PDA

View Full Version : Tata Nano *worlds cheapest car*

wizzards581
03-24-2009, 04:04 AM
http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/29824634/?GT1=43001

if they have a 3dr hatch back, depending on power, warranty, i might budget for one... and do a 6 yr payment :wink:

they are looking into business w/ european and north american markets.

http://www.iwebie.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/02/tata_nano_1.jpg

http://www.redlineblog.com/autos/wp-content/uploads/2008/01/tata-nano-luxury-2.jpg

geebes
03-24-2009, 04:10 AM
And it looks cool too!

Murgatroy
03-24-2009, 04:17 AM
There are fraught with issues though.

I don't know about the car, as it has yet to be sold to the public, but they are being plagued with production issues and problems hitting their promised quantity goals.

brak
03-24-2009, 07:50 AM
with a name like "tata" somebody should paint some :boobies: on the front

Shadowlife25
03-24-2009, 08:36 AM
That pretty much looks the same as the SMART car. Damn tiny ass deathtrap if you ask me. Fail.

brak
03-24-2009, 09:01 AM
That pretty much looks the same as the SMART car. Damn tiny ass deathtrap if you ask me. Fail.

Smart car:
the car's so smart, you look retarded :lolhittin

NDMstang65
03-24-2009, 02:18 PM
soooo

what happens when it gets hit by anything larger than a kia?

screwwwwwww that noise :)

celicaGT90_05
03-24-2009, 03:04 PM

Except the smart car is perfectly safe, not so sure about this one, and with a price tag of $2000...well...who knows?

Size really doesnt indicate safety though to be honest, thats been proven. Older bulkier cars with very ridged structures tend to be more dangerous than the smaller modern cars.

grayscale
03-24-2009, 03:25 PM
Same company that owns Jaguar now. :laugh:

Murgatroy
03-24-2009, 04:49 PM
And Rover.

The $2000 model is the base, it is sparse on safety features.

Plans call for a more expensive model with all required safety features for sale in other markets.

This car is targeted at folks moving up from motorcycles in lesser developed countries on the move up.

When you have to share the road with lots of rickshaws, motorcycles and very few other cars which are of comparable size (full size cars such as Chevrolets account for less than 5% of the automotive makeup in India) safety shouldn't be as much of an issue as it would be here, where we share the roads with nondriving, cellphone implanted, caffeinated soccer moms who can't see over the steering wheel of their H2.

extremeskillz
03-24-2009, 05:35 PM
^True!

zmile06
03-24-2009, 05:57 PM
I like the idea of an affordable car, the company has the right "idea". The execution of the car is going to be a nightmare. 3 doors is a bad idea. The design is meek at best. They can afford some style with a cheap car.

burnyd
03-24-2009, 05:58 PM
And it looks cool too!

kill yourself

Chris
03-24-2009, 06:29 PM
kill yourself

Drive one in any major city and he might as well.

I was almost plowed into by wanna-be ninja, lane changing no turn signal fucktard today in a huge Ford/Chevy/Piece of shit American company SUV. That would have totaled the Celica had he hit me, but I would have survived. And people have a hard enough time seeing the Celica.

In a Smart car or anything like it? Fuck that. That's taking my life into my own hands. Same reason I'll never own a motorcycle/moped and drive it in a large city.

Murgatroy
03-24-2009, 06:33 PM
Drive one in any major city and he might as well...

...In a Smart car or anything like it? Fuck that. That's taking my life into my own hands. Same reason I'll never own a motorcycle/moped and drive it in a large city.
Life is not any fun if you live it wondering 'what if' and being scared of everything. ;)

Fuel efficiency is the future. Motorcycle and Smart cars are not only 'smart,' they make a lot of sense.

Granted, it is going to take a while before the American Way of Life catches on to this if ever, but while I am spending 60% less on fuel costs a year than everyone else, it isn't gonna bother me.

I would not hesitate to buy a Nano.

Chris
03-24-2009, 06:40 PM
Life is not any fun if you live it wondering 'what if' and being scared of everything. ;)

Fuel efficiency is the future. Motorcycle and Smart cars are not only 'smart,' they make a lot of sense.

Granted, it is going to take a while before the American Way of Life catches on to this if ever, but while I am spending 60% less on fuel costs a year than everyone else, it isn't gonna bother me.

I would not hesitate to buy a Nano.

