PDA

View Full Version : E153 Solara - How to identify?

NealWright
03-29-2009, 09:13 PM
Alright, I'm supposed to be going to look at a V6 Solara MT this week.

I'd like some insight into what I'm looking at, before I go. I figure it should be easy to tell it's not an All-Trac ... duh! But I'm not sure I could tell an S53 from an E153? Or, even a FWD from an MR2? Any pictures or pointers?

Also ... if the parts are available, what else might I want? Half-shaft? Shifter cables? The trans is out of a car ... and the guy didn't seem to know much about it, other than swearing it was definitely a V6 Solara.

Thanks, Neal

Murgatroy
03-29-2009, 10:21 PM
It would be my understanding that any V6 Manual Transmission Solara would be the E153.

NealWright
03-29-2009, 10:53 PM
I'm hoping that too ... but the trans is not with the car anymore. Does Toyota put a tag on it anywhere, like the engine code on the timing cover? Are there any external cue's?

Also, might as well ask ... what is a fair price for a used one? He wants $300 for this one. Are they serviceable/rebuildable if need be?

Thanks, Neal

joe's gt
03-30-2009, 02:10 AM
That price definitely sounds reasonable to me. Maybe even more than reasonable. You'll need the Mr2 inners and the alltrac outers as far as axles go. Can't help you out with the cosmetic differences either. I am not sure about the shifter linkage and cables tho. There is info on this in a sticky in the FI forum I believe.

NealWright
03-30-2009, 10:44 AM
That was another question I had ... but I'm sure is in the sticky.

With the MR2 inners (I assume Solara inners would work the same?) ... and All Trac outers ... which axle shaft do you use? I assume the All Trac Axle?

joe's gt
03-30-2009, 11:12 PM
So after tons of searching posts with indefinite answers (cuz I was curious myself), it seems that you will need st205 cables, mr2 inners (it appears the v6 inners won't work, probably because the carrier bearing bracket doesn't line up or something) and alltrac outers ( you could also use the solara outers but that would be pointless considering the alltrac ones will be stronger).

I might be wrong about the axles tho. Still trying to get a definitive answer on that.

edit: you have to have the mr2 inners for the carrier bearing to line up on the passenger side.

You also need the st185 crossmember for the mounts to line up.

So basically: mr2 inners/alltrac outers, st205 shifter cables, st185 crossmember

Luni
03-30-2009, 11:25 PM
All E153s have a tranny fluid bypass line on the bottom of the tranny case, so its a u shaped line. S53s and S54s dont have it.

And yes, if its a manual tranny off a camry, its an E153

Everything Joe said is correct.

You need alltrac shifter cables. You need MR2 inners, and alltrac outers.

Smaay
04-02-2009, 05:04 PM
that bypass line is for the all-trac oil cooler. there is a small pump and everythign i the tranny. it really is a work of art!

burnyd
04-02-2009, 06:06 PM
So after tons of searching posts with indefinite answers (cuz I was curious myself), it seems that you will need st205 cables, mr2 inners (it appears the v6 inners won't work, probably because the carrier bearing bracket doesn't line up or something) and alltrac outers ( you could also use the solara outers but that would be pointless considering the alltrac ones will be stronger).

I might be wrong about the axles tho. Still trying to get a definitive answer on that.

edit: you have to have the mr2 inners for the carrier bearing to line up on the passenger side.

You also need the st185 crossmember for the mounts to line up.

So basically: mr2 inners/alltrac outers, st205 shifter cables, st185 crossmember

you do not need st205 shifter cables, GT Shifter cables will work just fine.

Axle wise you need MR2 Inners and Alltrac outers.. the inners are the hard part to find.... you can get a set of axles from advance for 60 bux? and you will obviously have to make a custom axle out of it.....

And yes the GT Carrier bearing bracket is entirely too small for the Alltrac Axle to fit.... therefore you will need the carrier bearing bracket that comes off of a alltrac. Or, I have not tried this punnisher did you can bore out the gt carrier bearing bracket not something I would try.

also as far as identifying it if it is a mt and shifter linkage is on the top of the transmission and if you have seen a s5x transmission you can obviously tell from the size of the gear box of a e153 that it would be a solara e153.

joe's gt
04-02-2009, 10:42 PM
^^ Thanks burnyd.

Really wanted to hear from someone who had actually done it. I read everywhere that you need the st205 shifter cables but I guess not. Thanks for clearing that up.