PDA

View Full Version : N/A Guys: What's your exhaust set-up look like?

92VertGT
03-05-2009, 12:06 PM
I'm stock and I've planned on a 4-1 header and the PaceSetter Monza Cat-Back, because I think it sounds pretty good, though I don't quite understand why most people aren't a fan...first I'm wondering if the header will delete anything like the cat or the resonator and if so, if I should bolt the stock converter on somewhere else and the resonator or if it really is worth it to look into a high-flow cat and if you would reccommend using a different resonator or the stock one or none.

Also I'm wondering what your guys' custom set-ups consist of. You probably hear it a lot but I'm looking for a deep tone from my exhaust that will roar when I punch it but not sound like a rice rocket. I know, so hard to please. :laugh:

One last thing, nothing that is going to cost out of this world please.

Thanks for your input guys.

METDeath
03-05-2009, 12:38 PM
Right now I'm running stock collector and cat, after that it goes up to 2.5" pipe and a Flowmaster 40 series, and it doesn't sound ricey at all. I'm switching to a 3S-GE 4-2-1 short tube header, I'll have to install a cat for emissions, and then same deal, so I'm not expecting a major sound change.

As for the 4-1 header, they usually delete the cat, so you'll have to have the exhaust shop install one, tell them you'd rather have it all on flanges so you can unbolt everything, etc.

92VertGT
03-05-2009, 12:43 PM
Right now I'm running stock collector and cat, after that it goes up to 2.5" pipe and a Flowmaster 40 series, and it doesn't sound ricey at all. I'm switching to a 3S-GE 4-2-1 short tube header, I'll have to install a cat for emissions, and then same deal, so I'm not expecting a major sound change.

As for the 4-1 header, they usually delete the cat, so you'll have to have the exhaust shop install one, tell them you'd rather have it all on flanges so you can unbolt everything, etc.

I've heard some soundclips of Flowmaster 40's on our cars and they don't sound too appealing....then again they were on YouTube and I would imagine the camera doesn't do them justice. :shrug:

Thanks for your advice.

92VertGT
03-05-2009, 01:15 PM
BTW, if you guys could post good quality sound clips it would be much appreciated. I've always thought this forum could use a sticky of sound clips of each members after-market exhaust system with the description of what the full set-up consists of.

METDeath
03-05-2009, 01:33 PM
No, Youtube does not do them justice, nor does my digital camera. If you're coming to Dragon, you can hear mine ;p

extremeskillz
03-05-2009, 01:37 PM
I plan on doing a 2.75 SS exhaust with a high flow cat and borla exhaust!

92VertGT
03-05-2009, 01:41 PM
No, Youtube does not do them justice, nor does my digital camera. If you're coming to Dragon, you can hear mine ;p

Nah, I don't think I'd be able to make it all the way down there.

I plan on doing a 2.75 SS exhaust with a high flow cat and borla exhaust!

Nice, let us know how that sounds once you get it all in place. If I go custom I've considered a Borla muffler (not sure which series) but with 2 1/4" piping, though they can be expensive.

METDeath
03-05-2009, 01:57 PM
Dude... KoreanJoey and Shadowlife25 are both coming, they have a much longer drive than you do ;p Just cruise down to meet the IN crew and drive with them :bigthumbu

92VertGT
03-05-2009, 02:04 PM
Dude... KoreanJoey and Shadowlife25 are both coming, they have a much longer drive than you do ;p Just cruise down to meet the IN crew and drive with them :bigthumbu

They're also not still in high school and living with their parents :P

METDeath
03-05-2009, 02:25 PM
No worries, man. I'm just hassling ya :lolhittin

grayscale
03-05-2009, 02:59 PM
Most people stay away from the pacesetter, and I just outright hate them, because they are poor quality and don't last very long.

Whenever you do anything that involves removing the stock exhaust manifold, you will end up removing the cat because the cat is internal on our cars- made into the bottom half of the manifold.

The resonator is separate, though if you choose to use a larger diameter exhaust pipe with a new header you need to use a resonator of a matching size.

You could use a high flow cat but that gets into a good bit of money.

There are a few options for headers. The ones on ebay are okay, not much better quality than the pacesetters though. We have a product review sticky that includes a review of an ebay header. You can use the 3sge 4-2-1 header like have, but they are very hard to find. The other option is the 98-00 Camry 4-1 header. If you do a search you will find several threads on it.

Mufflers are wide open and we have a lot of threads, some current ones in the other forums, about them. I use a Magnaflow myself.

My personal setup is the 3sge 4-2-1 header, 2.25" pipe, a Magnaflow inline muffler, and another Magnaflow at the end. If 1-10 was a loud scale, 1being quiet and 10 being the loudest, most people would put me around 7.

Hope this helps.

92VertGT
03-05-2009, 06:26 PM
Thanks for the advice, cannon.

Anyone have any experience with the Borla Pro XS? Again, as I stated, I'm looking for a deep tone, not really "LOUD" but nice and low.

celica9303
03-05-2009, 07:08 PM
I have the camry header and 2.25 pipe to a magnaflow muffler. No resonator. If you. Search for camry header you should see my thread about the instaLl it has pics of every thing. Nice sound. At 70 on eway with top down crusing I can barly hear it but when you get on it you can

a_mounty
03-06-2009, 04:46 AM
hmm..... i have a friend with a n/a 2.2 l cobalt with a flowmaster on it and it sounds very nice.... ive always wondered what they sound like on the 2.2l celica...

can anyone post sound clips or vids?

