PDA

View Full Version : help cars down

celikris
03-17-2005, 09:27 PM
heres the problem.first on the way to work this morning my radio started to go on and off.got to work and at break i was in the car listening to the radio and didnt turn the car on well it started again(radio on and off).i tried to turn the car over and it wouldnt .i assumed i drained the battery.got a jump and car started up first try.it ran for about 1 minute and then my rpms dropped to 0 and up again.this continued for a couple secs then it shut off. couplek hopurs later tried to start the car and started first try (no jump) but motor did the same thing.think its an eletrical problem causing the fuel pump to not work. any advice would help out alot

Jigglypuff
03-17-2005, 09:29 PM
Have the alternator checked.

celikris
03-17-2005, 09:40 PM
would the alternator die real quick like that?

Jigglypuff
03-17-2005, 09:57 PM
I think your alternator may already be dead. What I'm thinking is that your battery has enough juice to crank your car every few hours. Since nothing is recharging the battery, the battery quickly drains, and everything dies. After a few hours, the battery will "recharge" itself (I don't know what really happens with the electrochemistry, but you'll have enough juice to start your car), and you'll be able to run again for a few minutes until the battery drains itself again.

Punisher
03-17-2005, 11:01 PM
That's quite the theory.. it could be true.. the radio takes nearly no juice tho unless you have a real ghetto audio setup.. In any event I believe it has something to do with ambient temp.. the battery slowly regains a small amount of charge.. also even running the engine on the battery with no alternator.. that doesn't take much energy at all..

Best deal is to take a multi-meter and check the voltage with the car running right at the alternators' output terminal. Or if your celi has the voltage meter gauge from the factory.. if that is lookin real low..

Dr.Auto
03-18-2005, 01:03 AM
That's quite the theory.. it could be true.. the radio takes nearly no juice tho unless you have a real ghetto audio setup.. In any event I believe it has something to do with ambient temp.. the battery slowly regains a small amount of charge.. also even running the engine on the battery with no alternator.. that doesn't take much energy at all..

Best deal is to take a multi-meter and check the voltage with the car running right at the alternators' output terminal. Or if your celi has the voltage meter gauge from the factory.. if that is lookin real low..

For somebody that bashes everyone else about there incompentance, you should re-read this statment and perform some research. Play with Ohms Law and study power draw charactoristics for certain circuits and what may be possible. Not what is normal. And find out what really gives a battery a residual charge.

Other than that :bowdown: good info and help. Your knowledge and sharing it is apriciated and helpfull. Keep up the good work.

Punisher
03-18-2005, 02:59 AM
I don't need to research it, it isn't my problem.. I just know it happens.. some how..

85gtsblackman
03-18-2005, 03:20 AM
take the battery and alt to autozone to get tested, its free

if u lived closer id do the tests for you