PDA

View Full Version : "Afterburner" tail lights

KM
03-15-2009, 07:41 PM
http://www.quadconversions.com/toyota_Celica/toyota_celica_afterburner_rear_lights.htm

Geez, these are bad-ass.
I mean, you know, other than the $500+shipping price tag, and the fact that they're for Gen6s.

I think on my next trip to Pull-a-part, I'll grab the lights off another Gen5 and fiberglass something like this for my car.

Grot
03-15-2009, 07:46 PM
decent looking, but not my kind of thing

METDeath
03-15-2009, 08:29 PM
I'm more interested in the Neeltec qwad headlights for the 5th gen... but they run 1k USD after shipping and such, and aren't in production any more...

KM
03-15-2009, 11:04 PM
Casting some dual headlights would be similar to those afterburners, so I might as well look into those as well, then.

I've been doing custom enclosures for about 3 years.
I've cast light fixtures before, just never on a car.

KM
03-15-2009, 11:57 PM
I knew I shouldn't have thrown out my dead headlights. Now I gotta use my new ones as a base mould. pahah

Shadowlife25
03-16-2009, 01:56 AM
lol.

Those tail lamps do look really nice. Let me know if I can help in any way.

METDeath
03-16-2009, 02:38 AM
I think the hardest part is going to be the whole what bulbs/housings to use, and making an adapter harness for the H4 plug into whatever plugs you run on the new setup... Which a low beam HID projector and a high beam halogen set up would be pretty awesome... but that's just me.

KM
03-16-2009, 02:57 AM
There's obviously a big difference between the design of Gen5 and Gen6 taillights, so I've got to think about how it'll work.

The aesthetics are the easy part. 3 bulbs aren't hard to cast. ;)
I guess I'll go up to the auto parts store and take a look at the bulbs.

But I think this would look pretty neat on a Gen5.

KM
03-16-2009, 03:33 AM
Most likely, I'll be using German diamond ballast housings and Xenark HID bulbs.
The real problem is deciding if I want both the highs and lows as these bulbs... Sylvania recently came out with them, and they're reaaaal bright.

Or I could just use some sealed Par-56s.

Halogen XtraVision™ Headlights: Three times brighter! Twice the Life! Halogen XtraVision Headlights provide three times more light on the road in low beam mode than standard halogen headlights. They last twice as long as standard halogens – 850 hours compared to 320 hours.
Life at 14 volts.

Does anyone on here even have these headlights? Are they sealed or in housing?

Galcobar
03-16-2009, 05:10 AM
XtraVision aren't new -- I've got a set on my car that's almost ten years old.

The Sylvania XtraVision can be had in seal-beams, which I expect is the ad you've quoted since the Sylvania XV has a lens which is something of a hybrid of E-code and DOT. However, the bulb is also sold, as the Sylvania XV or as the Osram Super. It's a high-efficiency H4, meaning it produces 30% more lumens than a standard bulb of the same design.

They're brighter than standard, but not spectacularly. If you want to push it, try ultra high efficiency bulbs (50% lumens, but 150 hour life) or the latest variants which are 90% above standard, though I don't know what their lifespan is like.

KM
03-16-2009, 06:44 PM
XtraVision isn't. Xenark is.
Fairly new, atleast.
They're the HID lights.