PDA

View Full Version : Piggyback question

METDeath
03-14-2009, 12:27 PM
So, as I understand it, our cars run rich stock. Would a piggy back be a good way to lean them out to 14.7 goodness?

I'd be doing this on a rev 1, so no knock sensor. I'm just curious about the matter, I'd like to see if I could enhance performance (for all of maybe 3whp) of the car with just a piggy back.

If so, any fuel and timing adjusting piggy backs recommended? I looked at the Perfect Power SMT6, seems like the way to go on a budget.

Shadowlife25
03-14-2009, 12:41 PM
How much does that run? If it's in the $500-600 range I'd recommend the MAPECU2.

If less, the SAFC2 is a decent option that some of our members have experience tuning with. They can be found rather cheaply on e-bay all the time for about $100-120.

grayscale
03-14-2009, 02:23 PM
The rev1 runs a tad richer than the rev2, but still it really only is significant at wot.
SMT6 is a bit pricey for the little you'll get out of it, but it does do it all. You might squeeze a spot more out of it than you would an safc or emanage, but those two would also net you about the same results and be much easier on the wallet. There is also the emanage ultimate to consider in that higher price range.

MrTurrari
03-15-2009, 05:38 PM
So, as I understand it, our cars run rich stock. Would a piggy back be a good way to lean them out to 14.7 goodness?
You don't want to go that lean at WOT which is the part a piggyback will change. That could damage a stock motor under load going that lean. Try keeping in the 12:1-13:1 range.

I'd be doing this on a rev 1, so no knock sensor. I'm just curious about the matter, I'd like to see if I could enhance performance (for all of maybe 3whp) of the car with just a piggy back.
You could probably get at least that playing with fuel and timing but unless you do it on a dyno you aren't going to be able to really tell when you are making positive changes. A piggyback is a good investment though especially when you use it to retune for your other mods.

How much does that run?The SMT6 is on sale this month for $400 and it's only a little more then that normally. You will need a laptop with a serial port and a wideband to tune it yourself.

v8killer
03-16-2009, 01:32 AM
oh hey will the map2ecu advance timing too or no?

Shadowlife25
03-16-2009, 01:45 AM
i believe so.

v8killer
03-16-2009, 03:26 AM
f'n sweet this might change my plans

Shadowlife25
03-16-2009, 05:55 AM
Go check out their website. MAPECU2.