PDA

View Full Version : What happened here?

eatdirt40
03-12-2009, 01:43 AM
My friend was low on coolant (light was on) so I filled it up with Prestone antifreeze (50/50) until it was full. The car is a Chevy cavalier. Ran great, normal temps, etc.. for about 2 weeks. Then yesterday while it was idling for about 5-10 minutes, the plastic reservoir blew a hole and spilled most of the coolant.

The reseviour said Orange type only, and I used Prestone green (Bottle says compatible with all colors), is the reservoir explosion related to what I did, or probably something else like a thermostat?

celica91gts
03-12-2009, 01:47 AM
the reservoir could not have blown from the coolant type. and it couldn't have been the pressure because if it got too full it would have just gone up and out the dump tube. maybe a rock cracked it open? also if you only added coolant to the radiator maybe the reservoir had only water and water can crack the reservoir if it gets cold enough.

andy
03-12-2009, 01:53 AM
My friends sisters malibu coolant tank cracked from being shitty , you can get a replacemnt from kragen or whatever for like 30 bucks. Had nothing to do with your coolent endevour.

5thgenkeeper
03-12-2009, 03:36 AM
My friend was low on coolant (light was on) so I filled it up with Prestone antifreeze (50/50) until it was full. The car is a Chevy cavalier. Ran great, normal temps, etc.. for about 2 weeks. Then yesterday while it was idling for about 5-10 minutes, the plastic reservoir blew a hole and spilled most of the coolant.

The reseviour said Orange type only, and I used Prestone green (Bottle says compatible with all colors), is the reservoir explosion related to what I did, or probably something else like a thermostat?

Those cars blow head gaskets like they were made of toilet paper, it was probably low on coolant because the HG was leaking.

VikingJZ
03-12-2009, 06:14 AM
This happened to a friend of mine in his Malibu.

Junk design and a semi-common problem.

I think it happened on our old Lumina too.

celicaGT90_05
03-12-2009, 06:48 AM
the orange crap is dexcool, and its just that...crap. It's suppose to be long life, however when exposed to oxygen it likes to form a brown goop which can gum up the system. Of course the stuff can work perfectly fine, but personally, I'd say flush the system out, refill and see what happens. Other than that, could be related to the thermostat or radiator cap. If it was idling at what sealed to be normal operating temp and boiled over, I'd suspect the cap is not maintaining proper system pressure

CriScO
03-12-2009, 06:54 AM
Yellow bottle Prestone "All Makes and Models" + Dex-Cool = Gel.

Flush the system, hope you get it all, and only use the Grey bottle Prestone labled "GM Dex-Cool Approved" when mixing with dex.

eatdirt40
03-12-2009, 05:21 PM
Yellow bottle Prestone "All Makes and Models" + Dex-Cool = Gel.

Flush the system, hope you get it all, and only use the Grey bottle Prestone labled "GM Dex-Cool Approved" when mixing with dex.

I have never heard of this, so do you think I am at fault?

Trance4c
03-12-2009, 05:46 PM
Yep, I think you mixed the coolants incorrectly.

You really should always try to stay with the same color coolant. Dex-Cool does not mix with regular Green phos based coolants.

Even though they say you can put Toyota Red into a car that previously had Green phos based coolant, I still say you should stay with the same coolant.

Even though they say you can put EngineIce Blue into a car that previously had Green phos based coolant, I still wouldn't.

I think you get the idea. Overall, the main cooling property of these liquids is that its liquid. Water is the best and the only reason coolant really is a product is because of its low freezing temperature properties over water. Down in the south where it doesn't freeze, there really is no major benefit over good Distilled water and water wetter.

So the only things that are different between the colored coolants specifically, is the chemical make up that helps determine its color, thats why I just stay with the rule of thumb - don't mix.

CriScO
03-12-2009, 09:09 PM
^ Good advice.

Main problem is that Dex-Cool is it's own beast. Standard green coolant as well as any long life coolant have very similar bases, and the Prestone will mix with any of them. Dex-Cool though, is the one that's really different. It won't mix with anything. Though I can't recall what it is, there's a chemical in Dex that gels when mixed with a chemical in other antifreeze.

There are a couple other exceptions, mostly involving special Diesel coolant, but that's the general rule. Important point here is that Dex won't mix with anything but water.

Grot
03-12-2009, 09:22 PM
yea, my dads buick had that nasty grey gel in the radiator when it blew a HG.