PDA

View Full Version : powdercoat wiper arms

acidice333
03-24-2009, 06:26 AM
anybody ever powder coat their wiper arms? i'm thinking of doing it but just wanted to see if anybody has done it before. do i have to remove the spring and all that?

KoreanJoey
03-24-2009, 06:29 AM
I just rattle canned mine... but then again, I've rattle canned most of the car... AND it looks like ass.

METDeath
03-24-2009, 12:43 PM
Mine are rusted in places, so I'm probably going to replace the entire assembly with new ones at some point.

Colossus20v
03-24-2009, 06:46 PM
I'm going to spray mine in the next week or two. I dont think you will need to remove the spring or anything. Just sand it all down and be carefull how much you spray near the spring.

grayscale
03-25-2009, 12:25 AM
Are you going to take them some where to have them done? I would def remove the spring for powder coat otherwise the first time you extend the spring it either won't work right or all the powder coat will crack off.

H8PVMNT
03-25-2009, 12:39 AM
Krylon semi-flat black is what I would use on something like wiper blades. I use it on tube bumpers and roll cages for 4WDs. It lays down really nice and looks good for years. I think powder coating on wiper blades would be a complete waste of money unless you have the resources to do it yourself...

Kind of like getting gold filligree on you shift knob, although that would be kind of pimp now that I think about it. :)

acidice333
03-25-2009, 01:23 AM
My problem isnt the spring but the arm that tilts.. it scratches off some paint... so I was thinking powder coating them instead of painting them again.

I've done it to both my cars, and well either it scratches off from the arm tilting or around the hinge area it starts to show rust.

Carolina91GT-S
03-25-2009, 01:32 AM
I powder coated my wiper arms about a month ago. I sand blasted them first and then powder coated them flat black. They look much better than the other pair which I did with black spray can stuff. The toughest thing with this is that they are such a strange shape that getting powder into all of the deep spots is very difficult. There was quite a bit of deflection from the corona effect as the edges of the piece charged. I will be stripping the ones that I recently spray painted and powder coating them as well and just going a little heavier with the powder than I id with the first set. Spring doesn't seem to be much of an issue, I went outside and flexed it back and forth a few times, the powder seems fine but I do see a few rusty spots deep in the crevices where I had a hard time getting to with the powder.

bottom line is that I will powder coat the other set and probably junior's too. There is no comparison to the end result. but I think that powder coating just beats the hell out of paint anyway.

grayscale
03-25-2009, 01:54 AM
^Do you do this for a living? I might have some business to throw your way...

acidice333
03-25-2009, 01:57 AM
There is like a rubber? piece on the arm, did you have to remove that?

Carolina91GT-S
03-25-2009, 02:17 AM
I removed the rubber piece but it was so old and brittle that it was damaged getting it off. I am running without them at the moment until I can figure out a suitable replacement. no big deal.

I don't do it for a living but I do it in my shop. The shop has most everything I need to make anything you can imagine. We started powder coating since we have 4 cars that we have in various stages of refurb and it just made sense. I love it. I am though entertaining the idea of offering the service to other car guys to help pay for shop neccessities etc. I could give you a decent deal on powder coating I suppose... make it worth while for both of us. What are you thinking?

grayscale
03-25-2009, 02:50 AM
What are you thinking?
How big can you bake? :laugh:

Grot
03-25-2009, 02:54 AM
i bet hes thinking PCing wheels

grayscale
03-25-2009, 03:04 AM
Nope, to heavy to make it worth the shipping. There's actually a powder coater here that's done work for me in the past, which is where I'd take wheels, but other lighter projects I would rather give to a member?

Carolina91GT-S
03-25-2009, 03:07 AM
I can do wheels, one at a time, but that is about the limit. Are you going to the dragon? I should be there, would save you half of the shipping.

grayscale
03-25-2009, 03:09 AM
Yes I am, but what would I drive home on? :eek:

Carolina91GT-S
03-25-2009, 03:09 AM
How big can you bake? :laugh:

half way...so that would make me half baked

Carolina91GT-S
03-25-2009, 03:16 AM
yeah, I guess needing wheels is a priority. But... it would save you shipping on your small item(s). If we moved this along at a good pace you could ship something small to me and I could PC it and give it to you at the dragon.

If you(or anyone else) are seriously interested, send me a PM and we can work out the details. Or we can do it in this, or another, thread so people know what is going on...I would prefer to do this kind of thing in big batches when the colors are the same anyway, at least do all of the sand blasting at once

acidice333
03-25-2009, 03:16 AM
Whatcha reckon on price for doing my wiper arms? They are a blue color right now, so I'm hoping to match it. My local shop couldn't give me a quote, but gave me a "minimum" $10.

Carolina91GT-S
03-25-2009, 03:35 AM
probably $25 for the wiper arms to sand blast and PC them. + shipping

which from Canada wouldn't be cheap.

grayscale
03-25-2009, 03:44 AM
You should open a thread in the For Sale forum and see what kind of interest you get.

Carolina91GT-S
03-25-2009, 03:49 AM
I was wondering where would be the most appropriate place to put a thread a like that. anyway spread the word and pm me

Carolina91GT-S
03-28-2009, 03:35 PM
Thread started in the "others for sale" section

powder coating servcies (http://www.celicatech.com/forums/showthread.php?p=30008151#post30008151)