Slider
03-06-2009, 07:04 AM
I have a camry header to magnaflow high flow cat to magnaflow round muffler and it's pretty damn loud.

Ads28
03-06-2009, 11:30 AM
yeaaa now that ive had the pacesetter on there for about a year...i would have gone with somethin else...i have a Ebay header...aftermarket res..then monza cat back...and its to Raspy for my taste...im thinkim of either replacein the res with a cat this year..oorr gettin a new muffler on the end..

92VertGT
03-06-2009, 01:01 PM
Alright I'm considering giving the Flowmaster 40 a shot now, if not, the Borla Pro XS. Either way I'll go with 2.25" piping. The comments on the YouTube videos I saw a while back say that they have the same set-up and it sounds much better in person and the videos don't do justice...

I will want to use at least a resonator though, maybe a high-flow cat. Can I get some recommendations for what to use there?

METDeath
03-06-2009, 04:15 PM
Right now I have the collector and a stock cat, no resonator, I get occasional rasp when revving with no load. Under load is fine though. I guess I'll have to find someone with a good freq response mic on a digital camera and get it that way and just upload it to ctech.

grayscale
03-06-2009, 04:22 PM
I've heard(literally) good things about about the Vibrant resonators. I know at least a couple of people here have them.

92VertGT
03-06-2009, 04:45 PM
Alright I think that's what I'll go with then, 4-1 header, 2.25 x 12 Vibrant resonator right after the header, 2.25" piping-back to the Flowmaster 40 and I'll probably go with a slash cut tip :P does resonator placement make any difference?

grayscale
03-06-2009, 04:59 PM
Not really, but I would suggest putting in about the same place as the stock one- about half down the run IIRC. Don't forget, you'll also need a bit of flex pipe to go in right after the header. Just mimic the way the stock system is laid out and you'll be fine.

Dougy90
03-06-2009, 10:08 PM
Im runnin a stainless 4-1 header, back through 2.25 inch piping, a high-flow cat, and and Apexi muffler with a 3inch tip.

I also deleted the resonator. its a bit loud, but i dont mind it (the cops do lol)

Overall i felt a gain in the low and mid range power and it sounds really good (NO RICEY SOUNDS)

92VertGT
03-07-2009, 05:08 AM
Not really, but I would suggest putting in about the same place as the stock one- about half down the run IIRC. Don't forget, you'll also need a bit of flex pipe to go in right after the header. Just mimic the way the stock system is laid out and you'll be fine.

How much of the flex pipe should I be keeping? Thanks again, you've been good help.

Ryan
03-07-2009, 07:07 AM
I have a e-bay 4-1 header, it does delete the factory cat because the factory cat is bolted to the stock manifold.

After the header, I have stock all the way back to a 2.5" inlet with a flared 3" tip.

I do have a nice exhaust leak from the resonator, so I am planning on getting a new flex pipe and resonator, and then having 2.25" pipe from the resonator to the muffler.

I dont want to go much larger, simply because I dont want to lose back pressure, and I dont want it overly loud. As it is now, when its a calm night, if aaron is standing outside, he can hear my car if I am on it quite a ways away. I blame that on my leak though.

Honestly, I would recommend something similar for you, because I am sure you dont want something overly loud. Just do the header, and get rid of the resonator and replace it with a high flow cat, or, like cannon said, replace the resonator with a vibrant one, and run a high flow cat along with it, and get slightly larger pipe, and then pick a muffler of your choice.

I picked the muffler I had simply because on my car, I dont like the looks of a fart can, and the muffler I have is black, so it looks similar to stock, but gives it a nice deep tone, without the awful rattle.

vip09
03-12-2009, 01:14 AM
Stock 2.5" exhaust with rear muffler section removed.

CriScO
03-12-2009, 04:30 AM
Hmm, missed this one. A little late Vert, but if you never saw it here's my OBX header review, theres a crappy but still fairly accurate sound clip at the end.

http://www.celicatech.com/forums/showthread.php?t=39264

grayscale
03-12-2009, 05:02 AM
Wow, my bad, I totally missed this one Cris. You should have slapped me with a pm :slap:. Now added to the Review sticky!

beingblueeyes
03-18-2009, 03:16 PM
Iím running a e-bay 4-1 header
2.5 inch flex pipe
2.5 inch magnaflow cat. (not punched out)
2.5 inch summit turbo muff.
all 2.5 inch pipe
no resonator

it sounds good at idle nice and low but when i acel it sounds a little fart can'ish all in all not bad for a 17$ muff
heres a pic of the under side (after i installed the mod head)
http://i181.photobucket.com/albums/x297/cascadedhart/DSC00939.jpg

Uncrck2
04-15-2009, 11:51 PM
I have 4-1 header with 2.5 pipe with 2.5 flex to a 2.5 highflow cat to a 2.5 resonator to a turbo muffler with 2.5 inlet and 2.5 outlet, So 2.5 all the way from the header all custom pipes by the way.

Uncrck2
04-15-2009, 11:55 PM
Iím running a e-bay 4-1 header
2.5 inch flex pipe
2.5 inch magnaflow cat. (not punched out)
2.5 inch summit turbo muff.
all 2.5 inch pipe
no resonator

it sounds good at idle nice and low but when i acel it sounds a little fart can'ish all in all not bad for a 17$ muff
heres a pic of the under side (after i installed the mod head)
http://i181.photobucket.com/albums/x297/cascadedhart/DSC00939.jpg

Get a resonator on it i have the same set up as u exactly but with a resonator and it had a deep sound at idle and low rmps then get big louder at mid but not ricey and then it stays same all the way threw the rmps but the resonator helps A LOT.