PDA

View Full Version : New Emissions Rule In California, has to be a joke....

burnyd
03-26-2009, 07:19 PM
http://www.autoblog.com/2009/03/25/california-to-reduce-carbon-emissions-by-banning-black-cars/

Ryan
03-26-2009, 07:28 PM
WOW.... just.... wow. That is by far, the DUMBEST idea that CARB has ever brewed up.

VikingJZ
03-26-2009, 07:29 PM
Saw that yesterday.

Nazifornia FTL!

What about people with black cars already? They have to repaint their car so their A/C system doesn't work as hard?

Whats the difference besides someone who leaves their A/C cranked every day and all day because they like being cold?

How can people there stand CARB?

I'll just deal with my political and religious differences and live in a state that really doesn't give a shit.

Azzazzyn
03-26-2009, 07:40 PM
I know you can't tint the windshield, but wouldn't allowing a lower tint % help this as well. I know tint laws are usually for 2 reasons, driver visibility at night and the ability of law enforcement to see the driver through the windows as they approach the car, but still.

VikingJZ
03-26-2009, 07:46 PM
Yep.

They had several comments about allowing darker tint on cars. Tint helps, exterior car color--in my opinion--doesn't matter. Interior color I feel does, which tint helps.

My SC gets hot as balls and is hotter than any car I have ever owned. That is because it has lots of insulation and sound deadener that retains all the heat.

Tint is legislated to protect our precious police officers that are perfect and always model citizens and responsible public servants. What about my protection?

On the other hand, most cops in this area don't care about tint. I don't know anyone personally that's been stopped for tint violation.

Idk...I've never liked tint laws. Then again, I don't prefer extremely dark tint, but I don't think it should be legislated. And windshields should be allowed to have a certain level of tint. That window I have no problem with imposing a limit because at some point its going to hinder your ability to see to the full extent of your vision.

Freshnicity
03-26-2009, 07:57 PM
Man im done with this state.

How stupid can some people be.

Im moving out of CA for sure now.

Cavanagh
03-26-2009, 08:34 PM
Better crush my dads C280! He lives in California. That state is a fucking joke.

Kastigir
03-26-2009, 09:09 PM
This has to be a joke.

Shadowlife25
03-26-2009, 10:37 PM
Even if they're serious, it will not happen. Automakers will see to that. If we put EV tech on the back burner for like 20 years, I don't see this being an issue any time soon.
That and the fact that people will use the AC on hot days regardless of cabin temp. How do they plan to regulate that? They already made it illegal to use R12 refrigerant and made us all switch over to that R134 crap. Unless they plan to make AC in vehicles an "Ultra Luxury" item and tax the hell out of it, their plan is full of fail and will never see the books.

Murgatroy
03-26-2009, 10:38 PM
Pussies, roll down your windows.

:hehe:

Shadowlife25
03-26-2009, 10:39 PM
^^ WORD. I haven't had working AC for more than 2 months at a time, and those 2 were always in the winter! lol

tuner4life
03-26-2009, 11:00 PM
Fuck CARB! Makes me want to go burn tires and blow up old aerosol cans.

Trance4c
03-26-2009, 11:15 PM
Don't believe everything you read guys.

joe's gt
03-27-2009, 01:27 AM
sorry, but there is no way this is happening. The amount of time and money spent fighting this in court will negate any positive effects it could have ( which are zero anyway, lol). This is a joke, and California is a joke (emissions wise).

wizzards581
03-27-2009, 01:42 AM
wat about black people? j/k...

Fox 21 Alpha
03-27-2009, 02:52 AM
Actually tint kinda is more to protect you, as if you roll up on a car with dark tint, makes you more suspicious and aggressive (read:quick on the draw).

I really see both sides to it though, I like the law keeping it from keeping it too dark, because it really is just too dangerous for LE and driving, and even normal citizens (Ever have some asshole cut you off with hella dark tint?), but on the other hand it is a very nice feature. Middle ground anyone?