When I was living in Arkansas City, a small town of 12,000 it was a "what if," murg. "What ifs" I can live with. But, here in Wichita? I've seen bikers get plowed into by people that were too busy being a fucktard to pay attention. I've almost been merged into, plowed into, or run over too many times to consider it a "what if" anymore.

I'm all for fuel efficiency, God knows this country needs it, but not at such a severe cost to safety. And half the issue with these smaller cars vs SUVs aren't just the safety features (though I've read good things about the Smart cars). It's that many people in larger vehicles don't look for you, and won't see you until it's way too late. It's the same reasoning as to why I always drive with my headlights on.

Murgatroy
03-24-2009, 06:46 PM
That is why you should always be aware and drive defensively.

It doesn't matter to me if you see me or not, I see you.

Lonestag
03-24-2009, 07:24 PM
I could die a lot of stupid ways. I'll take my chances with small vehicles.
Big cars just arn't the same.

balang_479
03-24-2009, 07:46 PM
Are those 1 inch wheels?

Shadowlife25
03-24-2009, 07:50 PM
I stand by my initial assessment: That thing is uber tiny and has likely not been crash-tested nor has any modern safety features. No.

Size does matter. If they can't see you coming/going, it could well be your ass. If they do and keep on, you better hope the fugging airbags work and that the structural supports are up to par.

wizzards581
03-24-2009, 08:22 PM
the car did pass crash test...

for safety, put a fart can on so other big car will know theres another car around them.

grayscale
03-24-2009, 08:51 PM
I stand by my initial assessment: That thing is uber tiny and has likely not been crash-tested nor has any modern safety features. No.

True, I read in one report that seatbelts in it will be an option in some countries.
Though as Murg pointed, the one pictured above is not necessarily the model that will be available here.
But you will more likely see Chinese manufactured cars in the US before Tata. Three of them have been targeting American buyers hard- SAIC, Geely, and Chery- and are rumored to start selling here as early as 2011. Most of their base models start around $5k-$6k.

Chris
03-24-2009, 09:09 PM
That is why you should always be aware and drive defensively.

It doesn't matter to me if you see me or not, I see you.

Obviously, but defensive driving can't account for every situation. Today I had to brake for another car and this SUV came flying up behind me, almost clipping me. Defensive driving couldn't of done much in that situation.

VikingJZ
03-24-2009, 10:57 PM
I would even touch one until its been on the market for a few years.

I wouldn't want to buy one and have to deal with it being a total piece of shit from day one.

A small, inexpensive, Indian made car.

That whole sentence just says shit.

celicaGT90_05
03-25-2009, 01:24 AM
^ just like the focus, they were junk when they came out, but later ones overall are pretty nice

zmile06
03-25-2009, 02:05 AM
The mini cooper our tanked the f-150 in safety on a head on collision, just because there small doesn't mean there unsafe. Every car made new on the US has enough safety features that you should be able to buy any car without much worry.

If a car merged into me i would just buy a new car because it's usually dumb asses in suv's or trucks.

Shadowlife25
03-25-2009, 02:55 AM
So do you all actually mean to tell me that this $2000 car will have all the safety features that are mandated here in the USA and still come in at that price range? I think not.

Also, that vehicle has NOT been tested to US crash safety standards yet.

grayscale
03-25-2009, 03:01 AM
So do you all actually mean to tell me that this $2000 car will have all the safety features that are mandated here in the USA and still come in at that price range? I think not.
Troof. :inout:

Murgatroy
03-25-2009, 03:24 AM
I never said that.

I have actually researched the car.

It will be closer to the $5-6k range if it ever reaches our shore.

It comes with minimal safety features now, even seatbelts are an option. However they intend this as the base model only. A limited run of 100k units to start (they barely have the ability to turn out 50k a year in India as it is.)

They intend to add safety features to the car as it progresses to other markets.

I think it is realistic to assume that it will be available here, either this car, or one very very similar, in the middle of the next decade at a price so low it will scare the hell out of other automakers.

Blackcloud
03-25-2009, 09:48 PM
only 50k a year.

i could build that many of thoes little things in my garage in a year

ChrisD
03-26-2009, 09:49 PM
You could buy a new one w/ cash every 6 months and it'd still be cheaper than financing a new car. And at the end of every 6 months you could drive it off a cliff if you like and still save money.

haha.

ChrisD
03-26-2009, 09:50 PM
they should offer a build it yourself kit

:laugh:

Shadowlife25
03-26-2009, 10:41 PM
they should offer a build it yourself kit

:laugh:

At least then I'd be assured of quality control.