PDA

View Full Version : automatic to 5speed swap questions.

pocketcelica
03-13-2009, 11:27 PM
being as this is one of my first posts on here im hoping this is the right place to ask,if not mods please move to correct forum,thanks.

i currently own a 2000 celica gt with the automatic trans,im wondering if its possible to do a 5speed swap into my car,or if anyone has done it? id rather not go the route of selling mine and buying a already 5speed celica.

also how hard would fabbing up a custom turbo kit be?

thanks in advance.

grayscale
03-14-2009, 12:36 AM
Yes you can do the 5spd swap. How hard? Don't really know. Not sure anyone here has done it on a 7gC. Though I would say this- I've seen what used 7gC trans sell for and considering all the other parts you would need it might be quite a spendy thing to do. Might just be worth the time to buy one like you said.

Turbo kits abound for your car, very popular right now, easy to find.

METDeath
03-14-2009, 01:29 AM
^ x2.

The swap is easier on the older the cars where parts are cheaper and easier to find people parting out wrecked cars, or they're in junkyards, etc.

celica91gts
03-14-2009, 10:31 AM
there is a guy parting out a 7th gen right now in buying and selling i believe. it shouldn't be that hard but could be a challenge for those not familiar with hands on work. what i can tell you though is that when cars are made, production is fast therefore swapping parts should not be a huge issue.

pocketcelica
03-15-2009, 09:24 PM
I've considered buying another 7 gen, but i would rather get some time under my car for the sole reason that i don't do it often. A lot of my good friends are car "workaholics". I'm willing to pay a price for experience and the pride to be able to say i did that. On to the induction, i'm in a throwup between supercharging and turboing it. I prefer the supercharger the more i think about it... healthy buy or bust?

thanks again

celica91gts
03-15-2009, 10:28 PM
why do you prefer the supercharger? what are your goals?

Smaay
03-17-2009, 03:19 PM
dont do the swap. its too complicated on teh 7th gen. there is a ton of info on www.newcelica.org about it. just sell the car and get a manual