And banning black paint, just uh......wow, like all the shit going on right now this is what they come up with?

Ryan
03-27-2009, 02:56 AM
Fuck CARB! Makes me want to go burn tires and blow up old aerosol cans.

Didnt you do that last saturday???? LMAO

celicaGT90_05
03-27-2009, 03:47 AM
Yet another reason why I'll be damned if I ever live in Cali. Instead of focusing on the paint, why not just make a clear coat that reflects so that the paint cant absorb? Would make sense to me

andy
03-27-2009, 04:57 AM
soon they will kick all the black ppl out for being to dark! goodness!

Galcobar
03-27-2009, 10:32 AM
Yet another reason why I'll be damned if I ever live in Cali. Instead of focusing on the paint, why not just make a clear coat that reflects so that the paint cant absorb? Would make sense to me

It doesn't do a good job of reflecting light when it's clear -- for reference, look at your windows (certain combinations of angles notwithstanding).

The problem is that a very shiny black car, which is fairly reflective, will still absorb a great deal more heat than a light-coloured car; the lighter the car, the more light is reflected than absorbed.

The concept is entirely valid; the execution is highly unlikely. And if it does go through, cars will be grandfathered in. Here's a stumbling block; black cars without AC.

tuner4life
03-27-2009, 12:32 PM
Didnt you do that last saturday???? LMAO

maybe... :wiggle:

extremeskillz
03-27-2009, 01:24 PM
Im never going to CA! Golden state my ass!

tuner4life
03-27-2009, 03:43 PM
The shame of it is that if you can get over the laws and millions of absolutely stupid people, Cali is actually one of the most beautiful places in the country scenery/landscape/weather wise.

hobbie2k
03-27-2009, 04:03 PM
Black cars are usually ugly, anyway.

While I think there are better ways of reducing A/C use (tint, cooled seats, parking fans), eliminating a couple color options is probably the easiest and cheapest way of having an effect. You could always just get the car repainted...

And if you don't believe that CARB ever works, look at a picture of LA from the 1970s, then look at one from today.

celicaGT90_05
03-27-2009, 06:05 PM
It doesn't do a good job of reflecting light when it's clear -- for reference, look at your windows (certain combinations of angles notwithstanding).

Sun screen reflects, and some times its not that white crap, some times it's clear stuff or will become clear appearing when put on. Why cant the same type of thing be made into clear coat? That's what Im saying, they aren't taking this as a possibility

wizzards581
03-28-2009, 12:34 AM
And if you don't believe that CARB ever works, look at a picture of LA from the 1970s, then look at one from today.

yea... especially where all the drifting competitions are held at... LA area. wats the point. :USA:

joe's gt
03-28-2009, 12:50 AM
Black cars are usually ugly, anyway.

Have you seen Lagos' car? Look at his and tell me black cars are ugly. I don't think black cars are ugly. I don't think mine looks bad. They do absorb a crapload of heat tho. My interior gets ridiculously hot during the summer.

poprock5sfe
03-28-2009, 05:18 PM
wat about black people? j/k...
hell yeah ....jk my best friends is black....but cant we just take the ac out?? who need them any way...well maybe a girl you are driving around.I am glad i live in ohio.

VikingJZ
03-30-2009, 04:43 AM
It appears they pulled a juss keedang on that.

There's an article on AutoBlog about it.

Instead they're looking into solar reflective glass, which could add $30-$50 to the price of a NEW car.

wizzards581
03-31-2009, 01:51 AM
ITS NOT A JOKE. i saw it on the news... *shocking* CARB is still looking into this... black on black is sick... i dont care how hot it is...

http://www.kcra.com/automotive/19032855/detail.html

"The state said consumers should be aware that when it comes to car colors, choosing the right color does make a difference. For example, buying a white car instead of a black car saves about 2 to 3 miles per gallon."

:laugh:

tuner4life
03-31-2009, 01:38 PM
From now on I'm painting all my cars black.

J/k, but seriously..