PM
Save your money. Everything that you put on it now will get replaced when you go turbo. Use the cash for other things that you will need like intercooler, oil lines, coolant lines, various fittings, some sort of tuning device, gauges/sensors, turbo, turbo manifold, piping, maybe injectors and fuel pump (depending on your goals) clutch, tires :burn: and money on the side for a new transmission or engine incase one of them craps out

If you want cheap little gains for now I'd go with the CAI and a timing advance to 16 degrees + higher octane gas.

celica91gts
04-02-2009, 09:00 PM
i sprayed, 40 shot of dry, ran colder plugs and retarded the timing as well. and yeah its fun. but honestly it's not worth it. power is not always there and depends heavily on the temperature and pressure of the bottle. not only that but it's a hassle to open your hatch and open the bottle every time you want to use it. it ran me 40$ to fill the bottle every time and even if you did take correct safety measures like i did it still destroyed my clutch. given if you have your stock clutch and boost you will still burn it out but trust me and everyone else. it's really not worth it.