PDA

View Full Version : Gen5 a/c mods?

KM
03-07-2009, 02:16 AM
I can't find it in the search, so I figured I'd ask:

Is it possible to switch from the manual cable A/C controls to the electronic control?

I've never been fond of the A/C controls that are in my car, and it was made even worse when I was painting my interior from the factory grey to black and broke the controls.
When I went to Pull-a-part, I saw the electronic control, and it looks much more sleek.

grayscale
03-07-2009, 02:32 AM
It is possible to switch over, though I don't know anyone who has, mainly because they have a lot of problems/are unreliable. Thus they were removed from the line up after 91.

What did you break on yours?

KM
03-07-2009, 03:05 AM
I broke the the temperature control
The plastic gear that they put into it snapped from the control when I was removing it from the dash, and I could never get it back and working right. It's turns, but doesn't do a whole lot.
Luckily, it broke on "HOT", which was very useful I was diagnosing and flushing my radiator. I don't use my A/C, so it's merely a cosmetic thing. You know GA weather as much as I do: it's almost always the perfect temperature and weather to drive with the windows down.

grayscale
03-07-2009, 03:28 AM
If you want the guts from another one let me know, I think I still have some from a previous experiment.

KM
03-07-2009, 03:46 AM
I was going to just pick one up at Pull-a-part when I go back up.
I enjoy going up there and just searching for things I may need.

There's a list of things I need/want before my car will run perfectly.
I'm still searching for the coveted All Trac hood. ;)

celica9303
03-07-2009, 04:21 AM
Electronic a/c as in the hvac controls that have the auto option? That's what I'm wondering about my self. I know the trac's got it but what would have to be done to put it in my gt?

KM
03-07-2009, 04:30 AM
Yeah, the controls. My GT's got the flimsy manual one, and it broke, so I'm wanting to switch.

I was going to do this just for me, but I figure since there's no writeup and it'll push me to actually do it, I'll figure out what all is needed.

Worst case scenario, I'll just be pulling the entire A/C system out of a car, but that'll probably be in a couple of weeks. I need to make sure I can get my car running again before I spend more money on aesthetics.

mar_phi6
03-16-2009, 05:21 AM
any update?

KM
03-16-2009, 06:48 PM
No update.

I pulled everything apart, but most of my attention is getting my engine running before I invest a bunch of time into the A/C.

NealWright
03-27-2009, 04:01 PM
Was going to try it on the 'vert that Shadow bought ... had a GT-S parts car in the barn, and the 'vert needed a new air box.

Anything is possible ... but the A/C harness is integrated into the main harness running under the dash. The whole harness to the fuse boxes, etc would have to be swapped. Other than that ... A/C controls and air/heater boxes would interchange with motor controlled servo's.

I didn't end up swapping, and just used the good air/heater boxes from the GT-S to replace the cracked one's in the 'vert.

Neal

Celica STi
11-30-2009, 07:55 PM
So, what else do i need beside this part(controls) http://img101.imageshack.us/img101/3424/bd87qbwkkgrhqmokiseq3rs.th.jpg (http://img101.imageshack.us/i/bd87qbwkkgrhqmokiseq3rs.jpg/)

to make my manual hvac to electronic?

Celica STi
12-02-2009, 11:28 PM
Please, can someone tell me?

KM
12-03-2009, 10:11 PM
Nobody's done this before, so nobody's certain.
I completely forgot that I wanted to make this a project.

Celica STi
12-05-2009, 10:25 AM
Oh, thats a catch, well thanks in anyway, if it hapens that i have some progress i will post here...

nyana107
12-07-2009, 06:58 AM
http://www.celicatech.com/forums/showthread.php?t=19564