PDA

View Full Version : what temperature to paint a car?

zmile06
03-27-2009, 11:05 PM
So in ohio it's raining on and off, and the high is about 58 and a low of 36-38 around over nights etc. I was wondering if that temperature would be ok if i painted during the day around the mid 50's. Or would the over night temperature mess up the paint job?

mar_phi6
03-27-2009, 11:46 PM
wow your still here

lburner
03-28-2009, 12:23 AM
what temperature paint do u have? i wouldn't paint the car until u know for sure its not going to rain for a couple of days.

joe's gt
03-28-2009, 01:00 AM
I painted during winter, I live in cali so it never got quite that cold. The thing it will affect most is the clearcoat. Just wait for the warmest day possible without rain so there isn't a lot of humidity. 50 degrees is really on the edge IMO. Basically what you will have to do is wait longer between coats and give the clear longer to cure. You gonna need the lowest temp activator for clear you can get. I don't know if they sell temperature specific paint supplies or not, I'm no expert on this subject. I am just speaking from personal spraying experience.

Your overnight temp won't mess up the paint job, it will just take a lot longer to cure, so you really need to make sure there is no rain. Based on my limited spraying experiences, I would say you are fine if you can get it done on a 50 or over day and wait a while between coats and let the paint cure for a few days.

zmile06
03-28-2009, 08:58 AM
it would be in a garage so i'm not sure how humidity would have have a huge affect unless it was raining at the exact time I'm getting it sprayed. I think the activator recommends 40-80

joe's gt
03-28-2009, 10:55 PM
Oh, if its in a garage then I would say your definitely fine at 50 degrees. The colder temps won't matter at night, it will just take longer to cure. You just have to make sure you wait long enough between coats because if you spray another coat on before the previous one has dried enough, the previous coat begins to evaporate and cause small little bubbles that I think is called "cratering". You could always leave the lights on at night if you have a bunch of flourescents in there to help heat it a little or leave heater going all night.

NealWright
03-29-2009, 01:05 AM
Watch the humidity ... I shot some black on a panel last fall, just before sunset. Came back, and the condensation left all the parts cloudy. Had to re-shoot.

VikingJZ
03-29-2009, 07:22 PM
To be on the safe side, I would wait until a nice spring day rolls around where its 75 all day and dips into the 50's at night.

Start in the morning, that way you have all day to make sure its done properly and you can allow more time to cure.

joe's gt
03-29-2009, 07:55 PM
Watch the humidity ... I shot some black on a panel last fall, just before sunset. Came back, and the condensation left all the parts cloudy. Had to re-shoot.

I totally agree. Humidity will be a much bigger factor than temperature.

zmile06
03-29-2009, 11:23 PM
My uncle is spraying and were going to wet the floor to keep dust down, and with medium reducer 60's should be fine to spray, if not we can get a lower temp reducer. But it should be fine might just take a little while to cure. There isn't much humidity here in this part of ohio, so we should be fine.

joe's gt
03-30-2009, 02:01 AM
Yeah, man, as long as your not on a time crunch, which you should never paint if you are, just spray her, and if something doesn't work out, you can just sander her down and re-spray. I honestly think you'll be fine, just make sure you wait a while between coats. When I painted in the winter I waited about half an hour between coats. Any earlier than that and I would get bubbles from the undercoat evaporating. There's a guy on here named Jason that does this for a living and hopefully he will chime in because he knows a lot more about this than I do. I am just a diy painter.

Its amazing how much dust gets on the paint even when you think your doing it in a clean garage. You might end up having to (which is what I had to do because there was just too much dust, even with wetting the floor) is do the primer, let it cure and sand that down, do the basecoat, let it cure and then sand that down, and then do the clear and let that cure then buff her out.

But if there isn't much dust getting on the paint between coats, you'll be fine to spray all 3 in one day, although I would suggest doing the sand after primer and basecoat method.