PDA

View Full Version : C-Tech Needs Your Input!

grayscale
03-07-2009, 05:39 PM
Everyday behind the scenes the admin team here at C-Tech is hard at work making decisions and changes to keep the site enjoyable and helpful to all it's members. From time to time we come across topics that have so many possible outcomes we can't decide which path to choose. This is where you come in- we need your honest input. The topic of our most recent discussion has been the Generational Forums. I'm sure many of you have noticed the lack of activity in those areas. Many ideas have been proposed on how to approach this problem but we just can't decide on one. So let us know what you think!
Should we-
1. Do away with the forums, archive all the info in them, and allow General Discussion to be used for all those types of threads.

2. Split them into two forums such as RWD and FWD or chassis codes T/A, and move them to the main page to make them more visible.

3. Leave them as they are but move them up front to the main page to be unhidden.

4. Leave them alone, it's no big deal.

Keep in mind, these are not the only options, just the ones we've come up with so far. I you have any more ideas, we are open to a fresh perspective!
And if you vote please feel free to take the time to tell us any thoughts you have.

Vote away!

H8PVMNT
03-07-2009, 05:46 PM
I don't think it's a big deal, but if you do anything the RWD / FWD thing sounds OK. There is a vast difference in tech and vehicle dynamics for those two platforms so it makes alot of sense. Everything else kind of crosses over.

andy
03-07-2009, 06:51 PM
i say consolidate them. fwd/rwd split

renegadex
03-07-2009, 08:05 PM
I vote yes on prop 2

k.beaty
03-07-2009, 10:20 PM
I like the FWD/RWD idea.

How about maybe FWD/RWD/AWD??? just a suggestion...

grayscale
03-07-2009, 10:23 PM
How about maybe FWD/RWD/AWD??? just a suggestion...
Sounds good, we can consider it.

lburner
03-07-2009, 10:38 PM
just move it to the main page i guess.

MCcelica
03-07-2009, 11:01 PM
I'd say actually make them FWD/AWD/RWD type deal AND put them on the front page. Then have the generational as subforums. That way when someone whom is not a member finds the site, they can drill it down like that. I mean, cause a lot of people just don't know how far back Celica's go, so they might be confused as to which "generation" they have. It'd be easier that way, so they don't have to go dig through the site and it's easier to figure out. That's my .02

93cc
03-07-2009, 11:31 PM
^ +1

RedRkt01
03-07-2009, 11:50 PM
I think the lack of visibility is the problem. I'm here everyday so I know they're here; Others seldom here may not. It is funny that this should come up.....I was about to ask what I'd have to do to become a Mod for the 4th Gen forum; The lack of activity there concerns me and I'd like to attract attention there.

GT4SOM
03-07-2009, 11:55 PM
I say do two cats. FWD & AWD / RWD. The AWD vehicles are similar to fwd.

RedRkt01
03-07-2009, 11:59 PM
Also.....there are so many 5th and 6th Gen guys here that lumping me and the rest of the 4th geners (no matter how few they are) via a FWD forum would basically cause us to be lost in the shuffle. 6th Geners already have 6gc.net and if you ask me 5th Gens are the predominant platform on alltrac.net. My platform has st162.net, but I'm sorry to say that it is dumpster compared the the other forums. That is why Celicatech.com is my home forum.

I strongly object to the dissolving of the 4th Gen subforum. I think that if it were more visible it would succeed......as would others.

Besides, in principle we already have a RWD forum....it's called the Classic Celica subforum. The proposed FWD is already divided into generational segments by 4th, 5th, 6th, and 7th Gens. And the proposed AWD forum.....wouldn't that be a restatement of Forced Induction?

Stick 'em up front.

Shadowlife25
03-08-2009, 12:07 AM
Thanks for the input Red. Your suggestions will be discussed.

RedRkt01
03-08-2009, 12:09 AM
Thanks for the input Red. Your suggestions will be discussed.

Thanks man.........I really appreciate it.

usp45
03-08-2009, 08:40 AM
I like the idea of the sub forums for each gen, but I must admit that I hardly ever look in them. I honestly forget about them.

Could you guys make it so that when we log in, we could pick a genarational forum, to get forwarded to automatically. I think I would use the 4th gen section alot more if I started my ctech shinanigans there, each visit...

I voted to keep em the same and have them on the main page.

me dos pesos.

usp45
03-08-2009, 08:44 AM
not that I want to segragate the community, I love ALL the celicas personally. Its just that us 4thgeners are supurior :P jk

ChewDogg
03-08-2009, 04:59 PM
is there a way to customize the webpage the way you want it to be seen? Almost like a skin, but if you had a 5th gen then that would be the main type of forum plus the rest that everyone else sees? Instead of seeing it divided it would be your preferred generation first buy you could still search the other but put them towards the bottom?

