PDA

View Full Version : so i've been doing prep work to ready my car for paint...

zmile06
03-19-2009, 10:21 AM
All i can say the people who charge you 2,000 to paint your car deserve it... My celica needs some "moderate" body work, due to wear and tear of it's age. And I've been helping wet sand, and prep the car. It's a very tedious and labor intensive process. No where near what i was expecting. I'll post up pics of the car when it's done.

joe's gt
03-19-2009, 07:30 PM
lol. Yes it is. You can see some pics of my primed hood and truck on my profile. Just make sure you don't rush on anything, cuz it will only turn out as good as the prep work.

Are you stripping to the metal or just wet sanding the existing paint?

MCcelica
03-20-2009, 05:22 AM
I can also vouch for this. I'll start another thread of my own with pics though. But it's gonna be friggin awesome.

zmile06
03-21-2009, 08:49 AM
lol. Yes it is. You can see some pics of my primed hood and truck on my profile. Just make sure you don't rush on anything, cuz it will only turn out as good as the prep work.

Are you stripping to the metal or just wet sanding the existing paint?
The car needs a LOT of body work, the quarter panels have been sanded down and metal placed over the rusty areas and bondoed primerd. There is also a decent dent on the black curve part going under the car on the passenger side. That is going to need bondoed, hopefully that's all it will need.

then 3-4 small dents around the body...

The front bumper was taken down to the rubbery part. As for the rest of the car it won't be taken down to metal unless there is body work needed. It hasn't had an all over paint job before, it has had shitty body work done to the fender from what i can tell. And some shitty clear coat, which wet sanding will take the clear off easy.

Hopefully the car will be done in a week or two, i'm not rushing it really. But i'm trying to get it done ASAP because primer doesn't like sun and cold.

Jason Durling
03-21-2009, 10:53 AM
It is nice to hear someone realize that about bodywork. Most people think it just magically happens. Joe's gt is right about not rushing it, what is under the paint is just
as important as the paint job itself. This is what I do for a living so I know all about things being tedious. http://jtdurling.googlepages.com/
Good luck bro and please post pics.

zmile06
03-22-2009, 09:16 AM
It is nice to hear someone realize that about bodywork. Most people think it just magically happens. Joe's gt is right about not rushing it, what is under the paint is just
as important as the paint job itself. This is what I do for a living so I know all about things being tedious. http://jtdurling.googlepages.com/
Good luck bro and please post pics.
Yeah, i painted houses for over a year, and refinished wood decks, and i can personally tell you BODY WORK on a car is by far much harder.

I just got the rear filler panel and rear bumper thrown on, with some spray on the seams, and primer on the middle of it. And it already looks 100 times better. The trunk lid had primer on it and some body filler.

Now the complicated part is i bought a 3 piece wing trunk lid, but the wing doesn't match up AT ALL to the mounting holes on my car body. So i have to get the holes welded in, and the hole where the antenna is. Probable just 25 bucks or so. Then get that smoothed out with some bondo. And a aftermarket antenna will most likely go in there, so relocating the antenna also ehhh..

My uncle is doing most the body work, but he's having me do the grunt work, scotch bright, wet sanding... Fun times!

I'll post up pics of the rear here soon.

partyball
03-22-2009, 10:18 PM
Nothing compares to body work lol. Im prepping a bodykit right now and even that is ridiculous. Post some pics up. I always love seeing other ppls work and progress.