PDA

View Full Version : Stock Stainless steel exhaust?

H8PVMNT
03-12-2009, 03:59 AM
My '91 GT-S stock exhaust is starting to show through the snowbank it was buried in this winter (I put the shitty Monza on last summer) and some of the road scuz was washed off from the weather making it very shiny... I started scrubing on it a little ahd realized the entire exhaust system from the cat back is stainless steel! I always knew the ornamental dual tips were stainless but it really blew my mind that the muffler and piping were too...

Does anybody else have factory stainless steel exhaust on their Celica? Was this an option or standard GT-S and All-Trak fair?

airman0404
03-12-2009, 04:15 AM
Mine is stainless steel too. I think they all came with stainless for a standard exhaust. The flex pipe is the weakest part of the hole eaxhaust. The welds rot and break.

presure2
03-12-2009, 10:58 AM
yup, our exhausts are 409 stainless.

H8PVMNT
03-12-2009, 04:35 PM
It's a shame they weren't a bit bigger diameter. I'm thinking of cleaning it up and putting it back on anyway though. I go on a ton of long road trips and the rubbing Monza is getting on my nerves on 4 hour drives with no corners... I guess I'm getting old. I have to sneak up on peoples houses and take pictures for work too so quiet exhaust would be better for that.

I think I'll make a strait pipe with just a cherry bomb or a resonating tip to bolt on the tail section for rally cross day...

H8PVMNT
03-12-2009, 11:45 PM
Just put it back on... To tell the truth I don't see any difference in power compared to the 2.25" pacesetter. The pacesetter was rubbing hard in two places and the muffler was getting louder too. Not a good loud either just louder. I think I'll recycle it and use it on my '94 Toyota 4x4 when I do exhaust for the 3RZ swap.

grayscale
03-13-2009, 12:12 AM
I have to sneak up on peoples houses and take pictures for work too so quiet exhaust would be better for that.
:sneak:What do you do for a living?:sneak:

H8PVMNT
03-13-2009, 01:37 AM
I am a real estate appraiser so I have to take lots of photos of houses that have sold recently to use in my reports for comparable sales data. Sometimes some poor homeowner catches you taking the photo ot their house and they are like "Can I HELP you?!"... They probably think I'm either casing their house or I was hired to spy on them or kill them or something. :sneak:

I can't blame them but it's all part of my job so I just try not to get noticed at all.

grayscale
03-13-2009, 01:43 AM
:laugh: That's great, gotta love fun jobs!