Futant3
03-09-2009, 03:13 AM
I think just moving the generational sub-forums to the front page would make a big difference on the visibility and in turn the level of activity. General discussion would become more "general", like it should be, especially with backing by the mods. While I think some of the other ideas presented have merit, this is probably the most easily implemented as well.

CriScO
03-09-2009, 05:35 AM
I think the lack of visibility is the problem. I'm here everyday so I know they're here; Others seldom here may not. It is funny that this should come up.....I was about to ask what I'd have to do to become a Mod for the 4th Gen forum; The lack of activity there concerns me and I'd like to attract attention there.
Calm down, I'm getting to it! :hehe:

Depending on the outcome of this I have been planning to revamp the section. For now we're just seeing what everyone thinks before any changes are made. If the section remains I'll be making some changes. Once we know I'll be happy to listen to any input you have on it.

VikingJZ
03-09-2009, 06:21 AM
Consolidate.

Some forums do so. Volvospeed.com has it set up that way, which is a pain with so many Volvos, but since this is Celica only it would make sense.

MCcelica
03-09-2009, 06:28 AM
Yeah, but volvo's are gay.

brak
03-09-2009, 08:51 AM
i agree with red...
moving the generational forums to the main page will help alot with visibility...

I was on here for a long while before i figured out how to get to the 5th gen forum without using search.

+1 Leave them as they are, move to main page.

brak
03-09-2009, 11:09 AM
forgot to mention:

in addition to moving the generational forums to the main page, i think the "general" forum should be enforced. i always see threads there that state 5th gen, or 6th gen, right in the title. obviously those aren't "general" If you're announcing your generation right in the title. those should be posted in the forum of the corresponding generation.

personally i don't see the need for a "general" forum, as anything that isn't generation specific would probably fall into one of the specialty forums like wheel/suspension, forced induction, etc...

if you want an example of a structured layout, checkout my truck club (http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/). if it can keep 49,919 members on the same page, it shouldn't be an issue here :)

RedRkt01
03-09-2009, 11:35 AM
Calm down, I'm getting to it! :hehe:

Depending on the outcome of this I have been planning to revamp the section. For now we're just seeing what everyone thinks before any changes are made. If the section remains I'll be making some changes. Once we know I'll be happy to listen to any input you have on it.

It's not a personal thing towards you, Chris.....just so you know.

Shadowlife25
03-09-2009, 12:08 PM
Keep the input coming guys. It is appreciated.

MCcelica
03-09-2009, 10:25 PM
Brak: The idea of the general forum is so in case I wanted to post about a wicked sick BMW, I can. Just as an example.

Shadowlife25
03-10-2009, 04:39 AM
^^ Exactly. General is for discussions not Celica related, but still vehicle related.

CriScO
03-10-2009, 07:16 AM
It's not a personal thing towards you, Chris.....just so you know.
Nah, I was just messing around, I knew it wasn't. Just wanted to make sure you know that no matter how things end up your input will be greatly appreciated.

brak
03-10-2009, 10:39 AM
Brak: The idea of the general forum is so in case I wanted to post about a wicked sick BMW, I can. Just as an example.

Yeah, but there's the "off topic" forum for that. :)

RedRkt01
03-10-2009, 01:47 PM
Nah, I was just messing around, I knew it wasn't. Just wanted to make sure you know that no matter how things end up your input will be greatly appreciated.

That's good. I just hope I can make a logical argument supporting my views.

RedRkt01
03-10-2009, 01:48 PM
Yeah, but there's the "off topic" forum for that. :)

I think OT should be used for non automotive talk.....as it currently is used.

Lonestag
03-10-2009, 03:30 PM
In a way, I kind of like the way the 4th through 6th gens are kind of mashed together in the general forums.

The 4th-6th gens have so much interchangable knowladge that anything I learn about a 6th gen has a good chance of helping me with a 4th gen, and visa versa.

Just my thoughts

Trance4c
03-10-2009, 05:16 PM
Keep the input coming guys. It is appreciated.

http://elizabrain.netfirms.com/j5.jpg
IIINNNNNNPUUUUTTTTTTT

RedRkt01
03-10-2009, 05:23 PM
that is awesome!

RedRkt01
03-11-2009, 02:33 AM
I strongly object to the dissolving of the 4th Gen subforum. I think that if it were more visible and had someone who gives a shit running it it would succeed......as would others.

It has been brought to my attention that this particular statement made by yours truely doesn't look so great. As I have reread it, I have come to the conclusion that it implies that those running the forum at large and the 4th Gen subforum in particular don't give a shit. The aforementioned statement is not a swipe at anyone or a group of people. Clearly the Admins and the Mods care enough to run this site; Otherwise they wouldn't be here and neither would I nor would any of the rest of us.

What I was really trying to convey was a message more about myself. As one can see from the amount of posts I have in this thread and my avid defense of the 4th Gen subforum I really, really, really give a shit.