PDA

View Full Version : so i got bored and pulled one of my spark plugs today....

a_mounty
03-24-2009, 11:03 PM
and by the looks of it the car runs pretty good but does in fact need new plugs. ya they look like they got a tiny bit hot but nothing major...

so guys what plug would you recommend that will give me decent life, milage and power?
im not a fan of delco's since they apparently they dont like rev'ing above 5k who knew? :shrug:

but ya let me know what you guys think.

http://i350.photobucket.com/albums/q431/a_mounty/IMG_1524.jpg

http://i350.photobucket.com/albums/q431/a_mounty/IMG_1526.jpg

http://i350.photobucket.com/albums/q431/a_mounty/IMG_1527.jpg

http://i350.photobucket.com/albums/q431/a_mounty/IMG_1528.jpg

grayscale
03-24-2009, 11:21 PM
Ew nasty. I did a little run down on plugs in this forum before. One of the major points is that to get a good spark you need to have sharp edges- yours are quite a bit overdue. Sharp edges is the reason iridium plugs are popular- the metals used in them are extremely hard and hold their edges longer than anything else, therefore you will get the most mileage out of them. I recommend NGK iridiums. If you don't like the price on iridiums, the only other plug I ever recommend, or use for that matter, are NGK V-Powers.

a_mounty
03-24-2009, 11:24 PM
ok i wasnt sure if that had been covered before or not
yes i know mine are pretty much shot......
i mean i bought the car for 300 fixed up the body work then threw in a quart of oil and went about my business.... yes it has been neglected and now im working on fixing that.
she needs to hold out till i get money for another beater so i can boost her :evilsmiley:

celica9303
03-24-2009, 11:27 PM
Ngk platinum. Is what is sopose to be in it. I use the iridum ngk plugs
You have my number txt me if ya want. By the wway do you still have that bike?

a_mounty
what about some E3's?
i had put them in my ranger right before i sold it so i couldnt really notice too much

has anyone used them before?

a_mounty
ya still got the bike
but still no title lol

grayscale
03-25-2009, 12:19 AM
what about some E3's?
i had put them in my ranger right before i sold it so i couldnt really notice too much

has anyone used them before?
Garbage. All those extra side electrodes actually block the kernel from the flame front. Same with those Bosch 3 and 4 garbage.

Luni
03-25-2009, 12:43 AM
Youre detonating sir. Speckled plugs with material on the insulator missing like yours are is a telltale sign of detonation. This starts to happen later on in the plugs life as there isnt sufficient spark to ignite the mixture when its SUPPOSED to and it ends up autoigniting the rest of the cycle from heat/compression.

See, your ignition timing is set to 10 degrees BEFORE TOP DEAD CENTER. So the plug fires then. The piston isnt done compressing the fuel by the time it fires, if your spark isnt as strong as it should, your flame front is weaker, and parts of the mixture will autoignite when they hit a heat spot or just from the compression itself cause the air is so hot. When it does that it burns unevenly and CAN cause detonation.

As youre told, you should just replace those with some Iridiums. Theyre worth every penny. In an NA car, you should easily get 100k out of a set.

I got 35k out of my last set of Iridiums in my MR2, I was running 17 PSI for the majority of their life, and I only replaced them cause I wanted to, not cause I needed to.

You should find, after seeing your plugs like that, a good set of plugs will make you run better, smoother, and maybe even make more power than youve been used to.

grayscale
03-25-2009, 12:49 AM
Probably the wrong heat index.

CriScO
03-25-2009, 04:54 AM
Ew nasty. I did a little run down on plugs in this forum before. One of the major points is that to get a good spark you need to have sharp edges- yours are quite a bit overdue. Sharp edges is the reason iridium plugs are popular- the metals used in them are extremely hard and hold their edges longer than anything else, therefore you will get the most mileage out of them. I recommend NGK iridiums. If you don't like the price on iridiums, the only other plug I ever recommend, or use for that matter, are NGK V-Powers.
^ We have a winner. NGK G-Power platinum is good too, though. Life will be much longer than copper but less than iridium. Just a third option.

And I don't know what you guys are saying, they're definitely overdue, but to me those plugs are freaking clean! :hehe:

joe's gt
03-25-2009, 05:24 AM
Those plugs do not look normal to me. I totally agree with luni about the detonation thing. You can see the black specs and the damage to the plastic.
I was thinking about detonation, but with it being an NA car I wanted someone else with more knowledge about it to say something so I didn't give false information.

85gtsblackman
03-25-2009, 05:58 AM
my plugs that were in the rolla looked like that

oh well owned by an old man that used it as a beater

id suggest a full tune up with injector flush, replace o2 sensor, check air filter and go with the ngk g grove if you dont want to pay for irdiums (i noticed a diffence in them vs the v grove in my 22re) also a new fuel filter wont hurt

this is all what i reccomend for neglected car, i havnt done all of this yet to the rolla cause it gets 38mpg highway as is.

a_mounty
03-25-2009, 01:46 PM
ya i do know it has some detonation in the lower rpms becuase the way my father drives it.
for some reason he cannot drive this car efficiently
he will either slip the clutch or damn near stall it.

pisses me off but oh well.
car gets 32 mpg highway as is.
what got me thinking about it is the fact that i got beat by 3 cars that i shouldnt have. i know it needs an air filter too.

this thing should really be a whole different beast with a tune up lol

andy
03-25-2009, 05:28 PM
ngk ftw, the only plug i use.

85gtsblackman
03-26-2009, 05:37 AM
usally you can find ngk wires for the 2nd gen 5s pretty cheap

just go get the cap and rotor from the dealer or get a gp sorenson or beck arnly one from a parts store. napa stuff is good too but pricey

DudeMan
04-26-2009, 06:25 PM
I normally use NGK platinum's as recommended. I've been trying to find the colder BRK7E coppers but I can't find them anywhere. Tried several stores, explaining they weren't the exact plugs for my car but should be okay and nothing. The platinum's are BRK6GE or something so I tried looking for BRK7GE instead but I still had no luck.

I ended up getting 'champion' coppers, I'd rather get NGK coppers but these BRK7E's are impossible to find for me.

joe's gt
04-27-2009, 07:25 AM
^^ yeah. Got to order them in my local parts stores. They only carry the 6s, but with stock boost they work fine for me.

KoreanJoey
04-27-2009, 10:39 AM
I normally use NGK platinum's as recommended. I've been trying to find the colder BRK7E coppers but I can't find them anywhere. Tried several stores, explaining they weren't the exact plugs for my car but should be okay and nothing. The platinum's are BRK6GE or something so I tried looking for BRK7GE instead but I still had no luck.

I ended up getting 'champion' coppers, I'd rather get NGK coppers but these BRK7E's are impossible to find for me.

Ebay? Google?

I would NEVER run champion plugs... last I've heard of someone using them was a buddy put them in his corolla and the friggin tip somehow broke off...

Yeah, no thanks.