PDA

View Full Version : Weighted shift knob, almost free...

H8PVMNT
03-20-2009, 04:49 AM
http://www.celicatech.com/gallery/files/7/2/0/1/Knob3.JPG

Still a work in progress... I welded this up tonight out of an old 1 7/8" ball hitch I found laying in the dirt, two fine thread 1/2" nuts and a small peice of 5/8" tube. Blended it a bit with some bondo and painted it satin black. It weighs in at right around 14 ounces to compliment my short throw shifter.

I'm going to sew it up in black leather so it looks OEM and so my hand doesn't get frozen on our below zero Montana winter mornings. Should look pretty sweet when I'm done.

Shadowlife25
03-20-2009, 04:51 AM
Very ingenious idea there! I like it very much. :)

Ryan
03-20-2009, 04:52 AM
Dude, that is SWEET!!!! I like it a lot!!!

H8PVMNT
03-20-2009, 05:07 AM
My wife is really good with sewing leather and saddle stuff so once she gets it wrapped it should look really good. The weight is just perfect though and it shortens up the shifter an additional inch or so.

Best part is with the 5/8" tube sticking out the bottom the stock shift boot has something to hold it up instead of just getting squished by the short shifter and the stock knob. So it should look all copasetic and what-not...

Ryan
03-20-2009, 05:27 AM
You should make more... :hehe:

H8PVMNT
03-20-2009, 05:32 AM
You should make more... :hehe:

Want one?

Ryan
03-20-2009, 05:41 AM
For sure, but I dont have threads on my shifter...... I would need to use set screws or something.. unless I use a tap and die set to re-thread it.. idk.

H8PVMNT
03-20-2009, 05:50 AM
For sure, but I dont have threads on my shifter...... I would need to use set screws or something.. unless I use a tap and die set to re-thread it.. idk.

Figure out how big around the stick is... That didn't sound right! :laugh:

Measure the diameter of the stick and let me know and I'll dink around with it. I'll post pics of mine after it's wrapped in leather and on the car so you can see if it's worth a crap or not.

Ryan
03-20-2009, 06:01 AM
its the stock shifter. I cut it down about 3 inches or so.. right before the curve.

Shadowlife25
03-20-2009, 06:31 AM
^^ same here, but I re-threaded mine. ;)

Grot
03-20-2009, 12:40 PM
if you can make a few of these, im sure there will be a huge market for them assuming you dont charge an arm and a leg for them.

H8PVMNT
03-20-2009, 03:42 PM
I'll try to get some stuff together and make a few as cheap as possible... I don't want to take anything away from our magnanimous sponsor who makes these though. Of course this one will not be nearly as trick as those.

I'll see what I can come up with!

:bigthumbu

H8PVMNT
03-21-2009, 02:30 AM
I drove with it a bit today. At first it was a bit short and I actually missed the leverage of the taller stock knob, so I put a little 5/8" tall plug in the knob threads to lift it a little and it was just right. It eases and smoothes out the short throw shifter feel a bit, which was the goal of the weighted shift knob, but I really miss the leather feel of the stock knob. I think once I get it wrapped in leather I'll be really happy with it. We picked up a little black leather today so maybe over the weekend I can get Kelly to sew it up for me with the leather awl.

I also took my short shifter apart and re-greased it today. While I had it apart I replaced the spring that centers the shifter with a new one. I bought 5 from Toyota last year just to have on hand. I've seen alot of Celicas with what I call falicky shifter syndrome... where the shifter is limp and doesn't find home any more because this spring gets worn out. My shifter spring wasn't terminal yet but replacing it really tightened up the feel of things.

Shadowlife25
03-21-2009, 03:37 AM
Good job man. :)

Ryan
03-21-2009, 04:12 AM
I cant wait to see what it looks like wrapped in leather. I think it will be a damn nice knob man.

You come up with some really sweet ideas man.

H8PVMNT
03-21-2009, 05:28 AM
I cant wait to see what it looks like wrapped in leather. I think it will be a damn nice knob man.

You come up with some really sweet ideas man.

Thanks fellas! It's no big deal... I just like to make my own crap whenever possible, it saves money and you get that experience of doing it yourself! We all need to get more dirt under our fingernails like the old school hot rod scene back in the good ol' days. Too many bolt ons available these days. Everybody needs a welder, welding is so cool. You can add material as easily as you can take it away.

I'll be sure to post pics as soon as the leather is done.

H8PVMNT
03-25-2009, 01:55 AM
My wife ordered some black waxed linen thread and an awl to sew up the leather on the knob today. She even found some OEM looking 1/4 inch outlined letter stamps so we can emboss GTS on the top of the knob. My wife is friggin' cool!

By the way the extra weight is really growing on me. Way smoother shift feel for sure!

a_mounty
03-25-2009, 02:24 AM
damn i was thinking about how to make my own short throw and a diff knob. i would have never thought to use a trailer ball lol
im gonna investigate this

hope the leather turns out good

H8PVMNT
03-25-2009, 04:48 AM
damn i was thinking about how to make my own short throw and a diff knob. i would have never thought to use a trailer ball lol
im gonna investigate this

hope the leather turns out good

This ball was one of the ones that pins onto a big stud that bolts to the hitch/bumper so it was hollowed out on the bottom. Made it really easy to weld the nuts in there. You could probably use a regular ball just as easy if you chop sawed the flare at the bottom off and welded a nut to it.